• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Vietnamese Oud Distillation

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
I honestly hope to understand oud to a greater degree , participation in my passion with direct knowledge based on experience not the words of a salesman. This project and many others are more about understanding then money and I don’t expect much will be sold and most will be given. So many projects lined up and at some point I will get to the high grade Chips

That’s really cool man. It must be really satisfying to connect with Agarwood in this way. I can’t imagine the feeling of smelling oil you distilled yourself. Congrats and good luck!

EJayB

True Ouddict
BB723732-EB05-4CA1-95C9-A9914F82BDE2.jpeg

EJayB

True Ouddict
You can see some oil slipping around the bottom up the return path, I catch that in the secondary collection . That way it doesn’t recycle to the pot and “cook” the oil like some oud oils from the bush . that’s one small difference between production styles that affects the quality of the oil

Mr.P

Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist
I see - a second trap for that denser oil... very nice. I'd ask for some but I have a feeling you're booked. When you produce more and have a little surplus I also would a sample via a trade or purchase or whatever. The only unique thing I have to offer is Jasmine oil that I distilled from concrete I imported from India. It's like regular jasmine but about 10 times the punch when you smell it although realistically it's only maybe twice as concentrated as the absolute. I think the projection may be due to a few very potent molecules but it is a true blast of jasmine unlike the more dense and oily absolute.

Ashfaque

Analogue Oud
If possible, do and share some videos please! I love seeing those videos from Taha, R. Adam, and Bortnikoff. If I didn't have too many hobbies, I probably would've started distilling just to see how things work! @Rai Munir bhai's distillations were quite tempting in that regard.

Mr.P

Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist
If possible, do and share some videos please! I love seeing those videos from Taha, R. Adam, and Bortnikoff. If I didn't have too many hobbies, I probably would've started distilling just to see how things work! @Rai Munir bhai's distillations were quite tempting in that regard.

Do it! Then make videos of the type that inspired you and we will all benefit. :)

EJayB

True Ouddict
I’m getting about .5-.6% returns from a mix of wild and plantation chips . electrical cost and the shipping and wire fees all add up to more then you think. If my time is worth minimum wage here in My state of California it would mean this oil is costing me to much to honestly offer it for sale but truly it smells great right now as fresh as it is! As my cost of wood goes up and it will!! I’ll probably be less inclined to sell.
This is my scent journey and I’m trying to document it not sell it.
I don’t know if any other distillers would answer these questions, it’s like me asking you,
“ how much money do you spend on oud every year?” Exactly, how much? Which vendors?
Wood cost is relative to your connections and some get better deals then others . Some people buy 5kg some 500kg , trust me the price is not the same but the wood is! Some dealers won’t talk to you for less then a kg of high grade chips and others don’t speak business with people who can’t bank wire 20k at the drop of a hat, lots of risk getting the 3 card monte played on you or getting down right robbed! So in short cost of wood is a personal thing because we all pay different prices and kinda keep it to ourselves so as not to ruffle feathers.
so how much did you spend on oud last year ? 10k? 50?

I am sorry I hope I did not offend with this question. I am only interested because I have distillation equipment myself and was interested in making oil. Your labor and investment obviously contribute to the cost of the oil and I was interested in pricing because I don't know anything about agarwood itself. My goal is to reach the “sweet spot” in terms pricing where the graph of quality and quantity coincide for oil production.

I know the cost of these experiments as well as I have previously tried a ruthenium catalyzed hydrogenation of buddha wood oil to no avail.

Last edited:

EJayB

True Ouddict
I’m in no way offended, just thought I’d put out there how the question sounds to the one being asked. I understand that lots of people here have questions of cost relative to production. but only you can go out in the world and find the deal that you can find. The wholesale and retail side of AGARWOOD are completely different. It’s like the crystal world. I can go buy a nice Roc from a friend at a great deal because we are friends , I see him sell the same Roc to others for 3x the price and he turns around to me and say “but for you my friend it’s 1$ and we both laughed and hugs were exchanged and I bought 10k worth at 1$ a gram!
Same with AGARWOOD sometimes, it’s about the relationship and the volume.
Hope this helps and please show pictures if you start to distill

From the way you are writing I can presume that making your own oud can be significantly cheaper than purchasing it from some vendors if they overcharge you. Still I would not worry about offending other dealers based on whatever deal you got on your wood but I dont have a lot of experience. Seems scammy

Last edited:
EJayB did not want to tell me what he spent on the wood he used because he was afraid it would offend others in such a niche market. People seem to charge what ever they want. I am arguing that you can say what price you spent on wood as it will not destabilize the market as people realize they can make oud themselves and save money. Seems unlikely. Although some dealers might be really sensitive IDK.

Last edited:

EJayB

True Ouddict
You should definitely make some oud!! brother let me know how it works out for you because I can assure you that you will not be saving any money! Unless you have those great relationships to generate that affordable deal on hand and the money to make large purchases. I doubt you’ll be saving anything.
See : my goal is not to save or to earn but to learn and to experience and brother this experience is costing me a premium price for sure. My next distillation is cultivated kinam from shavings that I sell at 3$ per gram to help off set my cost of distillation along with all profit from the chips I sell, so if I sell thousands of dollars in chips and shavings I can bring down the price to load my pot to a level I can wrap my head around

Al Shareef Oudh

Resident Artisan
What is your budget?

If you want to learn you can start right at the base, get some cultivated material from South East Asia and begin. I like to encourage anyone who is inclined that way to give it ago. Don't expect anything more than 0.4% yield and if you get more excellent.

I also encourage them to make a note of their favourite oil with all its specs i.e age, location, style, aroma etc and when you distilled your oil compare it in your mind and ask the question how the smells vary and how you could achieve the same.

I read your thread about Buddah oil, and you couldn't have started with a more difficult wood. But I liked your method and endeavour, if you bring that along to distillation I am sure you will enjoy the journey.

Like any market, economies of scales gets the better deal. When we order bottles the very same bottle price per piece is massively different between 5000pieces and 10000 pieces. Whilst I this doesn't really translate directly to agarwood due to the scarcity, nevertheless the principle does still apply.

On this journey you will learn a lot, and you will start to appreciate both sides of coin, those who own their own hardware and distill and you will also appreciate why some have relationship with distillers who distill based on their specs.

It will also give you appreciation of the cost vs smell. Good luck, if you need any advice drop me a line.

EJayB did not want to tell me what he spent on the wood he used because he was afraid it would offend others in such a niche market. People seem to charge what ever they want. I am arguing that you can say what price you spent on wood as it will not destabilize the market as people realize they can make oud themselves and save money. Seems unlikely. Although some dealers might be really sensitive IDK.