Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood Oil

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Jun 19, 2019.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Coming soon ... this will represent the very best of the best for RHS
    Here is a pic of the log ill be juicing 111111111111111111111111.png

2. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Wow. What’s the diameter on that?

Woodland Note and tyson like this.
  3. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

its 13 inch

4. OudGood

OudGood True Ouddict

How much oil you think you’ll get out of it?

Woodland Note likes this.
  5. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

That a good question , fully resonated sinking sandal wood I get a max of 6 percent , this is not sinking so im guessing 2 percent

6. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

Selling any wood pieces @tyson ?
    Have only tried Mysore & Sri Lankan sandalwood so far...been curious about Hawaiian...

7. Mr.P

How are you planning to reduce that log to some kind of distillable dust? You must need some kind of special equipment.

Woodland Note and tyson like this.
  8. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Ive been using a little hatched and then I have a grinding machine once its all in chips

9. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

This wood ive been studying ,meditating and listening to …

Ive come to the conclusion it needs to be fermented to a noble rot and then distilled . Usually im against any soak when it comes to sandalwood but ive been directed by the wood and spirit so im going to do a interesting fermentation adding honey and pineapple and a couple vanilla beans for good measure . The vanilla wont impart any scent but will add a loving vibration into the pot.
    I remember when I was a kid and my mom made those Christmas fruit cakes , while I was not fond of the cakes I can remember going into the pantry and opening the container that held the fruit with the sugar mix and how I really enjoyed the fermented smell , it is a noble rot indeed.
    This wood is quite musky to say the least and I think it has developed that noble rot within its heartwood . As a arborist I cut into a lot of woods and I have become familiar with different rot type smells some being quite nasty to some that are very beautiful , some cheese some almost flowery .A whole mystery to be sure ! What better wood to soak and ferment then than a wood that already has a noble rot to it . I wont add much honey just enough to keep the balance so not to many microbes grow and the pineapple will feed the bacteria . It will be a fairly quick ferment

Will be a very unique oil to be sure ….
    Pics to come of the process

Rasoul Salehi, Woodland Note and Mr.P like this.
  10. Mr.P

I know what you mean - I have split a lot of Douglas fir and maple, some dried/cured right away and others recovered after spending various amounts of time exposed to the elements. the difference in scent between the stuff that spent time wet (and possibly multiple times) vs. material that was harvested and cured in a dry shed was dramatic and I smelled things that remind me of certain traditional old style funky soaked ouds... a certain oil from Laos comes to mind. Is the wood still moist in its interior? Was this something that spent time in water or maybe on the forest floor?

I wonder -is there some part of the world where a sandalwood fermentation process has been tested and refined? This is a bold experiment indeed - it will be very interesting to hear about what you discover!

11. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

This wood did come from a fallen dead tree that spent time on the ground . The interior was dry though but could have been wet earlier on before I got it. I heated the mix up in the pot until it was warm not hot to get things started … Im not aware of any sandalwood techniques for fermentation and honestly Id rather not know as I like to do it intuitively . Ill keep smelling the pot and when I feel its ready ill start the pot up ^^
    Nothing ventured nothing gained , at worst its a fail and if it works ill have a beautiful musky spicy sweet sandalwood oil . I think that's worth the risk ^^

What im trying to do is grow a culture that's already present in the noble rot that's formed within the wood . The sugars will feed this

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  12. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

All the best.

The previous batches were superb. This new will be superb too. At the moment, you are the second vendor whose Santal oil is above any doubt because you yourself distilled it. The first one is Mr. Taha. I watched the video of Santal distillation by Mr. Taha. Both your and Mr. Taha's oils have the same colour. Fantastic.

13. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

ah your most kind @Rai Munir I do my best to bring unique pure oils into creation . So far the still smells really nice with the mix of the pineapple and sandal lets hope that carries through into the oil / In any event it will be a one of a kind , lets hope its a really good one of a kind . I have a feeling im either going to love it or hate it :p
    As a musk lover I feel this oil will resonate with the musk man !!
    Thanks for mentioning me in the same sentence as taha , ive learned a lot from him watching his videos and techniques and his authenticity when it comes to purity and perfection . We all ride on the backs of giants

Rai Munir, Rasoul Salehi and Joe King like this.
  14. Kabir Attars

Kabir Attars OudSufi

When will this be available for purchase.

15. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Rasoul Salehi, Bryan-I and Grega like this.

Promote Oud!