Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
hi all

I searched before posting but wasn't able to locate a thread where we can defer to as cheat sheet and read the range of notes as well as classsic notes people pick up on different single origin agarwood.

It would be also awesome to know which species exist where and the telltale aromas of each species but also in the context of where it grows.

E.g I have three different Malaysia heartwood chuncks from kyarazen but need some help navigate and get to know them better. On the is north malaysia other central and last is tigerwood. I also hear west and south Malaysia in conversations.

Kedah vs kelantan. Is all quite complicated which is fine but let's untangle the webs and get a bit more consensus going.

Cheers

hasans1412

Resident Artisan
It would be also awesome to know which species exist where
If you really interested in the science aspect consider the book below. Click on the title for a short sample extract, you will find in page 7-9 answers relating to the different species of Agarwood and it's distribution.

Agarwood: Science Behind the Fragrance
(Editor: Rozi Mohamed)

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
If you really interested in the science aspect consider the book below. Click on the title for a short sample extract, you will find in page 7-9 answers relating to the different species of Agarwood and it's distribution.

Agarwood: Science Behind the Fragrance
(Editor: Rozi Mohamed)
Ty for this dear @hasans1412.

Do you care to share your own experience? Have you formed some pretty solid picture of wood scents from day deferent regions and species?

hasans1412

Resident Artisan
Ty for this dear @hasans1412.

Do you care to share your own experience? Have you formed some pretty solid picture of wood scents from day deferent regions and species?

It's one of those quite tricky to answer as I always go with the phrase of perfumes are subjective. There can be some sort of guidelines for maybe someone new to Oud to help them out, like the typical of Thai oils being sweet, Hindi being barn...etc. I assume you have tried many oils and you would have noticed there can be for example dark Malaysian oils at one hand and at the same time a more sort of bright Malaysian oil (in aroma sense, not colour), so you can't really place over a blanket rule over them, in my personal opinion. But yes, we can perhaps characterise them in genres with an asterisk for the few outliers in the normal trend.

Last edited:

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
It's one of those quite tricky to answer as I always go with the phrase of perfumes are subjective. There can be some sort of guidelines for maybe someone new to Oud to help them out, like the typical of Thai oils being sweet, Hindi being barn...etc. I assume you have tried many oils and you would have noticed there can be for example dark Malaysian oils at one hand and at the same time a more sort of bright Malaysian oil (in aroma sense, not colour), so you can't really place over a blanket rule over them, in my personal opinion. But yes, we can perhaps characterize them in genres with an asterisk for the few outliers in the normal trend.

precisely. i know it will be just that, generalization. i have a pretty good handle on oils. have seen the extremes within hindi, papau filaria/gyrinops, walla patta, etc.
i am trying to get similar handle on the scent of the wood chips of different geographical areas but also different species. your input and that of others in the community will not only help me but many younger and newer members. ty in advance for taking the time.

to get the ball rolling and if i may copy/paste a private share with me via @Faizal_p (kindly suggest edits or feel free to add on, brother Faizal):

-------------
Regarding species, there's no hard and fast rule, but to answer your question:

India- Agollocha and Malacensis mainly. very rarely khasiana and sometimes you may find sinensis in the very north of assam
Bangladesh - Same as india
China- Yunan is mainly sinensis and malaccensis but there is a rare sub-species called yunanensis, similar in tone to sinensis but with slight variances
Burma- Malacensis and Sinensis
Laos- Mainly Malacensis and Crassna but some sinensis in the north
Vietnam- Crassna and baneonsis- This one exhibits an aroma of sinensis wood and is very difficult to differentiate and so many consider it to be Sinensis
Cambodia - Mainly crassna however there is also baillonii but again difficult to differentiate and most hunters will not know the difference
Thailand- Crassna, Malacensis and Sub Integra
Malaysia- Malacensis, beccariana, crassna, Hirta (Chandan) and very rarely Rostrata
Indonesia - Malacensis, Beccariana, Hirta, Gyrinops (Various)
Papua - Filaria, Gyrinops (various - Ledermanii, Verstegi, mollucana)
Sri Lanka - Gyrinops Walla

This is basically what you find, so you may find hindi oils smelling similar to Malay for instance as both were malaccensis but soil, water, location etc has made enough of an impact to drastically change aroma.

Malacensis - generally sweet, fruity (cherries, berries), deep green notes in dry down, can be intrinsically barny sometimes
Crassna- Very sweet, chocolate, berries, sweet green vibe, slightly bitter dry down.
Sinensis- Citrus lemon/ orange, bitter dry down, occasionally sweet, Depending on soaking can produce a musky civet note, nice animalic.
Beccariana- Green version of crassna, very beautiful almost feminine aroma
Hirta- Spicy, cinnamon, deep woody dry down. Very "Oudy"
Gyrinops- Honey green, fresh, mango skin, can be very light and bright
Filaria- Sweet smoke, similarities to Gyrinops, deep jungle greeness

-------------
my own brief two cents:
malay tigerwood: seems to have most camphor, mint and that certain cooling sensation in heating the chips than any other
brunei: but not sure what species i have from it. gentle citrus, light green, airy, slightly sweet, very dignified and elegant
walla patta: fruity, blue/green, banana and just simply very pretty and very unique
papua guniea gyrinops: dark green, forest floor, earth, devoid of fruit, floral and pretty notes
sumatra: sour, earthy, dark green, nothing sweet, floral, fruity about it.

i dont know yet how to describe kedah, kalimantan, kelantan, burma, laos, and north vs central vs west vs south malay.

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
Bump. Come on folks. Share a little bit of your wisdom and experiences with the rest of us pls.

I have a decent handling oils now but aside from very few unique wood origins I need some hand holding and what to look for to get better and be able to tell my wood origins blind with better 80+% accuracy.

Ammar

True Ouddict
No Agallocha in Burma? I thought Burma was mainly Agallocha with some Sinensis. @Rasoul Salehi and anyone else?
A. Agallocha and A. Malaccensis, no Sinensis there according to the Ministry of Environmental Conservation and Forestry of Myanmar (see attached)

Attachments

• 20180805_111001.jpg
    20180805_111001.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 20180805_112352.jpg
    20180805_112352.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 250

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
The conversation was between @Rasoul Salehi and I which he posted. I missed out agollacha as I had a debate with @alshareef wether this species is a genuine sub species or actually malacensis in a different climate. Having read some studies later I might be convinced by jawad but I think the jury is still out on this matter.

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
The conversation was between @Rasoul Salehi and I which he posted. I missed out agollacha as I had a debate with @alshareef wether this species is a genuine sub species or actually malacensis in a different climate. Having read some studies later I might be convinced by jawad but I think the jury is still out on this matter.

dear brother @Faizal_p , i hope it was ok to share this. i certainly didnt mean to step on any toes. i tagged you in the original post hoping if it is not ok, you would tell me and i would modify/remove...