What Oud Infos are important to you, when you purchase an oil? + *Poll*

Discussion in 'General' started by Jimmie Taylor, Jan 13, 2017.

?

What oud infos are important to you, when you purchase an oil?

1. where is it originating from?

2. what are the raw materials?

3. what distillation-techniques were used?

4. is the material single sourced origin or mixed?

5. is the material from one tree?

6. is it wild?

7. is it organic or not?

8. how long has it matured?

9. how old was the tree?

10. are there pictures of the wood for the distillation?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jimmie Taylor

Jimmie Taylor Doude

What is important for you?
    For me the more infos the better.

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  2. Alexander Oudh

Alexander Oudh Whats this Oud About?

CITES and Government Forestry Harvest Certificates are the most important and should be for everyone to include the consumer. This will guarantee where your oil/wood originated. It will also let you know that yor money isnt funding illegal poaching of endangered wood which I know takes place because I unfortunatly have illegal wood and oil that I will never sell.

Ouddict and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  3. Jimmie Taylor

Jimmie Taylor Doude

I heard that SultanulOud offers CITES.
    I think Feel-Oud is on a really good move with regard to offering much information.
    I hope that will inspire others also to provide a little bit more infos. :D

Mandeel AlMandeel and JohnH like this.
  4. Ammar

Ammar Oud Fan

@Jimmie Taylor,
    Your flight of ideas cannot be followed easily! You almost created brain storms between members here LOL!

Good job...

5. Ouddict

Ouddict Forum Co-Founder & Owner

True... Jimmy is on a mission to DOUBLE the forum post count on his own.... in the next week :D:D:D

Mandeel AlMandeel and JohnH like this.
  6. JohnH

JohnH Oud Fan

The most important thing to me, as with any fragrance, is how does it..... smell!

Mandeel AlMandeel and F4R1d0uX like this.
  7. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

For me, most important is honesty of the seller.
    Papers are hard to get sometimes.
    Nobody can clame papers on wild Ceylon for example.

I dont care if it's wild or farmed if the material is has described and well distilled, I'm okay.

At the end, aroma speaks...

Mandeel AlMandeel and AbasFrag like this.
  8. jalil

jalil Oud bully

The most important oud info is a sample.

I bought oils only on infos and sometimes I regret.

I bought oils on infos AND sample and I never regret.

9. hasans1412

hasans1412 Resident Artisan

The region is an important factor followed by the scent profile. The region, because you can estimate what genre of Oud you are going for, although I understand the scent profile spectrum is long and wide; at least you can work on something solid since the scent profile sometimes maybe too much subjective to the individual when it's described. For instance, if one doesn't like barnyard smell, one can take the precautions when thinking about going for an oil from Indian region or vice- versa.

Having said that, if Ione was to inspect through the oils/ sample the oil, then I guess everything becomes irreverent expect the oil that their nose and heart yearns for more :)

10. Alexander Oudh

Should be very easy to get documents on all wood if it was harvested legally.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    F4R1d0uX likes this.
  11. F4R1d0uX

Are we talking about wild ?
    Yes but in wich countries ?
    Is the hunter always the wood seller ?
    Is the wood seller always the distiller ?
    Is the distiller always the wholesaler ?
    Is the wholeseller always the final seller ?
    In all this chain, is the paper always aviable ?
    I have Cites docs on farmed, CGMS docs too, but with wild ? ...

12. Jimmie Taylor

Jimmie Taylor Doude

What do you all mean with: ...? :D

13. F4R1d0uX

Hey my friend ...= seriously ? If you really want to know ...

14. Alexander Oudh

1. Out of the 183 countries and territories that have either ratified or accepted CITES, all of the mainstream agarwood producing nations make CITES available if a legal harvest of wild or cultivated Aquilaria has been applied for. If the harvest was done due to poaching CITES will not be available.

2. The remainder of your questions are dependent on many factors. Now days most of the owners of distilleries have their own team who will hunt/harvest wild wood legally. This enables the distillers to employ a fulltime workforce as the hunter may play multiple roles in the process of oil production. For example, Distiller X may employ 10 people fulltime. Those 10 people will have several functions which may include being a government liason, hunter, porter, grader, grinder, carver, wholesaler, distiller. (This is usually the case at reputable distilleries and this model is seen across Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam).

Smaller distilleries with a few pots, much like you see in youtube videos are usually distilling questionable agarwood. What I mean by questionable is that its more than likely illegally poached or stolen from plantations. I have visited many of these questionable distilleries and not a single one could produce government documentation for the tons of wood stacked next to it.

So in short your questions cannot be answered in a single form. My suppliers are an all-in-one team and produce CITES certificates for wild and cultivated products. The only thing that differentiates between wild and cultivated is a Harvest certificate issued by governments. This grants permission to a party for a specific period of time which enables them to hunt wild Aquilaria. Once Harvested usually forest rangers will make their way to the site prior to movement of the tree to issue a formal declaration of Harvest by the authorizing government entity which will detail the location, time, date, subspecies ect. That ranger also provides protection for the hunters during the movement of the wild harvested tree due to poachers.

I am headed to Thailand tonight and will get a few Harvest certificates if available to post here so everyone can see what they look like.

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  15. F4R1d0uX

Thank you for this complete answer Alexander !

I'd be curious to see Thai Govt authorising people to harvest a tree legaly.

16. Alexander Oudh

Welcome

17. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek

Agarwood world are more than cities and only powerful ppl control in that more than others also politics inside that business is gangsters games, I can bring for you wild wood illegal with official cities ...

Alexander Oudh, Ouddict and Ammar like this.
  18. dave999

dave999 Whats this Oud About?

And a description of the scent profile. Lot of adjectives, but no exageratives.

Mandeel AlMandeel and AbasFrag like this.
  19. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

So you don't like: it smells like an ocean inside a cave full of rose jam with soil of cardamom and saffron? ?? :')

Then @F4R1d0uX isn't the reviewer you should listen to :/

:rolleyes:

20. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

For me all of the listed are important however the main would be wild/cultivated, age of the oil & the grade of wood used.

Promote Oud!