Ouddict Forum Changes

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by Ouddict, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Ouddict

Ouddict Forum Co-Founder & Tech Support

Hi All...
    Some old timers have noticed that Ouddict has become very busy in the marketplace and vendor spaces to the detriment of meaningful and fruitful discussions on the main threads.

When we started the forum, we wanted a place where people could exchange knowledge and information and cross-check all this to prevent marketing masquerading as knowledge. This is why we made separate provision for a marketplace and placed vendors in their own spaces so that the rest of those who wanted a commercial free environment could discuss on the rest of the forum.

However what has happened instead is that the main boards are quiet and the marketplace is booming which is a testament to the success of some vendors on here and that is fine. However, it has to be balanced by the non-commercial side. This is despite efforts from the management to generate a place that has cutting-edge and a great knowledge base. To that end, we have done the following:

1. Paid for and created a blog space - never been used.
    2. Paid for and created a wiki - never been used.
    3. Initiated Oud of the Year and the UK and USA OudFests which are the largest exercises of their kind globally.
    4. Articles section on the home page
    5. Asked vendors to share their knowledge by posting informative non-commercial posts and contributions on the main threads that are non-commercial (this has happened to some extent, but not enough).

So we are open for suggestions on how to get this place revitalised. It can and should be better than this. I have some ideas and will be asking interested members to take charge of projects that we have planned over the next year. But for those of you who are interested, please let me know your ideas on this thread and what you might be able to do to join in making this forum much busier and larger than it currently is.

If there is a muted response, then after trying this positive approach detailed above and it not working, we may decide to curtail the marketplace and limit the number of vendors on here to those that actually make an active non-commercial contribution.... this is imminent if this call to build on what we have does not get the required response. So let’s avoid that scenario by helping rebalance this forum.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Grega, Elixir Attar and Hamza H like this.
  2. Elixir Attar

Elixir Attar True Ouddict

Well
    To be honest it seems to be the case-here is my insight on the matter.

A couple of weeks ago i wrote a private message to another vendor asking for advice about a perfumery component and was going to write about that perfumery component publicly and wngage in a public conv about it.

I also wrote you privately about the same matter if you remember, (seeking deer musk absolute).

That vendor however and instead of giving me a nice brotherly response he gave me indeed a very rude response.

A rude response to the extent that i would avoid to purchase from the same vendor or deal with them in anyway even if they have the most beautiful products.

It also put me off discussing the perfumery component itself - which is only a natural reaction.

I think you might not get my point posting about that, but what i mean is that first of all some of the vendors need to act more friendly and engage with other people.

I get the feeling that some vendors are acting from a point where they think they are above the customer and their fellow vendors, hence abstaining from entering into the conversation.

Second, if any forum members have a thing with a specific vendor they should write it publicly instead of back talking with other forum members.

This would help clarify matters and prevent people from feeling that things are being surrounded by secrecy, etc.

Third, people need to participate more in the discussions, and that wont happen if many many people are on edge- which is the feeling i get.

Personally i used to get 3-4 likes on any post- specially ones with new info or interesting perfumery matters, etc.

Again, 2 days ago i wrote about perfume anosmism- nill- zero response
    For me its an indicator the subject wasnt interesting for the forum members.

So what i would suggest doing is getting the forum members to vote on matters they see interesting and are willing to engage more in-
    Sort of like perfume of the year poll style- however to collect info and act upon it-

I hope i could answer your question partially.

Grega and Ouddict like this.
  3. Elixir Attar

Amd by the way
    I dont use the blog space or wiki because i dont know how to !!!
    Please share information on how to use the wiki and blog etc.
    I actually am bad with tech:)

Ouddict likes this.
  4. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

I'm working on that specific thing ...

I still have 2 distillations to handle, 3 ones blocked that I need to sort out, some items to put on the store then after I stop and I will try to bring some animation on the forum ...

Grega and Elixir Attar like this.
  5. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

One word on why discussion has almost ceased Censorship.
    That fact that this is no longer seen as a place where one can openly give there opinion without fear of censorship or upsetting vendors has caused many to either leave or not bother contributing.

Bilalw, OudGood, Martin and 4 others like this.
  6. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

I believe someone tried that and got censored.

Martin and Oudamberlove like this.
  7. Elixir Attar

Pub
    writing publicly doesn't mean throwing false accusations
    Thats a totally different issue.

Grega likes this.
  8. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

If things are false then they can be shown to be so , if we are to have a completely open forum then people need to be able to express their opinions be they right or wrong. Unless we have a vendor driven forum in which the vendors matter more than the consumers......

