Smelling Things When Moving From One Space To Another

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr.P, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

A phenomenon I have noticed that is interesting to me. Happened with rose absolute today. sometimes I will apply an oil or mukh I am interested in, spend some time enjoying the fragrance and feeling like I am picking up on the nuances, only to have my mind completely blown when I step out the front door and am hit by a wave of fresh air. Somehow the contrast and interaction of the fresh outdoor air with the perfume cloud activates something in the olfactory system I guess and the scent becomes “HD” - like a high definition version of what I was smelling previously. I can detect all these wonderful nuances and details that I missed completely when smelling in a single space.
    Again this happened with rose oil today - I applied some fresh Bulgarian rose absolute and thinking it was just your average absolute... but when I stepped outside I could smell this rose oil in such detail. It was like being surrounded by several different varieties of fully ripe, fragrant roses. Sadly this “hypernosmia” doesn’t last particularly long. In any case, for that moment It was as if I was smelling far and away the most fantastic rose oil I have ever smelled, but I fear it is a kind of olfactory illusion- fleeting like an after image. I no longer get those notes from the absolute. I aim to repeat the experience tomorrow.

2. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

I think after applying any oil, particularly Sandal, the moment one steps out of home, the scent suddenly blooms at its maximum. If one wears sandal on moustache before going for a morning walk, the oil unveils its treasures that remain hidden otherwise.

3. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

Mustache - check
    Sandalwood oil - check

Will conduct the “sandalwood mustache experiment” on my next walk, thank you Rai!

Mustakim Godil, Sproaty and Mario P. like this.
  4. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

yes I get this with spray fragrances too. I guess it's the effect of sileage and it's how people would smell you when meeting, whereas you're possibly "too close" to the smell to get that effect most of the time

Rai Munir likes this.
  5. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

I can't comment on rose :Cautious: but I have the exact same reaction with oud oils, particularly some of the higher quality ones.:Whistling:

Woodland Note and Rai Munir like this.
  6. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

For us to smell the compound molecule that rises from the surface it has to travel throigh the air in order to reach our sensors. In that rise the molecule does react with whatever it is that carrys it. The combined new structure is what our sensors capture and we smell.

The other reason why you would have had the unique experience is change in pressure and temperature, within the same material compound, molecules can rise more gradually and at higher frequency based on temperature and pressure. For example in the conditions of your home you could have clusters rise, e.g 5 , outside the cluster could separate and you could get molecules break off or vis versa where new clusters form on the surface where it is applied.

7. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

The fresh air brings out more of the tobacco notes in oud. (for those oils so inclined)

Mustakim Godil likes this.
  8. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

I’ll tell you, if the rose absolute smells to others as good as it smells to me when crossing the indoor-outdoor threshold, then I am both thrilled and irked. Thrilled I smell so fine to others, disappointed I can only experience this in these brief flashes myself.

Grega likes this.
  9. Bryan-I

Bryan-I True Ouddict

And if there is ambergris or musk macerated in that sandal

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Rai Munir likes this.
  10. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

:praying::D
    Ambergris in sandal is more exuberant than musk in sandal. I think aquatic animalic tone of ambergris wakes up in freshening cold of dawn.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Bryan-I likes this.
  11. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Moderator Staff Member

Yes, similar stuff seems to happen here, especially with oud oils. When cold air is blowing from the outside I’m getting mesmerized by their beauty. I'm not sure how and why. I can only wild guess that it might have something to do with temperature and air humidity. Perhaps the top notes is more pronounced when air is moving. Hmmm... I also like sniffing things from smooth metal surfaces, pure aluminum can or my 100% steel knife... this way things seem to produce more intense and clean scent, or at least that is my perception of it. I was wondering why, and I truly have no idea. Perhaps it’s related to those materials being smooth, pore-less, absorbing heat/cold at fast rates, scentless on their own. Or maybe it’s all some kind of illusion. :)

Joe King and Rai Munir like this.
  12. Grega

Grega True Ouddict

Have somebody else wear it! I am always amazed when a fragrance I am intimate with is used by another person as it smells very different to me.

Sproaty and Mr.P like this.

Promote Oud!