Elles

What I really enjoy in the summer, when it´s hot here, is "Heena" attar (not to be confused with henna, the paste that is used for making mehndi tattoos and coloring hair). Heena is sdaid to be distilled as attar from the Gulhina flower, or else, from various lichens and florals. Heena attar also goes under the name "Shamama attar". The one I have is a really mysterious, wet, cool scent, reminding me of a good vetiver.

Dorje thanks for this special website I really enjoy it ! Is nice to get some.absolute from there and mix it by yourself ... ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Shabby

Habz786 said:
Anyone smelt john steele attars? whats your thoughts? i think they are some of the best i have smelt very traditional scents and amazing longivety!
Hi Habz thanks for informing me about this. Do you know where I can find his attars online?

Shabby

Habz786 said:
Anyone smelt john steele attars? whats your thoughts? i think they are some of the best i have smelt very traditional scents and amazing longivety!
Thanks a lot!

peter4ptv

I love the smell of rain when it hits dry ground :)
totally this, but not here in L.A. it smells nasty, i like it when i am in the Seattle rainforest area.
also this:

Attachments

• 06e733af39200c2c1931e3ba81993287.jpg
    06e733af39200c2c1931e3ba81993287.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 70922311164.jpg
    70922311164.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 258
  • clips-tease.jpg
    clips-tease.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 259

Shabby

I adore the smell of rain when it hits the ground. I have been trying for a while to find anything which comes close in the world of perfumes. So far only certain ouds can compare but nothing really hits the spot as I would like.

JohnH

True Ouddict
I adore the smell of rain when it hits the ground. I have been trying for a while to find anything which comes close in the world of perfumes. So far only certain ouds can compare but nothing really hits the spot as I would like.

Me too! Not sure a perfume would be necessary here in UK as it rains plenty but I would certainly buy some if it were available.

peter4ptv

There's an oil made in India called mitti attar, this captures the smell of rain on the dry Indian dust creating mud. I'm pretty certain they actually use mud in the process too...
Maybe some of our Indian guys can chime in

from BN:
Continuing with my reviews of indian attars, here's a new one: my review of the Mitti attar. According to my Indian friend, this perfume is a staple of India. It smells of earth. I don't have Terre D'Hermes, so I can't make a comparison, but I'll do my best to describe it.

First, I will paste here a basic description that I found on the internet. It is very precise about how the perfume is made and smells:
"....The fragrance of the earth, derived from distilling cakes of mud into sandalwood. This rich, earthy, soothing, and exotic aroma was created by the ancient Indian perfumers to capture the smell of the first monsoon rain on the soil."

It really does smell like rain on earth. I must add that there is an oily base in it, I mean, it smells of oils, pure oils. It is the sandalwood, however it is different from the other sandalwood oil that I have. It is more oily than creamy (I hope this makes sense). Also, there is a slightly sharp top note that is a perfect contrast to the earthy smell that comes in the middle and end. I couldn't identify exactly what this top note is, but I would guess a sharp herb.

This perfume is truly beautiful, audacious in its simplicity and faithfulness to nature. It has moderate sillage but good longevity. It is an elegant and discreet perfume, quite masculine in my opinion. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
I guess we all share a similar liking to the smell of the rain hitting the ground, yes mitti attur is a similar smell and lovely! I also love the smell of freshly cut grass and the smell of the masala base of a curry

The scent of rain on earth... petrichor...

Here's what I wrote to Taha, three years ago, when I first smelled Oud Supreme...

I inhaled a little of the Malaysian oud and caught a clear whiff of
rain on dry ground. That scent is apparently called “petrichor”; I
didn’t even know it had a name until I looked it up. And that
“rawness”, yes, like grass crushed and rubbed together between my
palms.