"tigray" Frankincese Eo

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Jul 29, 2019.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

https://www.etsy.com/listing/711112...igray-frankincese?ref=listing_published_alert

Boswellia Papyrifera "Tigray" Frankincese EO
    This is my favorite frankincense , its a tropical dream full of fruit notes and flowery joy . A perfect perfume all on its own . At .5 to 1 percent oil its the lowest yielding frankincense ive distilled . Comparing this to a sacra which is up to 11 percent … so even though the resin is one of the cheapest on the market the oil is as expensive as royal green hojary . Be prepared to be stunned. This oil will change your thinking on what a frankincense oil is and can be !!
    10 usd a gram
    35 for 5 grams
    imagesYTPA8RTG.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    VPhong, Grega, Alkhadra and 3 others like this.
  2. PersonelHigh

PersonelHigh Oud Fanatic

I don't understand this one Tyson not yet. I wouldn't want anyone to understand me instantly and certainly I don't expect to immediately appreciate an art of any kind, I would hope the artist might have more depth than fast food. But my immediate response to Tigray was not pleasure (I am not conversant on the subtle differences between frankincenses in anyway that I might well articulate.) The subtleties are barely audible in my head but if you put my collection in front of me I could select a favorite. Your Tigray is my least favorite. I envisioned rubber which I suppose is modernist the other thought I had was an elephant. But I doubt that was your intention or what you perceive when you enjoy it as your favorite. Any guidance would be appreciated, with respect.

3. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

It’s definitely unusual. To me although it is distilled from frankincense, I am finding it doesn’t give me the frankincense “vibe” but instead something more complex, intense. I see what you mean by rubber, thought that’s not quite right to my nose. Maybe a kind of vinyl smell? It is a very intense oil with strong unusual notes for a frankincense. Not something I would wear as a perfume but interesting as a specimen!

4. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Interesting your appraisal of this oil, i dont much like the lighter fraction which disapates rather quickly its the heart note and drydown that i fell in love with . I really need a rotovap to remove the light fractions maybe remove about 30 percent of the oil in a rotovap this would remove the smells your both talking about which would be quite easy to do with the proper equipment . Its such a different frank that were not expecting it to smell how it does. Funny how some oils seem to need a bit of extra work to get the profile just right . Like the royal green hojary i dont like distilling for a long time because it gets really terpy and citrus . You lose yeild but gain in scent profile , this is the first time distilling tigray vs hojary ive distilled over 50 times to get it to the point i really feel i got it down . Alas without a rotovap curing the tigray would take along time to get the lighter notes to vape off . Let the tigray sit on your hand for 5 mins and then smell this is the heart that i love smelling from the bottle or dipstick its just not appealing , i guess i love it because of what i see in it , much like a gemstone that has not been carved i see it potential once a few well placed cuts bring.

5. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

at .9 of 1 percent oil though its a very low yielding frank perhaps the lowest , it comes from a place that is very very dry. So to remove the 30 percent of that were down to just over .6 . thats only 6 or 7 grams per kilo . This is one of the cheapest franks but its return makes it one of the most expensive.

6. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

I know what you mean about that heart note. It is unusual and quite interesting. I lack adjectives to describe.

tyson likes this.
  7. PersonelHigh

PersonelHigh Oud Fanatic

I really like the Tigray in the Heliophilia and I do notice that I miss the oddness of it when it dissipates. The numbers I don't understand, but my impression is that taming it doesn't make sense. There is a beastliness to it that has a place.

tyson likes this.
  8. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Love this description , your right sometimes we have to let a beast be its nature !!

Promote Oud!