Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
just curious - how do you all handle burning / heating sandalwood? For me, I love the top notes but there is always a kind of harsh burnt wood bitterness that takes over more quickly than I'd like. I wish there was a way to really amplify the top notes and repress the burnt ones. I guess the way to do this is with larger amounts of wood at lower temperatures - not directly on coals. Sandalwood has always been a tough one when it comes to fumigation/ burning. Heating it monkoh style works beautifully but does not fill the environment.
Reviving an old thread so apologies. I've just newly got my hands on an electric heater and i'm figuring out the temps for my New Mountain Wild Australian sandalwood chips. I'm seeing low and slow as the reference. How low are we talking exactly?

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Reviving an old thread so apologies. I've just newly got my hands on an electric heater and i'm figuring out the temps for my New Mountain Wild Australian sandalwood chips. I'm seeing low and slow as the reference. How low are we talking exactly?
I usually tell folks to “learn their individual heater - and learn the individual material”

Keeping in mind a flat, even surface and an ideal thickness of a rice grain.

The “low” is where you start getting action. Let it plateau - and then bump the heat. Rinse and repeat.

A patient Listener can stretch out an individual piece of wood for 3 or more hours. Or you can peel rubber and you’ll get a solid 30-60 seconds.

It’s all up to the user.

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
I usually tell folks to “learn their individual heater - and learn the individual material”

Keeping in mind a flat, even surface and an ideal thickness of a rice grain.

The “low” is where you start getting action. Let it plateau - and then bump the heat. Rinse and repeat.

A patient Listener can stretch out an individual piece of wood for 3 or more hours. Or you can peel rubber and you’ll get a solid 30-60 seconds.

It’s all up to the user.
Great advice thanyou. I'm a bit excited and wanting to try everything I have at once. Lol. The chips I have are actually pretty chunky which given the 500g bag I have of them I need to shave them down. I don't believe I'll ever need to buy sandalwood again!

Attachments

• [Ouddict.com] Sandalwood Chips
    PXL_20230916_004824807.MP.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 66
  • [Ouddict.com] Sandalwood Chips
    PXL_20230916_005035489.MP.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 50

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Great advice thanyou. I'm a bit excited and wanting to try everything I have at once. Lol. The chips I have are actually pretty chunky which given the 500g bag I have of them I need to shave them down. I don't believe I'll ever need to buy sandalwood again!
Nice 👍🏼

This is where you’ll need to learn to either cut or chase them down. Too thick and the heat won’t penetrate all the way through, and will scorch the wood in trying to heat it all the way through.

Lots of technique to this all 😆