1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Oud Pass? Interest? Ever Been Done?

Discussion in 'General' started by zeedubbya, May 19, 2020.

1. zeedubbya

zeedubbya Whats this Oud About?

Has this ever been done at all in any Oud Forums anyone has seen? We do these with cigars.

What happens is we gather a list of people who want to participate, have a collection, and are in good standing on the forum. Then one person (the host) starts out and boxes up (safely packaged) say 25 or so cigars—in this case it would be Oud samples. They then mail the box to someone else who is interested in swapping a few of their samples for samples which are in the box. The “puts and takes” have to be approved by the person who starts the box moving—the host. Then that person mails it on to the next person in the list. Next person receives box and makes their puts and takes and sends it to next person. And si on it travels until it makes its way back to the original host, who keeps what’s left—hopefully some new Ouds for them as well. This is just the basics, and I am happy to share info and answer questions.

Also, might be willing to host one if we could get enough interest. I’ve even participated in cigar passes which include an Out of Country shipment. It’s a way for people to try some product they might want to try and for Oud especially, get to sniff some Ouds they might be interested in and might otherwise never be able to smell.

Just a thought. Let me know what you all think.

Cheers!

Z

2. Bigboy

Bigboy True Ouddict

Sounds absolutely awesome but your going to encounter problems.

1. The sample size would be prohibitively large to entertain a large group. This is fine on a less expensive oil but i think most if us, especially the veterans, would be looking for the rarer stuff that's more expensive and less available. I could be totally wrong....had been known to happen.
    2. Most importantly the samples would all have to be in v viald otherwise it would not be hygienic. I am aware of the somewhat anti viral properties of oud oil but it just seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen given the current pandemic seeing as half of us or more don't know if we have covid because many people have no symptoms. Having several different people involved from various places would just be dangerous IMHO at this time. Not to diss anyone's hygiene or anything but who is putting on gloves and a mask to try some oils?

But its a very cool idea. Most of us will just sell one another samples on the cheap or just give them in the spirit of spreading the joy. That reminds me! I have some samples to send out!

Moe Ab, Oudamberlove and Sproaty like this.
  3. zeedubbya

@Bigboy all very valid and with the current pandemic probably not a good idea. BUT. If there wasn’t a deadly virus floating around it would be no different than receiving samples from random people. Believe me, in some of our cigar passes don’t think the thought hasn’t crossed my mind—what if someone “Lewinskied” this cigar I’m about to take....hmmm...

The solution for the hygiene issue is to send out empty v-vials with the box, along with syringes for people to put their “takes” in with. Just some thoughts. Not suggesting this be done right now, was just curious if it had ever been done.

4. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

We had a similar thing but a "blind out test" where various vendors sent samples to one person who then labelled & sent out to members here to review and score based on various criteria - the crux being that you didn't know what you were smelling!

@zeedubbya it's a great idea definitely and I think it's a nice tight-knitted community here to participate with honesty, but @Bigboy raises many valid points - my main one would be the cost aspect, and how to make it a fair share. Perhaps the expectation that you may not get back (the value) of what you give should be made prominent.

Moe Ab and Oudamberlove like this.
  5. zeedubbya

Just for fun—Another way to do it would be through ONLINE only. Here’s how it would work—Everyone puts up 4 samples. This is a MUST participate if you’re in. Say a cheapie, a mid level, a high end and a legend. Everyone lists their 4 samples. Say 6 people are in—24 Ouds on the “pass list” Then you draw for an order. Person 1 decides on a swap. 2 samples from 2 diff people is the requirement. Then those 8 samples are off the board. Swap has to be done same level to same level. Person 2 goes and so on, until the samples are distributed to everyone else. At the end, if anyone wants to offer up a swap with anyone else in the game, they can BUT it has to be 2 for 2. Once the final results are in, everyone sends out 2 packages. Pass is concluded. Just another idea which might work. Idea in progress!

Moe Ab and Oudamberlove like this.

Promote Oud!