F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
You may be right, but where does that leave the claims that the wood that was used to distill the old Ouds cannot now be used as it's too expensive?

One more point brother !

Better is the wood lesser is the distiller's headache.

And okay sets up have improved now but artists distillers exists since centuries...

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
You ar
There is a video by Robert Pappas, explaining that even GC reports (more accurately the one reading the report) can be fooled. Only a skilled expert would have the tools to identify it . But even when having the tools one could still miss out the trickery.

Right bro' go try to detect pork fat !

peter4ptv

something interesting i read on basenotes:

<<<<<<<
The Campus Oud Oil Black Market

No, you’re not seeing things.

As I continue work on my MBA, I paid a visit to our campus gift shop. We both talked fragrance, and learned something that was surprising, but not. Our campus has a large Middle Eastern student population, and many of these students import oud oil from their home countries. They then sell the oils through their dorms as a way to make extra cash.

Yup, it’s a black market for oud oil on a college campus. And the big news? The Western students buy it up. Maybe they just read Basenotes... or maybe they simply like the smell of it.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
I am new so can’t comment too much about past vs present.

I could be wrong but my gut feeling tells me some time in the near future 5-10-15 years most oud that are not laced with carrier oils or synthetics are going to be 90% young oil blended with a legend of its kind. Others will be blend if organic/cultivated wood with small percentage of wild in the blend. The selling points and marketing stories will be how this new oil is a whopping 20% wild material vs typical vendors 5%.

Royalbengalouds

Resident Artisan

I could be wrong but my gut feeling tells me some time in the near future 5-10-15 years most oud that are not laced with carrier oils or synthetics are going to be 90% young oil blended with a legend of its kind. Others will be blend if organic/cultivated wood with small percentage of wild in the blend. The selling points and marketing stories will be how this new oil is a whopping 20% wild material vs typical vendors 5%.

The future of oud is bright for sure InshaAllah, there was a vendor advising the end of oud is near tricking people to buy in like fluffed up stock on the market in the past , the the story is super false cause we still have oud , Amazing oud actually ,the backbone is with plantation and backyard trees growing on family plots for centuries, mother trees in the Chittagong national forest that produce seeds so migrating birds can eat them ,and many other people across south east Asia , it is our hands that will bring down fauna and species, our own efforts by planting and re planting species in the wild is a must , so wild oud InshaAllah should be available in the future , of course with a different type of price ratio , but At the end of the day I am a parent and we need to teach our children how to protect nature , not mowing all the Jungles down for lumber and fauna & Aggarwood is in the same domain, we want our children to say " Yes my father planted Aggarwood" but the worst will be " my dad chop many wild trees and never re planted 1 tree", hence meeting certain people inspired me to plant back home in Bangladesh, and multiple vendors on Ouddict are willing to help , a true community that helps one another, so InshaAllah I hope oud will always be pure and rest assure all Vendors on Ouddict mission is to provide the best quality oils available.☕️☕️☕️( only time will tell , we need more hippies in this world )

Last edited:

Rai Munir

Musk Man

Well, your gut feelings are about near future, but my gut feelings are about near past. And I don't take it as some deformity. Moreover, what @Royalbengalouds has said is a valid post. We have been listening end of oud for decades and decades, but on the market tolas and kilos of oils are always ready to be released. Private selling is like the base of an Oud Iceberg whose tip is on the market. Last, every year a newly discovered Oud species/ genre enters into the amphitheater where oils are being launched as gladiators. So, buy less, in future, there be rather more sophisticated oils for us. This is what I gather from the rapidly modernized techniques to distill oil, and accidentally coming across sinking grade wood hibernating in some Chinese or Taiwanese or Thai's larder. I am not worried about end of oud; I am worried about oud permutation. Guise and disguise. I know certain vendors can't withstand comparison of oils. I myself am not a stalwart supporter of it, but if it is done, there will be not more than two or three oils that will be distinguished from the very beginning. Otherwise, now oils are the game of TECHNIQUES, not OUD. Therefore, we are coming across with technique-oriented oils, especially for the last few months. If you read the descriptions of oils released two or three years before, technique has not been propagated and preached that much.

Last edited:

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
If its the end of Oud why are vendors stating the oils they have now are better than the ones that have passed. Also why did they back then state what they had is the best of the best. I take everything i hear with a pinch of salt as its 90% marketing/storys as opposed to the reality in its entirity. Yes its the end of Oud like with time its the end of everything, i don't think Ouds going anywhere too soon but without a doubt wild is on the decline.