1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Unusual Differences Between Sample And Full Purchase

Discussion in 'General' started by Yahya Schiltz-Rouse, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Yahya Schiltz-Rouse

Yahya Schiltz-Rouse Whats this Oud About?

I recently purchased a bottle of Oud Extraordinaire from Ensar Oud and was blown away by the sample bottle of Satori Fusho (SF) that came with it. It was completely different from the Oud Extraordinaire in that it was extremely floral and rich with absolutely no smokiness. I decided to purchase a bottle of Satori Fusho hoping for the same qualities in the sample, however, I noticed some significant differences between the sample (S) and full bottle (FB).

1. FB is darker than S.
    2. FB is less viscous than S.
    3. The floral character of FB is hidden under a "smoky" note (I have smelled this in other ouds and it is a prominent note in eaglewood oil), which disappears when exposed to air revealing it's smooth character.

I am hoping the differences are only related to duration of exposure to air since the sample bottle seem less secure than full bottle.

To experiment I put some of full bottle FB (diluted with etoh) into a micro centrifuge tube (MCT) and have it sitting side by side with the sample S and it is definitely darker. Since these centrifuge tubes have a bad seal a little oxidation can occur and the etoh will eventually evaporate.

Note: I can tell from smelling the cap of the MCT that the FB smells almost identical to S albeit a little weaker.

Does anyone else have experience with this phenomenon?

PersonelHigh and Jeff Wilson like this.
  2. EJayB

EJayB True Ouddict

I love your process of comparison and encourage you to continue searching for answers

Yahya Schiltz-Rouse likes this.
  3. halim

halim Oud Relax

other member have this experience

4. Attar Oudh

Attar Oudh Whats this Oud About?

That looks normal... I had same experience with Hindi oud oils...mostly due to temperature changes during transportation.

5. Yahya Schiltz-Rouse

Quick Update: The Sample (S) of Satori Fusho and the Full Bottle (FB) still smell very different.

I am guessing that the Sample (S) was mislabeled and is in fact Kastalana since it was so delicious/fruity/flowery smelling and not smoky at all.

I ordered a bottle of Kastalana and will let you know what I think when it arrives on the 31st.

If the sample turns out to be mislabeled I will probably try to sell or trade my Satori Fusho (~2.5 gr) at a discount on this forum

-Peace

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Imran297 and Attar Oudh like this.
  6. Mustafa

Mustafa Just Arrived

May be sell it now as you don't like it and put the money to better use

7. PersonelHigh

PersonelHigh True Ouddict

god YES !! More than once. I recommend taking a break. Going back to it again much later. I do my best sniffing in the morning. It could be anything literally. Which is extremely frustrating when you've fallen in love with the memory of a scent and what you've purchased is a new girlfriend:) or boyfriend:) It's inexplicable. I've heard people say you need to let the bottle breathe after transport that it's jet lagged. That air makes a difference. I've written about it here that I had this sense that I couldn't trust myself. I didn't have the sample to compare which might have left me feeling less insane.

8. Mustafa

Mustafa Just Arrived

Trust me I know the feeling. It happened to me a few times. However, in my case I was searching for a scent that I really like in a Viet vintage oud. I purchased the last few mls that they had left in that batch. Since then I keep searching for this scent. They have sent me couple of sample of other batches and I was dissapointed to find out that the scent profile is quite different. TBH the oils from that era are almost impossible to get.

9. Yahya Schiltz-Rouse

Anyone want to buy the Satori Fusho I received a few days ago for $200+free shipping? Only took ~ 2 small swipes. The label got some etoh on it, which smudged it. Just message me privately.

IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0271.JPG Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 10.33.31 PM.png
    Best,
    Yahya Schiltz-Rouse

Sproaty likes this.
  10. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

I'd let Ensar's team know too (if you haven't already)

11. Castingshadows

Castingshadows Oud Fan

I think ensar releases new batches of oils without telling people they’re separate distillations. That happened with Nagalayyen. The original version has way more animalic/raw/light barn to it where the new versions do not. The first distillation sold out so when he posted the second distillation there wasn’t a notation for anyone just that it’s “Nagalayyen”

I wonder if the same happens for Satori Fusho. You got an old sample from a previous distillation.

Yahya Schiltz-Rouse, Hakim and halim like this.
  12. Yahya Schiltz-Rouse

Here are a list of things I know the Unknown (U) sample not to be based on smell/color (Pictures attached below)

Namasoma - Smells different

People's Silani - Smells different

People's Kampot - Smells different

Naga Layyen - Smells different

Kastalana - Smells different

Satori Fusho - Dark colored and not very thick also smells different

Oud Extraordinaire - Smells different

Comparing it to synthetic musks like Habanolide, Cashmeran, and Exaltolide it is not musky/green smelling. IDK if that rules out Borneo Zen

It smells of a very restrained milky/vanilla with a tiny bit of peach and olive but also oudy. Could it be Osmanthus?

Photo 1. Satori Fusho - Note the rich dark color
    Photo 2. Satori Fusho - With backlight
    Photo 3. Unknown (U) is in the micro centrifuge tube second to furthest on right. The original sample bottle labelled Satori Fusho is out of focus in the background.
    Photo 4. Comparison of Oud Extraordinaire (Left) and U (Right). Note the light color of U
    Photo 5. U with backlight

IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0278.JPG IMG_0276.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 12:58 AM

Promote Oud!