Martin, Habz786, Oudamberlove and 4 others like this.
  9. Elixir Attar

Yes
    I agree
    If its an “opinion”
    Like - your oils smell synthetic
    Or a gcms prove your oils are synthetic
    But if someone says
    The oils you use are low quality synthetic- and not seem like they are of low quality- then its not acceptable.
    Plus- how do i know that or this members dont promote some on the expense of others?
    Besides the decision for the member you are talking about was theirs- noone forced them to leave dear

10. Grega

Grega True Ouddict

I think Joe brings out a good point. Ever since closing that thread by Rai Munir I felt like the atmosphere has changed on the forum. While I completely disagreed with Rai Munir on those points I found that closing the thread and changing the post was unfortunate. Even more unfortunate was that Rai Munir left as I think all those problems could have been solved with a nice heated debate. But we shouldn't forget that mods have a difficult job sometimes and they should be given some slack. Especially since I don't see any malevolent agenda or constant censorship going on.
    And vendors and customers should be given some slack too. I have read many a weird exchange between vendors and customers that felt like one or both parties were completely missing the mark. I might have even participated in some heated debates myself without really putting myself in other posters' shoes...I regret some posts...but try to change the bad by not holding any ill will towards anyone here.

I'll continue posting my experiences with oud and with other oils and keep on reading those of others. One thing though...people, for the love of god and all things holy, don't tease us with oud of the day posts where you just post the name of the oud! Thoughts, experiences, feelings evoked, that's what I love to read about. And please don't be shy, if I can write these, anyone can :X3::Roflmao:
    We can get our impressions completely wrong, our associations wild, but they still make for interesting/humorous reading. I remember writing that a certain oil wasn't bitter at all and then next time I caught myself enjoying the same oil because of its bitter character :Roflmao:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Dan, Chipkill, Ouddict and 9 others like this.
  11. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

[QUOTE="Elixir Attar, post: 42446, member: 660"low quality synthetic- and not seem like they are of low quality- then its not acceptable.
    /QUOTE]
    If someone says they seem low quality, then this is an opinion only, but you are saying this is unacceptable

F4R1d0uX and Grega like this.
  12. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Sorry I am guilty of not posting descriptions in ootd but there is a separate section for reviews.

13. Elixir Attar

No u miss understood me
    If someone says it seems thats perfectly accetable
    But if aomeone says it IS low quality- without proof, then its a ridiculous claim which can be saif
    But no vendor would accept it i guess

F4R1d0uX and Grega like this.
  14. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Quality is a subjective thing and open to interpretation. Your idea of high quality may be low quality to me. This is an opinion.

Oudamberlove, F4R1d0uX and Tarik like this.
  15. Elixir Attar

Alright
    Whatever u say-
    However even at times when he was active on the forum only he and 3-4 other members were active and the engagement level was waning,
    So this lack of activity on the forum is irrelevant to him

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  16. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Whatever you say

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  17. Tarik

Tarik Junior Member

tumblr_oqg3n86QM31v5hu1qo1_250.gif

Ouddict.com

Dan, rojas, Oudamberlove and 3 others like this.
  18. F4R1d0uX

19. F4R1d0uX

It's cool with this debate, ouddict is becoming ouddict again !

Oudamberlove, Sproaty and Grega like this.
  20. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

For me, it's...I dunno, lack of enthusiasm towards the subject now. I'll be honest, I've not really "taken in" a lot of the oud information over the past years, I've read a ton but it's not sunk in and I think I've sort of reached a limit of interest. I still really enjoy to wear oils and to burn the woods but I don't know how much more I can take. I'm making an effort towards holding off - I refused to buy oud in the London fayre!

I've never been one to chip into these discussions and instead take a back seat and read (but I guess, not absorb!) the information as I had nothing to contribute myself. I've realised that many of my posts over the past few months have been in the 'oud of the day' but my descriptions are lacking, so it's become a "why do I post this?" - I sort of enjoy posting that to Instagram instead

so I don't know what the answer is, for me. Maybe I need to re-digest information and make an effort to actually learn it, but honestly I'm not sure if I will. As a consumer, does it really benefit me to know the species of ouds and whatnot? Of what importance is it to my life? Can't I just enjoy the hobby for what it is instead of getting into the nitty gritty details?

I think, yes, of course I can. To me, oud is an interesting scent but it hasn't had a profound effect on my life as I see described by some, I just enjoy it, and that's that really.

Chipkill, VPhong, MzM and 4 others like this.

Promote Oud!