Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
I will start the bitch slapping @RisingPhoenix , wheres my mention! I'm only kidding. You're right there though, we've helped each other out, possibly "sacrificed" sales to others but all in good spirit and camaraderie. The first one in London came about after a conversation between @Ouddict and me a couple of years ago and its snowballed from there.
Regarding information about distilling, materials used, locations etc then we all present info dependent on our own knowledge and experience. Yes we are resellers of some products but we have to be as we are offering oud oils from multiple locations, we have to use partners on the ground to cover such large geographical expanses.
Of course vendors are here to promote their own products as its an open platform. Customers are under no pressure to buy from each and all of us but what this place provides one is hopefully a free area to discuss, debate and share. I'm sure the other vendors here have no issue in accepting criticism, as long as its not malicious then i say bring it on.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
I will start the bitch slapping @RisingPhoenix , wheres my mention! I'm only kidding. You're right there though, we've helped each other out, possibly "sacrificed" sales to others but all in good spirit and camaraderie. The first one in London came about after a conversation between @Ouddict and me a couple of years ago and its snowballed from there.
Regarding information about distilling, materials used, locations etc then we all present info dependent on our own knowledge and experience. Yes we are resellers of some products but we have to be as we are offering oud oils from multiple locations, we have to use partners on the ground to cover such large geographical expanses.
Of course vendors are here to promote their own products as its an open platform. Customers are under no pressure to buy from each and all of us but what this place provides one is hopefully a free area to discuss, debate and share. I'm sure the other vendors here have no issue in accepting criticism, as long as its not malicious then i say bring it on.

Actually - @Faizal_p said something really touching at the event, “I think I see you guys (my competitors) more than I see my own friends.” Comical - but touching. It’s true - looking like many of us will see each other at least twice a year.

Some may have heard that Faizal Reached out to me back in September 2017 when I was in Dubai and asked if I was free to get together because he was also in town. He and I spent several hours together, as well as sitting down to a damn good pot of milk tea in the bowels of Wafi Mall.

All of us enjoyed taking jabs at each other at the show and it was quite a bit of laughs at one another’s expense.

It was some damn good fun.

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Hi All...
Some old timers have noticed that Ouddict has become very busy in the marketplace and vendor spaces to the detriment of meaningful and fruitful discussions on the main threads.

When we started the forum, we wanted a place where people could exchange knowledge and information and cross-check all this to prevent marketing masquerading as knowledge. This is why we made separate provision for a marketplace and placed vendors in their own spaces so that the rest of those who wanted a commercial free environment could discuss on the rest of the forum.

However what has happened instead is that the main boards are quiet and the marketplace is booming which is a testament to the success of some vendors on here and that is fine. However, it has to be balanced by the non-commercial side. This is despite efforts from the management to generate a place that has cutting-edge and a great knowledge base. To that end, we have done the following:

1. Paid for and created a blog space - never been used.
2. Paid for and created a wiki - never been used.
3. Initiated Oud of the Year and the UK and USA OudFests which are the largest exercises of their kind globally.
4. Articles section on the home page
5. Asked vendors to share their knowledge by posting informative non-commercial posts and contributions on the main threads that are non-commercial (this has happened to some extent, but not enough).

So we are open for suggestions on how to get this place revitalised. It can and should be better than this. I have some ideas and will be asking interested members to take charge of projects that we have planned over the next year. But for those of you who are interested, please let me know your ideas on this thread and what you might be able to do to join in making this forum much busier and larger than it currently is.

If there is a muted response, then after trying this positive approach detailed above and it not working, we may decide to curtail the marketplace and limit the number of vendors on here to those that actually make an active non-commercial contribution.... this is imminent if this call to build on what we have does not get the required response. So let’s avoid that scenario by helping rebalance this forum.

So my original points stand. We will be bringing in changes to the Marketplace within the month if things do not change for the better. However, we will first make an effort to bring about that change. It is up to members to respond.

Ouddict

Actually - @Faizal_p said something really touching at the event, “I think I see you guys (my competitors) more than I see my own friends.” Comical - but touching. It’s true - looking like many of us will see each other at least twice a year.

