The Future Of Agarwood/oud

Discussion in 'General' started by humbll, Sep 9, 2019.

1. humbll

humbll Hopelessly Addicted to Oud

I've been watching documentaries and various videos about agarwood and oud throughout the years, and I wonder why the people who hunt for agarwood trees in the various countries where it is native don't carry with them seeds, or better yet seedlings with them into the forest to plant here and there to keep the wild game going. With the importance, culturally speaking, of oud to the middle easterners and chinese, etc., I wonder why some of the billionaires don't spend a few millions each to finance such an operation. With my love of both wood and oils, if I were a billionaire I would certainly finance something like this. I would hire people to go scatter the seeds and plant small seedlings throughout the forests of vietnam, cambodia, etc. If such a thing were done every year or even every 5 years, it would insure that wild grown agarwood would be able to be found for present and future generations...

Mustakim Godil and Woodland Note like this.
  2. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

Any millionaires here feel like starting an international NGO?

3. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Moderator Staff Member

Dear humbll that is very thoughtful thinking. Sadly, not many people are like us - caring. Some just take and rarely give back. :( It saddens me to see old trees go, and no new being planted. Here where I live - in the heart of Europe I witness it frequently. People cut very old trees for the financial gains, it’s never-ending circle of human greed.
    And maybe the reason why some different-minded people do not plant new ones is because they fear someone else will come and ruin it soon after (sisyphean task). That is why I don’t do it, otherwise I would plant trees everywhere I go. But here wherever I go I see trees being cut, small, big, all of them. Even in national nature preservation parks, greed is reaching everywhere.

I planted a few trees this year though (yews and russian olives) with the hope that one day maybe I will have some own land and I will be able to transplant them there and keep safe. At least for some time. Nothing is forever.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Joe King, humbll and zakinkazi like this.
  4. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

There is no shortage of Aquilaria trees! There is a shortage of old Aquilaria trees that have been naturally infected in the wild and produce oud (agarwood).

Rai Munir, Woodland Note and Habz786 like this.
  5. humbll

humbll Hopelessly Addicted to Oud

I don't know how true this is, one video I was watching had the host following a native into the forest, and it was hours before they encountered a tree that the native was harvesting over a period of years, and he stated to the host that the next nearest tree was many hours walk from that tree. They had encountered no other trees on the way to it, infected or otherwise... Other vids I watched they were saying how the trees were endangered in the country, thus the need for the CITES treaty...

Woodland Note and Mustakim Godil like this.
  6. Woodland Note

I think it was Scent From Heaven :Thumbsup: One of the first videos about agarwood I watched, before I have tried it. (And oh dear I have not been disapointed.)

->45:50

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    humbll likes this.
  7. Edward jay Bullock

Edward jay Bullock True Ouddict

They are coming up with new ways to infect the trees and working towards organic production , some people don’t like any inoculated trees, me I’m willing to work with the university Students to study. They are coming up with new probiotics to start infection without noxious chemicals. This in no way compares to wild trees but they are making leaps and bounds towards sustainable Oud and that is something worth pursuing .
    I have invested money on a 15 year project to produce Organic Oud, the trees are tissue culture clones planted in Malaysia and they have just reached 1 year in age, wish me luck.

8. Edward jay Bullock

Edward jay Bullock True Ouddict

I don’t think you have to be rich, just willing to wait a long time .

Woodland Note and Mr.P like this.
  9. Woodland Note

As the Chinese saying goes: “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”

Edward jay Bullock and humbll like this.
  10. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

Wishing you and the trees success & the best! :thumbsup:

humbll likes this.

Promote Oud!