Taif Rose

Discussion in 'The Natural Perfumer's Palette' started by MzM, Sep 17, 2018.

1. MzM

MzM Oud King

Hello All,

I have 6ml of Taif rose from dear Alshareef Oudh, and I nedn some help in how I can make it into a rose attar or rose oil for everyday use as a scent. So currently I think it's too strong/potent to wear as a stand alone oil. I remember I had a rose oil gifted to me from India(pic attached) IMG_20180726_181801.jpg that smelled amazing and it said Misl(similar to) Taifi rose on the description but I'm sure it wasn't because it was not very expensive but it smelled great and lasted long. So anyone have any ideas how I can use some of this Taif rose concentrate and make a rose perfume oil out of it. I am open to all suggestions, however I wanted a stand alone rose perfume oil suggestion as well.
    Thank you all.

Akhira likes this.
  2. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Taifi+ Sandalwood
    Powerful: Taifi + any aged Assam belt oud (AABO) (especially kalakassi variant)
    A bit less powerful: Taifi + AABO + sandalwood
    More nunacned (but you would get rose a little less): Taifi + AABO + sandalwood+ shamama+ frankicense
    More nuanced but with animalic sweetness: Taifi + AABO + sandalwood+ shamama+ frankicense + deer musk

If you want to extend the rose smell a bit further, you can add Turkish/Bulagrain/Persian rose absolute. However it may make the blend a bit sweeter (in case you don't like it).
    To open up and extend each note, you can add a brown or white ambergris (macerated in sandalwood at 3-5%). I personally add 5% or less of the total volume of the blend.

Mazhar, tyson, Fahad and 6 others like this.
  3. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Whatever the concoction will be, Ward Taifi won't be any more Taifi, but 'misl Taifi'. I mean, its intrinsic beauty would get changed. It doesn't mean it is to corrupt Taif flare. The feel you get now won't be there in any of blends. If blended in Oud, there will be Oud Rose or Rose Oud. If Musk, there will be Musk Rose or Rose Musk.

Putting aside my love for Musk, Rose and Musk complement each other. And the best thing of it is both remain intact to certain extent. I macerated Musk and Rose, no other thing. It took pretty long time to have some Musk feel in it. But Musk smothered sharp edges of Rose. If Sandal is woody, this woodiness creeps into Rose as well. Not worth-appreciating. Musk Santal maceration, and then after pretty enough time blending some Ward Taifi is stunning.

Last, when you see JK, you can ask him how he blended Itr Shaik al Khalifa. Here Taifi is 70 % Taifi. In Sultan Leather Attar it is 40 % Taifi. The rest you can have your own experiments. Step ahead. The best track is that is hewed out on your own.

Godspeed, dearest MzM.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Grega, tyson, Akhira and 2 others like this.
  4. MzM

MzM Oud King

This is some great advice. Thank you both @Ashfaque and @Rai Munir. I might try two batches, one with sandalwood and one with another rose(Ashfaque suggested Bulgarian to add some sweetness). Once I meet with JK, maybe even some musk. : )

Akhira likes this.
  5. Fahad

Fahad Oud Fan

MzM.. bitoufiq in sha Allah...I like ward taifi straight up..I would personally spare some of the pure rose taifi as well..just to savor it now and then :)

Monsieur Munir, agreed the woodiness creeps in the sandal in which case can keep the sandal ratio low.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  6. hassam mac

hassam mac Oud Fan

Oh uncle munir in sla there is 40% taifi rose used?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

Rai Munir likes this.
  7. MzM

MzM Oud King

That's a good suggestion as well Fahad. I will definitely leave some to be savoured by itself.

8. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

dear MZM i am not sure what dear Rai Munir is referring to but if you add 40% per volume ward taifi in your mixture, i.e in 1ml you add 0.4ml taifi then the people in your town will start calling you rosey instead of MZM. The Taifi is very powerful in projection and diffusion.

The best rose attart is with ward taifi + a dusty woody sandal mysore (avoid the butter/honey mysore) or a Hawaiian, or a blend of sandals to give that dusty element, civet or aged musk in sandalwood as a carrier.

