1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Santal X - Sandalwood Resin

Discussion in 'Oud Reviews' started by Taesik Yun, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Taesik Yun

Taesik Yun Oud Fanatic Staff Member

Santal X, The Sandalwood resin extracted from Ceylon sandalwood heartwood.

Yes, you heard it right. the resin of sandalwood. The soul of sandalwood.
    very little people know about sandalwood resin and even fewer people smelt it. yet, it exists.

Al Hashimi brought this mystical entity to life. and I got a privilege to grab a few granules of it. so, I'll share my interpretation with you.

I'll borrow the review form from respected incense master KyaraZen and artisanal oud house Al Hashimi to give you a more well-structured review.

Brand: Al Hashimi
    Source: Ceylon sandalwood, extracted from heartwood part
    Incense perception distance: 60cm away
    Amount burnt so far before this review: 0.3gram
    Burner: DIY subitism burner(3v - 12v)

Observation
    Brown-ish black. it reflects light a lot due to high oil contents. left dusty residue when touching it. very compactly packed with small grains.

Phase 0 - Room temperature
    It emits a light floral, milky, woody sweet aroma. kinda similar to the old Mysore profile(Referring to vintage sandalwood from Agarwood Assam) but has a stronger milky aroma. I assume this material needs an air-tight container. it penetrates a plastic zip-lock bag. it smells very strong when taken out of the bag. Wow, this stuff smells like burning sandalwood even on the room temperature!

Phase 1 - First Contact
    Started with 7 on the dial. The resin liquidizes almost instantly. it emits cedar-ish woody, ethereal smell. so far, so good.

Phase 2 - Bubble
    Adjusted temperature to 10 on the dial. it emits profound caramelly, vanilla-ish, frangipani-ish sweet, light but tenacious, condensed milk smell. I get a kyara-ish taste back of the throat but in a sandalwood way.

Phase 3 - Settle
    Same temperature. it emits x100 time condensed milk. ghee butter. smells very heavy almost smells nutty. specifically, macadamia. it is heavy but not cloying. my mouth keeps making saliva like a pond. no psychoactive effect. mmhm! it smells so good and tasty! I mean, I want to eat a bag of this if it's okay. it might give me diabetes though.

Phase 4 - Lingering
    Ocean of sandalwood waves. it fills up the whole room even with the tiny(0.1g) of resin. on emotion wise, I get an intoxicating and mesmerizing feeling. it is like a religious experience. also, it gives a cooling effect on the body and left cool, milky taste on the tongue. it tastes gourmet. even Gordon Ramsay would LOVE this.

[​IMG]

*Tested with '14' on the dial about 2sec. smells burnt and unpleasant.

Comment
    This Ceylon sandalwood changed my perception of sandalwood. I'm not sure it applies to all Ceylon sandalwood but this one has a more milky aroma and heady quality compared to Mysore sandalwood. honestly, this is one of the best sandalwoods I've ever experienced. I have no hesitation to call it 'kyara' of sandalwood not because of its rarity but solely of its smell.

I love it, however, there's one thing that it’s missing. the profoundness of Mysore sandalwood. if I could, I'd mix this heady Ceylon sandalwood and profound Mysore sandalwood then add a touch of airy, powdery white ambergris. that would make THE sandalwood I'd die for.

But you can't buy this with money whenever you want because the yield is so low. From 1kg of premium quality sandalwood heartwood, you get less than 10g. So I wouldn't recommend it because you won't be able to get this again when you finish it up. so I would have to be in a situation serious emotional crisis to burn this precious material. like, I break up with soul mate or something.

if you love sandalwood like me, don't miss it. grab it and put it on your top-shelf sandalwood collection. indulge yourself into milky sandalwood ocean with it. this thing is flipping amazing.

[​IMG]

2. Nadeem

Nadeem Resident Artisan

Many thanks for your review. To be honest, we’ve been very quiet about our products in an industry where the cacophony of countless marketing voices is deafening.

A lot of people don’t realise that we make our own resins from scratch and have recently built our own distillery where we will be crafting our own oud oils as well to impart that “Al Hashimi” signature on them. We rely on the enthusiasm of our buyers to spread the word and this review hopefully gives some indication of the quality that can be offered at an affordable price.

3. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

I like the way you guys do it. I will have to try some of your products when I can.

4. Taesik Yun

Taesik Yun Oud Fanatic Staff Member

Huge thanks to the Al Hashimi. I really appreciate Al Hashimi team's hardworking and passion for sharing the spirit of love.

@AbasFrag, the person I've been taking with is the prime example of a passionate artist. He generously shared his knowledge and genuinely cared about me.

I bet my name that you won't regret buying from Al Hashimi.

Oudamberlove and AbasFrag like this.
  5. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Pleasure is all mine dear @Taesik Yun
    It is you and people like you that make this community what it is and should be!

Thanks again for this amazing review. So well written!

F4R1d0uX, Taesik Yun and Oudamberlove like this.

Promote Oud!