Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
I've heard many times that the rising prices in the Oud market is a consequence of the Chinese market. To my understanding the Chinese only pride on prized woods such as Kinam/Kyara. Can the increase in demand and prices for these woods have a knock on affect on woods of lower grades, which the Chinese simply couldn't care less about? To what extent do we think or know how the Chinese market affects the niche Oud oil market? The market for lower grade woods? Are these over exaggerated claims or is there solid reasoning behind it? Could suppliers simply think the highest grade woods are getting more costly so the lower end woods should simply follow? Thoughts on this would be good......

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
I've heard many times that the rising prices in the Oud market is a consequence of the Chinese market. To my understanding the Chinese only pride on prized woods such as Kinam/Kyara. Can the increase in demand and prices for these woods have a knock on affect on woods of lower grades, which the Chinese simply couldn't care less about? To what extent do we think or know how the Chinese market affects the niche Oud oil market? The market for lower grade woods? Are these over exaggerated claims or is there solid reasoning behind it? Could suppliers simply think the highest grade woods are getting more costly so the lower end woods should simply follow? Thoughts on this would be good......

Very interresting topic brother.
I have small access to that wood grades and from my little and humble knowledge, this market dont even know our existence, there are specials hubs for Chinese market, Taipei, Singapour, Seoul, few people in Indonesia, Ho Chi Minh City, Beijing...

I have a small network in Johor Baru And Sarawak (our market) all I can say is that truth is away ...

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Very interresting topic brother.
I have small access to that wood grades and from my little and humble knowledge, this market dont even know our existence, there are specials hubs for Chinese market, Taipei, Singapour, Seoul, few people in Indonesia, Ho Chi Minh City, Beijing...

I have a small network in Johor Baru And Sarawak (our market) all I can say is that truth is away ...

Agreed. There is a LOT of misinformation and half-truths being propagated for commercial benefit by people.

Good morning, the prices gone up with agarwood more than oils most of asian care about wood they dont use oud oils! that much like us! and the prices going up not just because chinese only even japanese taiwanese hongkong singapore middle east arab , but the very high quality wood now most go to singapore , japan , taiwan , hongkong they have strong market and many ppl willing to pay is about faith they have different way on wood and they call it luckywood and they believe this wood protect you from evils and give you successful in life , even they used in temples isn't about greed or selfish they need it like any human need the food and water! is soul food ...

Japanese grade wood

FB_IMG_1488870128814.jpg

Last edited:

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Good morning, the prices gone up with agarwood more than oils most of asian care about wood they dont use oud oils! that much like us! and the prices going up not just because chinese only even japanese taiwanese hongkong singapore middle east arab , but the very high quality wood now most go to singapore , japan , taiwan , hongkong they have strong market and many ppl willing to pay is about faith they have different way on wood and they call it luckywood and they believe this wood protect you from evils and give you successful in life , even they used in temples isn't about greed or selfish they need it like any human need the food and water! is soul food ...

Japanese grade wood

View attachment 466
Allahuma barik very nice piece !

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Most important is that people have not to worry about oud but I think we need to support organic farmed oils to preserve eco systems and for more reasons I wont tell ...

Exactly. I think sometimes the information coming out is quite nuanced and a lot of people simply won't understand. Without going out and speaking to distillers and people in the industry, it's not clear. It's not a black and white issue at all. But in short, Oud will be around for a while, but there is both downgrading of quality and supply occurring. The pace of that is just one of the questions that is not clear. There are other questions related to quality etc too. It's not an issue that will resolved easily.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Exactly. I think sometimes the information coming out is quite nuanced and a lot of people simply won't understand. Without going out and speaking to distillers and people in the industry, it's not clear. It's not a black and white issue at all. But in short, Oud will be around for a while, but there is both downgrading of quality and supply occurring. The pace of that is just one of the questions that is not clear. There are other questions related to quality etc too. It's not an issue that will resolved easily.

You are right, I know some people in India who work to convince sellers to apply unique clear quotation on wood and help farmers to make organic oil ...

m.arif

So far talking to local dealers, yes wood is still available as you said Farid. It's just harder to find high quality wood as they used to. Some of them say the price offered by some international vendors to be too high.. and yet you see less of the same quality wood in the market..or even any at all..

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
So far talking to local dealers, yes wood is still available as you said Farid. It's just harder to find high quality wood as they used to. Some of them say the price offered by some international vendors to be too high.. and yet you see less of the same quality wood in the market..or even any at all..

Sure ! I can only agree with you M. ARIF in Malaysia that happened you can still find high quality wood but in lower quantity as far as I know and I dont know everything.

And yes you are spot on some international sellers apply high prices, locals have internet now, they see the prices and say like : ohhh did'nt know it ressels at that price, then apply higher prices and in my opinion they are right to do so Malaysian wood should help firstly Malaysian people ...

I dont know how Chineese are in wood market.

I'm originaly from Algeria and I know that Chinese took all big markets because they are respectful and pay this is all I can say ...

firdaous

Oud Kinamic
And yes you are spot on some international sellers apply high prices, locals have internet now, they see the prices and say like : ohhh did'nt know it ressels at that price, then apply higher prices

@F4R1d0uX we have an expression here in France and I am sure you know it that says :"c'est le serpent qui se mord la queue":D