I remember that as we were packing up at the end. Struck me as quite poignant that we have managed to establish a community like this and brought together otherwise disparate views and interests. It’s not easy, but it’s working.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
I remember that as we were packing up at the end. Struck me as quite poignant that we have managed to establish a community like this and brought together otherwise disparate views and interests. It’s not easy, but it’s working.

I rather enjoy seeing you all. Work somehow feels like vacation at these events. :)

VPhong

Oud Tea
So my original points stand. We will be bringing in changes to the Marketplace within the month if things do not change for the better. However, we will first make an effort to bring about that change. It is up to members to respond.

I have not posted here for a while but I definitely enjoy coming to this forum from time to time. I am very grateful to you @Ouddict and all the moderators and staffs who contribute towards making this space into what it is >> A GREAT PLACE FOR OUD LOVERS TO COME TOGETHER AND TALK/SHARE/TRADE OUD.

During my oud journey I have gone through different phases of excitement and being active, developing and evolving, reflecting, being contented with what I have and where I am, slowing down and idleness. I feel I will repeat this loop many times over in my journey with my interests evolving and jumping from topic to topic. Perhaps this ebb and flow of life should also be expected within the forum as reflected by the level of activity and changes.

I enjoy the marketplace here and believe the openness and opportunities attract many people. It is a credit to how things are managed that such an environment exists. Whilst at times it may appear that things are too focused on sales I believe many ouddicts become deeply passionate about the oils and wood. This naturally will lead to talk/reviews/discussions/exploration about ouds in its own time. That said, I concur with @Habz786 on the marketplace being for members who contribute and have a certain number of posts.

powdernose

Oud Sprite
During my oud journey I have gone through different phases of excitement and being active, developing and evolving, reflecting, being contented with what I have and where I am, slowing down and idleness. I feel I will repeat this loop many times over in my journey with my interests evolving and jumping from topic to topic. Perhaps this ebb and flow of life should also be expected within the forum as reflected by the level of activity and changes.

Very well said.

Hamza H

Resident Artisan

Could we have vendors contributing to the wiki? I mean they should be the most knowledgeable ones here. If we started with different materials, grades of wood and regions and had them chip in together with their expertise?

Sort of beginners intro to oud?

Joe King

AttitOud
I second what Nadeem has said in regards to the whole situation with respected @Rai Munir, i was also involved in trying to resolve the issue with no luck. I think everyone is free to share their views on oils, however unfactual incorrect biased statements on products is simply unfair. However if its based on facts and evidence everyone is all eyes and ears. It brings a quote to mind

"Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear"

Credit to Nadeem who has put alot of time and effort here, i simply couldnt commit to the future of the forum. I think people sometimes forget or just dont know how difficult it is to run a place like this and with no financial gain. I havent benfitted a penny from this forum and im sure nor has Nadeem. In fact many times when enquiring about oils i was offered free samples due to starting/running the forum but never accepted and always paid. Faizal had kindly gifted me samples on a few occasions but i couldnt refuse a gift :p. I didnt want to feel like i was abusing my power. It is all done out of love thats why we are all here. My view is market place should be limited to members who contribute and have a certain number of posts....
I agree with the marketplace being limited to members who contribute. There is a lot of trust involved in the marketplace and I fear it wont be long before someone is scammed.

Ouddict

Could we have vendors contributing to the wiki? I mean they should be the most knowledgeable ones here. If we started with different materials, grades of wood and regions and had them chip in together with their expertise?

Sort of beginners intro to oud?

I like this idea... I know a this isn’t relevant to the original topic, but as we are talking about all this and it’s productive let’s use the momentum.

So all vendors can you confirm if you are able to populate the Wiki for specific topics that Hamza has alluded to? I can cover for Al Hashimi.

Ouddict

I agree with the marketplace being limited to members who contribute. There is a lot of trust involved in the marketplace and I fear it wont be long before someone is scammed.

Yes that’s a possibility, but to be honest, we don’t want to restrict it. The forum has been run in a way that is as open and free as possible, but if we see that something isn’t working we will have to change things to make sure the forum stays healthy and balanced.

MzM

Oud King
Hi everyone, just to be clear: there is no discussion about closing the marketplace, no one is proposing that.
I'm glad you said this, I honestly did think that's what this was about. It would be a shame if the marketplace went away, because as someone mentioned there is a lot of getting to know people and their passion for oud via the marketplace.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Very well said.
I like this idea... I know a this isn’t relevant to the original topic, but as we are talking about all this and it’s productive let’s use the momentum.

