Oud Storage

Discussion in 'Agarwood' started by Herakleia, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Herakleia

Herakleia Just Arrived

Hello everyone! I am a newbie in oud love and i wonder where is the best material to keep oud chips, temperature etc.
    And still i have not yet managed to burn a chip successfully.. My last try was with a 10 minutes burned coal and a mica plate but still it burns instantly So i am thinking the Japanese way with thw white ash. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 4 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

2. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Warm welcome to the forum, @Herakleia :)

I can't recommend KyaraZen's DIY heater enough!

Joe King, Woodland Note and Herakleia like this.
  3. Herakleia

Herakleia Just Arrived

Thanks!!

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 4 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Ashfaque likes this.
  4. Herakleia

Herakleia Just Arrived

Just saw the DIY heater. I understand that is an easy DIY project but i am not good with elelectric repairs etc.. Nothing like that in the market??

5. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

No electrical engineering know-how is needed. It's very easy. You just need to be careful while sewing the heating element wire into the mica plate as they're quite thin & brittle. You'll find the details in a thread by me somewhere.

Alternatively you can get one from Treasure Oud for about €75, Imperial Oud and so on.

For a AC/DC one, check Yamada-Matsu.

Herakleia likes this.
  6. humbll

humbll Hopelessly Addicted to Oud

I know this is an old thread but I will post it anyway in case you or someone else needs the info, the way I do it is to light my coal (I prefer the ones without saltpeter, they take a while to fully catch but I cant stand the smell of the quick lighting ones) and bury it under about 1/2 inch or a little more of the white ash in my censor. If you put on too much ash and the wood does not bubble and release the fragrance then simply gently push it down a little at a time until it does. Chips placed on top of this will give up all of the aroma of the agarwood without actually consuming the wood, so no burnt wood smell, just nice oudy fragrance. When done the wood will be black as coal and its time to take it off and place a fresh piece.

Mr.P likes this.
  7. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

This is a classic way to heat wood! I suppose when done right with very clean ash and a fully lit coal, this is as clean as it gets, short of a subitism style heater. this is like the Japanese method of the ash mountain. Works great but I am a klutz anthe coals always stink and it is hard for me to keep the ash clean enough to not stink in itself. I tried sifting the ash, etc. but in the end when I have done this over time the scents get all muddied. I burn too much for this to yield a clean fragrance for me. Maybe mica on top of the ash to keep the ash from absorbing whatever it is you are heating though...

humbll likes this.
  8. humbll

humbll Hopelessly Addicted to Oud

The ash does tend to absorb odors over time, but I find that once every 1-2 months, or more often if necessary, you can refresh the ash by dumping it onto a baking sheet and putting this in an oven on a high setting, say 350-400 degrees, for a half hour or an hour, this will "sterilize" the ash and make it have no smell anymore. If this is too much of a hassle, the white ash is so inexpensive you should be able to afford to just replace it from time to time. The ash in my censor is well over 5 years old though, since it is so easy to refresh.

Promote Oud!