The Indian Attar Tradition

Discussion in 'The Art of Traditional Perfumery' started by Elles, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Elles

Elles Junior Member

What I really enjoy in the summer, when it´s hot here, is "Heena" attar (not to be confused with henna, the paste that is used for making mehndi tattoos and coloring hair). Heena is sdaid to be distilled as attar from the Gulhina flower, or else, from various lichens and florals. Heena attar also goes under the name "Shamama attar". The one I have is a really mysterious, wet, cool scent, reminding me of a good vetiver.

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  2. Dorje

Dorje Junior Member

Shamama attars contain many ingredients... various spices, herbs, florals, henna, camphor, musk, etc. in a sandalwood base. Sultan Pasha has a very nice Shamama attar. The real thing is extremely expensive.

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/newsletters/hina

Mandeel, I've never tried ASAQ's Al Molook...

3. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek

Dorje thanks for this special website I really enjoy it ! Is nice to get some.absolute from there and mix it by yourself ... ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

4. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

I remember there was some discussion earlier on regarding traditional attaars, how we miss those old artists

enjoy

5. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek

Al Shareef Oudh amazing video thanks for sharing I really enjoy it ðŸ˜

6. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

nice video very classical! sultan pasha al hareem is a lovely rose oud blend deffo one i like wearing on Jummahs!

7. Abdullah

Abdullah Junior Member

very nice video al shareef. jzkk

8. Habz786

Anyone smelt john steele attars? whats your thoughts? i think they are some of the best i have smelt very traditional scents and amazing longivety!

9. Shabby

Shabby Junior Member

Hi Habz thanks for informing me about this. Do you know where I can find his attars online?

10. Habz786

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/shop/attars

11. Shabby

Shabby Junior Member

Thanks a lot!

12. Habz786

I love the smell of rain when it hits dry ground :)

13. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

totally this, but not here in L.A. it smells nasty, i like it when i am in the Seattle rainforest area.
    also this:

Attached Files:

Youssef and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  14. Shabby

Shabby Junior Member

I adore the smell of rain when it hits the ground. I have been trying for a while to find anything which comes close in the world of perfumes. So far only certain ouds can compare but nothing really hits the spot as I would like.

JohnH likes this.
  15. JohnH

JohnH Oud Fan

Me too! Not sure a perfume would be necessary here in UK as it rains plenty but I would certainly buy some if it were available.

Shabby likes this.
  16. Faizal_p

Faizal_p Resident Artisan

There's an oil made in India called mitti attar, this captures the smell of rain on the dry Indian dust creating mud. I'm pretty certain they actually use mud in the process too...
    Maybe some of our Indian guys can chime in

17. Kc3dl

Kc3dl Junior Member

One of my favorite scents! The best approximation is mitti attar:)

18. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

from BN:
    Continuing with my reviews of indian attars, here's a new one: my review of the Mitti attar. According to my Indian friend, this perfume is a staple of India. It smells of earth. I don't have Terre D'Hermes, so I can't make a comparison, but I'll do my best to describe it.

First, I will paste here a basic description that I found on the internet. It is very precise about how the perfume is made and smells:
    "....The fragrance of the earth, derived from distilling cakes of mud into sandalwood. This rich, earthy, soothing, and exotic aroma was created by the ancient Indian perfumers to capture the smell of the first monsoon rain on the soil."

It really does smell like rain on earth. I must add that there is an oily base in it, I mean, it smells of oils, pure oils. It is the sandalwood, however it is different from the other sandalwood oil that I have. It is more oily than creamy (I hope this makes sense). Also, there is a slightly sharp top note that is a perfect contrast to the earthy smell that comes in the middle and end. I couldn't identify exactly what this top note is, but I would guess a sharp herb.

This perfume is truly beautiful, audacious in its simplicity and faithfulness to nature. It has moderate sillage but good longevity. It is an elegant and discreet perfume, quite masculine in my opinion. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Mandeel AlMandeel and Shabby like this.
  19. Habz786

I guess we all share a similar liking to the smell of the rain hitting the ground, yes mitti attur is a similar smell and lovely! I also love the smell of freshly cut grass and the smell of the masala base of a curry

20. littlecrowgirl

littlecrowgirl Member

The scent of rain on earth... petrichor...

Here's what I wrote to Taha, three years ago, when I first smelled Oud Supreme...

I inhaled a little of the Malaysian oud and caught a clear whiff of
    rain on dry ground. That scent is apparently called “petrichor”; I
    didn’t even know it had a name until I looked it up. And that
    “rawness”, yes, like grass crushed and rubbed together between my
    palms.

riviera274, F4R1d0uX and GLTASN like this.

Promote Oud!