So all vendors can you confirm if you are able to populate the Wiki for specific topics that Hamza has alluded to? I can cover for Al Hashimi.

Can we start compiling a list of topics so we can sign up for specific areas upon which to contribute?

Another approach would be for members to request certain vendors for certain topics

Ouddict

I'm glad you said this, I honestly did think that's what this was about. It would be a shame if the marketplace went away, because as someone mentioned there is a lot of getting to know people and their passion for oud via the marketplace.

The marketplace will never be closed. If you read my original post, nowhere does it even remotely imply that. Placing restrictions in order to stop people joining only to sell was suggested as a possible last resort. We don’t want to place restrictions, but we do want to see a healthy forum outside of the marketplace, otherwise in the words of one member who complained, it’s become another eBay.

By the way, that member who complained indirectly (via another party) is conspicuous by his silence now which is really frustrating. Why complain if you don’t want to be part of the solution?

zahir

Ouducation Student
In order to educate and ensure more participation from members at the forum, I propose that vendors take turn to initiate meaningful discussion on a regular basis (perhaps one topics each month). They can lead the talks and educate the masses while engaging with members and answering their queries to the relevant matter.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
In order to educate and ensure more participation from members at the forum, I propose that vendors take turn to initiate meaningful discussion on a regular basis (perhaps one topics each month). They can lead the talks and educate the masses while engaging with members and answering their queries to the relevant matter.

Another good idea. Hopefully folks would play ball if something like this were undertaken

Bilalw

Oud Fan
marketplace is a trusted environment. I have bought from 3 separate ppl whom I never would have, at decent deals off original price for "used" ouds. so far great experiences. the feedback section is great and useful also. the fact I only lurk around the forum now mostly is just cause I dont have much to contribute, or time to do it. I have made good use of the marketplace tho. thanks for a good safe place to sell and buy, and trade oils. aside from that its mostly just a hobby forum and if you expect ppl to engage so much in regards to oud, it just seems strange. to populate a wiki about oud also seems like it wouldnt take long nor have much info. i could be way off i suppose. to me oud is just a nice scent. its not the place for me to brag about what im wearing today, or what im burning, it seems wrong to do so actually. so i dont get on and say im wearing such and such look at me. i got money to swipe and burn literally. it can make others feel bad, give others evil eye and other negatives can come from it. ppl are starving and im swiping oil that could feed them for a year ?? its a bit much. to devote so much time and thought into it, to cruise the forum and throw my 2 cents worth of opinion into a discussion also seems nearly pointless, certainly not beneficial. giving long winded reviews on a completely subjective matter is also strange to me... i dont even bother reading them. they seem like a joke or an advertisement perhaps and there is much better things to read which are reward worthy.

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
aside from that its mostly just a hobby forum and if you expect ppl to engage so much in regards to oud, it just seems strange. to populate a wiki about oud also seems like it wouldnt take long nor have much info. i could be way off i suppose. to me oud is just a nice scent. its not the place for me to brag about what im wearing today, or what im burning, it seems wrong to do so actually. so i dont get on and say im wearing such and such look at me. i got money to swipe and burn literally. it can make others feel bad, give others evil eye and other negatives can come from it. ppl are starving and im swiping oil that could feed them for a year ?? its a bit much. to devote so much time and thought into it, to cruise the forum and throw my 2 cents worth of opinion into a discussion also seems nearly pointless, certainly not beneficial. giving long winded reviews on a completely subjective matter is also strange to me... i dont even bother reading them. they seem like a joke or an advertisement perhaps and there is much better things to read which are reward worthy.

To address these points, to some it maybe a hobby but for a few this is their living, their sustenance.
The shores of Oud are vast, @Alkhadra has put in a huge amount of work recently from which you can see just how complex this field is. There's plenty to be discussed and debated if done in a polite manner.
Most importantly in the the Islamic tradition fragrance is given a huge emphasis, many ahadith regarding fragrance and it's special place in the deen. Even the pious predecessors spent a sizeable amount of their wealth on fragrance especially Oud, musk, camphor, saffron and rose. I don't think it should be belittled as just a hobby, this is my 2 pence.