Osny

Oud Beginner
I could try to share my impressions, but I’m having a hard time thinking of how I could describe these because they are complex. Also, these are all based on spraying onto a blotter - haven’t sprayed any on my skin or clothes.

Oud balsam is a nice sweet tobacco vanilla scent that dries down to a vanilla with a hint of spice

The Russian oud is perplexing to me - I get a bitter chocolate and musk like top note. The chocolate / musk accord isn’t one i have smelled before. Don’t really understand this based on the first spray on a blotter.

Ottoman Empire is a wild one - pretty multifaceted with some complex tope notes and a shifting scent. Need another whiff as I don’t recall the connections I made when smelling. Had a kind of peach Osmanthus dry down that was nice.

Siberian musk’s top note is a little reminiscent of Aramis on one level, and has some notes that remind me of an Ajmal AAA musk gazelle as well. A perfumey musk for sure as opposed to a simple musk scent. On the blotter I mainly smelled the complex aramis-ish blend with a classic musk attar scent but not a lot of raw musk scent (as I have come to know it). I got a tiny dab on my nose however and that was a whole different story - very much raw musk dominant for a long period of time. Side by side on blotters with Ajmal aaa musk, the two scents go through some similar changes but the Siberian is muskier at all stages of scent development. I could smell this spray across the room when there was just a light spritz on the end of the blotter.

I also smelled the Chinese oud perfume. This is another one that was very complex, and I will need to smell again smelled like a fair number of ingredients were blended and to my nose oud wasn’t dominant in the scent but melded in with other herbs/ spices etc.
That’s great. Thanks! Please let us know when you apply some to skin.

Mr.P

oud<3er
That’s great. Thanks! Please let us know when you apply some to skin.
I have said pretty much all I have to say about those fragrances. I’m not much of a heavy perfume guy and these types of fragrance don’t appeal to me as personal scents. The one that I feel comfortable wearing is the ” history of Indonesian Oud”

Osny

Oud Beginner
I have said pretty much all I have to say about those fragrances. I’m not much of a heavy perfume guy and these types of fragrance don’t appeal to me as personal scents. The one that I feel comfortable wearing is the ” history of Indonesian Oud”
History of Indonesian Oud is indeed quite a special scent. Hard to believe there’s only one material in that.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Yeah, it really smells like there’s some clove oil in there in top of an Indonesian wood extract scent. It’s the first time I’ve smelled anything like that in an oud.

The second time I smelled a clovelike oud is a sample of an oud oil that Adam sent a drop of and it hits like strong clove and a bit of cinnamon and somehow as that scent expands it transitions to a classic oud scent. The heart and dry down of this oil is just amazing. I wonder if this oil was used in formulating “the history of Indonesian oud”?

I wonder if eugenol is a constituent of some woods?

Dr B1414

True Ouddict
Ensar Oud Hainan 2005. This oil needs no introduction, of course. I've been looking to get this ever since I got into oud oils. Personally, I always went for higher-tier oils and never bothered with lower-tier stuff or organic. This is blind, but given the praise it got in the community from people whose taste I appreciate, I'm sure it's going to be worthwhile.

[Ouddict.com] The Anticipation Thread - Share Your 'inbound's!

Mr.P

oud<3er
History of Indonesian Oud is indeed quite a special scent. Hard to believe there’s only one material in that.
One thing I noticed, is that every perfume sample I received had a very nice balanced dry-down on blotter strips. It is clear that the bases of these perfumes are all very well thought out and the result of careful study and adjustment.

I should also add that they have some of the performance of a modern perfume, which is the main reason why I will enjoy these on blotters and not skin. I think for a person who collects perfumes and is used to the sillage and diffusiveness of modern perfume this aspect is likely to be quite appealing, and also represents, once again, carefully planned and thought out combinations.

Osny

Oud Beginner
One thing I noticed, is that every perfume sample I received had a very nice balanced dry-down on blotter strips. It is clear that the bases of these perfumes are all very well thought out and the result of careful study and adjustment.

I should also add that they have some of the performance of a modern perfume, which is the main reason why I will enjoy these on blotters and not skin. I think for a person who collects perfumes and is used to the sillage and diffusiveness of modern perfume this aspect is likely to be quite appealing, and also represents, once again, carefully planned and thought out combinations.
Thanks, Mr.P. That’s great to know. It’s an important accomplishment in my opinion. Indeed, I think the openings in artisanal perfumery tend to be better than the drydowns. I think this also shows Adam’s improvement as a perfumer. Now I only hope he uses that beautiful Ta’if rose from Malik al Taif over some carefully blended base!

language scent

True Woodict
Just arrived… :)

Shoyeido sandalwood squares, King’s Aroma, some fresh ash and a sampler of their “overtones” line and a ball of kneaded incense.

Also - a little over 4ml of organic certified Alteya Bulgarian rose otto.

I took a whiff, but haven’t applied any yet. It smells like a nice juicy batch. I’m excited to try it out.

As for inbound items, the only other thing coming is a nice compact air gun I’ve been eyeballing for a few years. I love target shooting in my yard - It is very calming, a kind of meditation and it doesn’t have all the annoying elements of fire arms, and the power is low enough that you can shoot in your yard without annoying or endangering your neighbors.

View attachment 29152
View attachment 29153
You getting any purple candy grape notes in that shoyeido sandal?

Mr.P

oud<3er
Haven’t heated any other than an initial check!

Stupid question: are you ordering Yamada Matsu pieces like this online? I’ve never checked into their web presence…

language scent

True Woodict
Haven’t heated any other than an initial check!

Stupid question: are you ordering Yamada Matsu pieces like this online? I’ve never checked into their web presence…
Sadly they don’t have any malas in their website it’s all old purchases I do have some secret online website tricks tho lol

Mr.P

oud<3er
I have a small order coming from Mesoud. A gram of tarakan, a gram of pursat, 4 grams of rose absolute, and a bottle of atlas cedar co2.

Looking forward to this obviously!

I also have a sample of “bio santalol” produced by fermentation. Not as a replacement for sandalwood of course.

Also some pure vanillin extracted from rice.

EJayB

True Ouddict
Just made my first Dr incense order .
I love quality craft products, made by the artist who sells it. I am trying hard to support artists.
Artist work hard to produce high quality products that they have pride and passion for. So much commercial grade incense out there being mass produced and resold 10 times from the commercial factory to the end customer . That’s what turned me off to incense in the beginning when trying “artisan incense “ it wasn’t artisan it was commercial.
Really looking forward to the first DR incense order.

Oudstudent

Oud Fanatic
My agarwood is now detained in the customs although it is below 20 grams and I have ordered agarwood 4 times before. What the hell do they want?

It's kynam inside
Apart from that, the letter I got from customs explained
that I should do the do KT.2, KT 9, SP-5 or KT-13
In PP 14 of 2002 concerning Plant Quarantine. However,
The regulations no longer apply and have been replaced by PP Number 29 of 2023
so that regulation PP 14 of 2002 is revoked. These rules can
checked in the website https://peraturan.bpk.go.id/Details/52401 . Therefore, my goods should not be subject to PP 14 of 2002
and PP Number 29 of 2023 because they do not fall into that category
because my goods is WOOD. Please for the customs officials to be
more carefully check the latest rules.

I went to the customs office and they were a bit afraid when i wanted to pay to them. It seems their boss will make the decision how much i should pay to them. I think they will release it