1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Smell From Trees In Philly

Discussion in 'General' started by Andrew Salkin, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time! Staff Member

There is an incredible smell outside right now in Philly. Park next to my apt. Last 2 days smells amazing outside. Anyone know - maybe from the trees? I've never smelled this before.

Attached Files:

2. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I’d love to get a whiff!
    Last night I could smell some oud oil in the air.
    I was in a parking lot, with no trees near by,
    so I don’t know the source of that phantom goodness.

Kabir Attars and TDK like this.
  3. Ersel

Ersel Stoudent

Do they have flowers such as these?

Attached Files:

4. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Tilia. Basswood. Plane tree. Linden.

5. mlb78

mlb78 Whats this Oud About?

Mmmmm. Linden. The smell of June!!

6. Mr.P

Poplar buds have a strong agarwood like smell and this is a good time of year to smell them. A grove of them can be smelled from far away. They are quite fragrant right now. Oudamberlove - were you near a river by any chance?

Oudamberlove likes this.
  7. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

No, but I’m in an industrial area a mile from the San Francisco Bay. There is a golf course nearby, but I don’t know what trees grow there.
    Ooooo, maybe one day I can smell a budding Poplar.

8. mlb78

mlb78 Whats this Oud About?

You can buy poplar bud oil. Sometimes it is called “balm of Gilead”

Oudamberlove likes this.
  9. Mr.P

Indeed - but I have been disappointed by the poplar oils I have smelled. The extraction amplifies some unpleasant notes I don’t smell in the actual plant itself, at least in my samples.

Oudamberlove likes this.
  10. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time! Staff Member

Wow. So it rained today and everything is amplified like crazy. I've never smelled this before but it smells like this green fuzzy oud!

It smells like when you fumigate and then go nose blind but then step outside into the humidity and you can smell the oud smoke on your hair! Stunning. I want to bottle this up and sell it (nah I'll keep it!)

11. NoLimit2Light

NoLimit2Light Whats this Oud About?

The family and I were walking in the park near our neighborhood and I was hit in the face with the scent of oud when we passed a group of trees just outside the walking path. It was very similar to burning oud on low temp. I was stuck in my tracks and couldn't wait to pass this group of trees each time we made the lap.

I used a plant identifying app and it showed to be American Sycamore. A quick google provided the following:
    "Odor profile: A variation of platanus trees growing in the US, forming the species Platanus occidentalis. A woody note that recalls the nutty, woody, earthy scent of platanus."

Now to buy MANY of these trees around my property!!! :Thumbsup:

Perhaps these are the same trees yall are sniffing in Philly. I'm in Virginia.

Ref- https://www.fragrantica.com/notes/Sycamore-487.html

Sproaty likes this.
  12. NoLimit2Light

The trees in the first pic are American Sycamore and they smell like agarwood on low temp!!!

13. Mr.P

I know the smell of sycamore but I never associated with agarwood.

I was walking down the street in downtown Portland one day and breeze hit me and mentally I was transported to my childhood in Brooklyn New York. The smell was not very obvious and I didn’t realize at first what it was that was giving me the feeling I didn’t know if it was the light or the temperature or the sounds, but gradually begin to tune into the aroma of the trees that I was standing under: a long line of sycamore trees. It was a particularly memorable experience because I’m fascinated by fragrance and and botany but I had not encountered these trees since I was a child in any kind of a large stand.

Are you sure you’re not smelling poplar trees? I agree that Sycamore has a distinct smell but the one tree in the United States that reminds me of aloeswood is poplar!

Tell you what though, one of these days I’ll drive back to that neighborhood and do some sniffing and see if I can detect what you are smelling!

Sproaty and EJayB like this.
  14. NoLimit2Light

I live on a wooded lot with poplar trees popping up like weeds. Never noticed their buds giving off a fragrance. I will check next time.

Please visit your Sycamores and let me know what you think. It's crazy!!!

15. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

I have the opposite experience :(

I've been walking ~5miles daily in an effort to be more active and I walk past a ton of wild florals - I'm really disliking them!!
    Even green smells like conifers

NoLimit2Light likes this.
  16. Mr.P

Maybe a different species of poplar? Some people call the resin extracted from it “balm of Gilead”

NoLimit2Light likes this.

Promote Oud!