Sweeter Musk Varieties?

Discussion in 'Musk' started by 3ammar, Jan 14, 2019.

1. 3ammar

3ammar Whats this Oud About?

I once sniffed a musk attar (based in Mysore sandalwood) called "Tonkin Musk". I recall it was quite linear, starting off with a sweet, sambac-esc musk, and just getting more powdery into the dry-down. Where can I find something like this? Or in general, a sweet(er) musk?

2. Feder Unix

Feder Unix Whats this Oud About?

It's highly likely that you smelled some synthetic aroma chemical, not a real musk.

The pure musk into sandalwood oil has a remarkable animalic smell, there is some sweetness in it, but it's not pronounced and more likely as a background note.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Hamza H and Joe King like this.
  3. Hamza H

Hamza H Oud Fan

I second what the comment below has said. I've tried one that after blending with some Oudh produced a nice sweetness after the dry down. The sandalwood helped with that. The musk is anything but sweet.

4. Hamza H

Hamza H Oud Fan

5. Feder Unix

Having said that, I would recommend you to get your hands on some genuine musk tincture, the tincture has a very different smell from the sandalwood maceration and even though it has a pronounced animalic smell, it also has somehow a kind of "sweetness" which you might find appealing. Please keep in mind that real musk tincture is used in extremely expensive high end french style perfumes as a fixative and enhancer of the perfume. I am not aware of people wearing pure musk tincture as a perfume. You can do it, if you like, but it is extremely expensive.

Unfortunately the musk tincture is not easy to find, you might ask to some forum member if you are really curious.

I have some but I am not selling it yet, I am waiting until it will age and ripe properly.

From left to right:

Siberian musk grains tincture grade A
    Siberian musk tincture mix (grains and pods from different animals) grade B
    Siberian musk grains tincture grade TOP
    Siberian musk grade TOP in mysore sandalwood at 5%

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. FCM415

FCM415 Just Arrived

I have about 6 mL total of Mysore macerating for 8 months with a gram of NinjaRobb's Siberian.

I smelled the plastic swiper and it smelled sweet and even floral. Is this right?

I swiped on my arm and it is blissful and beautiful. One of the best smells I have ever experienced.... But there is a sweet floral softness to it. Any comments? Do you guys get sweetness from sandalwood maceration?

Hamza H and 3ammar like this.
  7. FCM415

FCM415 Just Arrived

^
    Ok so I compared it to my floral EO's and there is definitely similarities with tuberose and less so, ylangylang.

Am I goin crazy? Is it indolic? Im not saying it's all it is, but just a main facet I am getting along with the rest of the beauty, it's damn complex.

To reiterate: Mysore sandalwood oil from JKDelapp and Musk from this site's trusty member. Macerated for eight months. I am blown away.

8. 3ammar

This sounds similar to what I previously mentioned I put my nose on. I contacted the vendor and he confirmed it was genuine musk (grains macerated in Mysore sandalwood), and tbh the high price points towards that direction also. He told me that the sweet, almost floral aroma of that particular attar owes to the diet of the deer from which the musk grains were obtained. Maybe the grains you used happened to come from a deer that fancied eating flowers or something LOL.

9. 3ammar

This is the vendor, his name is Abdulnoor Brooks. Trust brother based in Toronto.
    https://www.facebook.com/redolentaromatics/

10. hasans1

hasans1 Oud Fan

Sproaty likes this.
  11. Feder Unix

I don't know how could be possible that sandalwood musk maceration could smell as tuberose or ylang ylang, I will let you know when mine will reach 8 months of age, though I noticed that is getting stronger and stronger month by month.

Rai Munir and RisingPhoenix like this.
  12. Feder Unix

My friend, I am afraid to tell you that what you bought is a fake.

I can tell you with 100% certainty by my personal experience with both the real thing, and the fake thing.

Back in 2011 I bought a tola of so called misk, the color was black, it stained the clothes with brown-reddish color. The smell is extremely intense and persistent, it's sweet floral that intoxicates at very small concentration. I don't know what is this, but that is not natural, it has nothing to do with real musk and I threw the bottle away after a while.

I would suggest you to not wear this as it might contain nitromusk which is known to be carcinogenic and water/earth pollutant extremely persistent and almost impossible to be degraded. See this link for more details.

On the other hand, I did some experiments with sandalwood and musk and regardless of how much musk grains you can put into the oil, it will never become black.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    RisingPhoenix likes this.
  13. Feder Unix

Do you have some pictures of your oil? Do you mind to share it with us please?

14. 3ammar

Ive only tested the oil. Havnt bought yet. It was a dark translucent oil with some tiny remnants of musk grains visible.

15. 3ammar

It may as well be the case that some of us interpret the the scent of musk as slightly sweet/floral or have no other way of describing it.

16. Azaad

Azaad Oud Fanatic

Without wanting to sound like I’m arguing. You have smelt a fake. No musk in the world smells like rose. You can’t interpret real musk as floral ever.

It’s like saying your strawberries or apples smell like prawns.

Tarik likes this.
  17. 3ammar

Some people detect a ureal top note in certain sandalwood oils, while others will instead detect citrus top notes in that very same oil. So again, I think this may be a matter of interpretation. BTW, when I say "sweet" I mean sweet in the context of musk; like a musk relatively sweeter to other musks, not something purely sweet. It's interesting, though, how some can speak so authoritatively and definitively on something they haven't smelt. You never know, you may smell what I'm talking about and conclude it is indeed musk.

18. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

I am puzzled by the references to floral musk, especially in the context of a sandalwood musk infusion. I've smelled a couple of those (so I am no expert) but I cannot imagine getting to "floral" from anything I have smelled in musk. I can see that jasmine oil has some aspects that remind me of musk, but they are the non-floral aspects of the jasmine scent (its funky indole / animal aspect). It's funny because the musk would not remind me of jasmine even though jasmine has notes that remind me of musk. Go figure...

I have smelled some "musk oils" of questionable authenticity that had a sickly sweet quality, that could maybe be related to roses that were way past prime and starting to decay a bit. It's a scent that is not really present in fresh, floral rose at all, and also not in the actual musk grains I have encountered. I don't have musk experts around to verify the musks that I have smelled, so take this with a grain of salt.

19. Sofmusc

Sofmusc Whats this Oud About?

Feder Unix, do you mean that the musk deer that sells "Sharif Laroche" are fake musk?
    I bought from him a long time ago saying "musk deer pheromon" at $ 400 3ml, and all I could smell was a weird smell that looked like coffee !! and I ended up throwing the bottle so it annoyed me :(

20. Azaad

Azaad Oud Fanatic

Musk maceration done properly without any florals added are super strong, pungent, animalic. If you are not acquainted with musk, the first time you smelt it you wouldn’t be saying many positive things about it.

All I can say is if your getting florals then you got a fake, of course if the blend details florals have been used in the maceration then it’s fine.

It’s far far cheaper to buy 1gm musk and 10gm oil and do it yourself. There is no science to it. Just clean the musk of hairs or skin if there is any, drop it in oil and forget about it. A year later split it up into 3ml bottles and add rose or jasmine in minuscule amounts and then forget about it for a few months. Keep testing quantities of florals vs musk and adjust along the way. This way you can have 3x3ml bottles for around $200, guaranteed and no doubts.

RisingPhoenix and Joe King like this.

Promote Oud!