However to put it in perspective, in 12ml you need only 11drops from a standard 1ml pipette to bring a clear rose presence and any more than that, rose will start to dominate.

If you want specific quantities etc, happy to assist in private.

Grega, Bryan-I, Rai Munir and 10 others like this.
  9. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Now I know to use a woody sandal for my first Musk Rose blend.

Thank you for the tip ASO:Thumbsup:

Bryan-I and MzM like this.
  10. MzM

MzM Oud King

Knowledge from the Master. I am honored dear brother.

Sproaty and riviera274 like this.
  11. Tarik

Tarik Junior Member

Broomhilde and MzM like this.
  12. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Dear Hassam, well, I am not sure about the ratio, but I am sure about the beauty of Rose that is 100 %.

13. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Jaza'akumullah, respected Al Shareef Oudh, for this tip.

If someone wants to use some other Rose like White Rose otto, Bulgarian or Ruh Gulab, what about the ratio then, Sir?

Grega and MzM like this.
  14. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

@MzM barikaAllah feek dear!

@Rai Munir
    Bulgarian White Rose Aba otto intensity should be treated similar to ward Taifi 10-12 drops in 12ml. It is one of the most beautiful roses, very hard to get good quality in decent volumes.

Bulgarian Damask Rose otto is less citrus and a little more fatty/powdery, 11-13, but with caution depending on your sandalwood. If sandalwood is buttery, than less otherwise can become butter/fatty.

above is indications, once you reach the lower limit then drops should only be added based on fine tune and adjustment. Also please keep in mind the smell from instant to a few days will be different, the space between final drops should be a few days.

Grega, Ashfaque, Rai Munir and 3 others like this.
  15. Mario P.

Mario P. Whats this Oud About?

Great tips here ,but give an newbie advice please
    Whats difference between rose taifi and ward taifi ?
    Thanks regards

16. powdernose

powdernose Admin & Oud Sprite Staff Member

None.
    Ward = Rose

17. Broomhilde

Broomhilde Whats this Oud About?

It probably seems like a very banal suggestion, however to me, natural scent absolutes and essences are multi-faceted jewels unto themselves. Taif rose is certainly a complex labyrinth of aromatic molecules. Often we suffer from the desire to over-complicate, to seek more and add more and refine what is already right.

An alternative way to approach this is to - Be the animalic, be the censer, be the carrier...

My recommended recipe -

Dilute 2 mls of your Taif in 20mls of fractionated coconut oil.

Anoint your chest with a smear of pure Mysore sandalwood.

Apply a small amount of saffron to the tops of your feet.

Next, wash your face and arms, and when dry, apply a generous amount of your diluted Taif to the palm of one hand and rub both your palms together to distribute the rose oil. Massage the rose oil dilution up your forearms and around your neck and shoulders.

The 'geographical' separation of these perfume elements is now blended by your body, by your motion and by the breeze. It is a sublime way to become the heart of a perfume, to respect each essence's singularity for its own mastery and complexity. Also the ingredients become teachers in the way they interact through you and project from you.

I love to do this. It provides an incredible freedom for each of the aromatic components in your selection to 'throw' as they choose, to be forceful or quiet, and to shine in their own fragrant arc of splendor. It keeps the mind enthralled with the beautiful pageantry of individual perfume elements as they journey with you. The wonder of natural perfume... it lives and breathes.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 3:26 AM
    Joe King, neko, Oudamberlove and 7 others like this.
  18. powdernose

powdernose Admin & Oud Sprite Staff Member

You're not a cannibal, are you? :Cautious:
    :D

Indeed, sometimes it's hard to get out of that loop.

Oudamberlove, Grega and Broomhilde like this.
  19. Broomhilde

Broomhilde Whats this Oud About?

I just reckon a little Wabi sabi is a great Zen lens for cherishing the ‘what it is’ factor... innit?

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 8:01 AM
  20. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

Wabi Sabi zen lens - is this made by Carl Zeiss?

Broomhilde likes this.

Promote Oud!