Devon

Oud Beginner
Hi All,

I am new to oud, I love the scent of oud especially after it interacted with skin and created and a new scent. I had recently purchased a few ouds from various vendors including EO, and some private parties. I have no doubt the oil I purchased from were genuine and untainted as they were from respected and reputable individual/vendor from this forum. I noticed I have developed rashes (red and itchy) on the area that I applied the oud oil. I usually applied on the area between the neck to chest. I tried most of the oud and they all gave me similar rashes. I wonder if you have similar experience. If so, how do you avoid it. Thank you in advance for your help.

D

Hi All,

I am new to oud, I love the scent of oud especially after it interacted with skin and created and a new scent. I had recently purchased a few ouds from various vendors including EO, and some private parties. I have no doubt the oil I purchased from were genuine and untainted as they were from respected and reputable individual/vendor from this forum. I noticed I have developed rashes (red and itchy) on the area that I applied the oud oil. I usually applied on the area between the neck to chest. I tried most of the oud and they all gave me similar rashes. I wonder if you have similar experience. If so, how do you avoid it. Thank you in advance for your help.

D

Sounds like contact dermatitis to me.

It may come and go depending on your body’s immunity, health, and amount of exposure.

I swipe on my palms mainly, to avoid CD. But every now and then on my wrists/arms. Sometimes they will react, sometimes not.

I don’t like drowning my nose in scent so I don’t do neck or chest anymore. Gotta keep my sniffer sharp;)

Either that or stop swiping oud:eek::confused::Cry::Cry::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

Devon

Oud Beginner
@Oudamberlove

Thanks you for your input. That is interesting. I've never thought about oud oil could cause allergic reaction, as it was most natural fragrance you could have without alcohol or other artificial chemical. I quickly look it up, (I am only assuming) if the oil has Urushiol in its oleoresin, a sap from poison ivy and lacquer tree, or something similar, it could cause a reaction. I shouldn't be too surprised, I am always amazed how the nature has it own way to protect itself from their predictor. That is just about what aquilaria trees does in the nature, producing the oil to protect itself from bacteria and other injuries.

Or it could be a completely different thing that causes the reaction. I wish I have a lab to find out what exactly causes my breakout.

I would like to swipe on my palms, I only wash my hands about 20 times a day and by the 5th or 6th time the scent were way gone.

If other members have more info about this subject, please feel free to chime in. It is a shame not being able to use these wonderful oil directly on skin.

Oud is a product of distillation which creates compounds not naturally found in the raw oleoresin of the agarwood.

But you never know what your system will accept or reject.

In my case, it comes and goes......I guess when it happens to you, time to try an alternate spot to swipe.

Oud keeps fragrant longer on fabric.

Dr Musadiq Alaqaband

Just Arrived
Hi All,

D
I had the Same issue during winter months. But as summer arrived the prob is gone. I thnk the issue is with skin dryness. Apply adequte moisturiser may help. Another thing i will say try different sites to apply oud. Dont apply repeatedly on same site. One more thing apply a mild steroid cream hydrocotisone 1% will do wonders. Hope the problem is sorted out.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

sami

True Ouddict
I had a similar experience with one of the attar samplers I received a few months back. As soon as i applied the attar on my beard, it started to itch and burn so had to wash off immediately. I have never had such a reaction to oud oils before so must be an absolute/essential oil in the attar that caused an allergic reaction.

Devon

Oud Beginner
I had the Same issue during winter months. But as summer arrived the prob is gone. I thnk the issue is with skin dryness. Apply adequte moisturiser may help. Another thing i will say try different sites to apply oud. Dont apply repeatedly on same site. One more thing apply a mild steroid cream hydrocotisone 1% will do wonders. Hope the problem is sorted out.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk
That makes sense. I was in Hawaii last month when I tried my first few ouds, and it didn't bother me at all. It was warm and humid and I even think the scents last longer. Now I am back in Southern California, it is a lot dryer and I got the rash problem. I also think the scent disappear faster, maybe because the oil absorbs into skin quicker in dryer weather. Thanks for the moisturizer and hydrocortisone suggestion.

That prom me to think; if diluting the oud oil, with argan or jojoba oil would help the skin from reacting. It could be moisturizing as well. :) I shall give it a try when I am recovered from this rash.

Devon

Oud Beginner
I had a similar experience with one of the attar samplers I received a few months back. As soon as i applied the attar on my beard, it started to itch and burn so had to wash off immediately. I have never had such a reaction to oud oils before so must be an absolute/essential oil in the attar that caused an allergic reaction.

Thank you for sharing your experience. That attar seems very strong if only applied to the beard would cause a reaction. Good thing it was only a sample.

sahrenity

Just Arrived
You should use 100% organic oil to avoid all problems. You can check this website with oils oils to find something for yourself. An online store is quite good - wide range of products, affordable prices, fast support crew