What oud oil origin is missing the most in your collection?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jimmie Taylor, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jimmie Taylor

Jimmie Taylor Doude

What oud oil origin is missing the most in your collection?

Cambodian
    Indian
    Thai
    Malaysian
    Bruneian
    Indonesian
    Sri Lankan
    Chinese
    Vietnamese
    Laotian
    Taiwanese
    Burmese
    Phillipine:
    Bornean
    Sumatran
    Papuan
    ?

I would have made a poll but it would be too much poll choices^_^
    I want some Vietnam Oil for sure

What about these countries?
    Is/was there growing oud also?

Mongolian
    Myanmar
    Korean
    Japanese
    Nepalese
    Bhutanese

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

I only have one Philipino oil and dont know of any other oil from this country, i would want more from here for sure

F4R1d0uX and Jimmie Taylor like this.
  3. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Hello !

Never heard of agarwood grown in Japan, Mongolia and Korea.

You have also even if it's very close to Malay Sarawak, Brunei agarwood.

4. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek

No Agarwood in Japan , Singapore , Korea , Nepal , Bhutanese they have but extremely rare , I found some plantation in Taiwan and thats was so surprised for me ...

5. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

I would need some cambodis. I have 2 and they are my favorites together with hindis. Lately I've been focusing on hindis most... but whenever I wear KZ Malaysia classic I love it and tell my self that I have to explore more Malaysians

So in other words I miss a lot of all regions :p

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  6. riviera274

riviera274 Administrator and Hindi Lover Staff Member

I need to try Lao,ive tried a lot of samples but don't ever recall trying an Lao oil

7. Alexander Oudh

Alexander Oudh Whats this Oud About?

This is gonna capture some of your attention.................South American dehen oudh is almost impossible to find, and heavily sought after by us.

8. Jimmie Taylor

Jimmie Taylor Doude

South american agarwood? Heard that for the first time ye

9. Alexander Oudh

Hi Jimmie

Yes there are a family of trees in South & Central American that produce agarwood much like the Aquilaria family of trees.

10. Ouddict

Ouddict Forum Co-Founder & Owner

??? Really? What is the name of the tree?

JohnH likes this.
  11. Alexander Oudh

Burseraceae: Trees in the Burseraceae family that can form agarwood mainly grow in central South America.

Lauraceae: Trees in the Lauraceae family that can form agarwood mainly grow in central South America.

Euphorbiaceae: Trees in the Euphorbiaceae family that can form agarwood are mainly distributed in the tropics.

bhanny likes this.
  12. Faizal_p

Faizal_p Resident Artisan

JohnH and Habz786 like this.
  13. Alexander Oudh

14. Santal Claus

Santal Claus Whats this Oud About?

Are you speaking about fragrant wood, resins and exudates in general, or actual agarwood with its peculiar molecules when distilled such as agarospirol and jinkoh-eremol, among others? As far as I know, agarwood is only produced by two genera in Thymelaeaceae. Burseraceae is the frankincense family and it is well-represented in the Americas. The American plants in this family are responsible for the classic copal of Mesoamerica, palo santo of South America, the elephant tree of Arizona and many fragrant and resinous trees of the Caribbean islands, South Florida and American tropics. The laurel family also produces resins and fragrant plants. As for the last family you mentioned, I am not too certain about its fragrant members. This would be a first read for me if true agarwood was produced by these families.

JohnH likes this.
  15. Faizal_p

Faizal_p Resident Artisan

Mr Claus I have to agree with you, these are trees forming resins related to frankincense and camphor. From my brief reading it doesn't look like they form agarwood style resin.
    Unless Alexander can expound further...

JohnH and Habz786 like this.
  16. hedycent

hedycent Oud Fan

Hum looks like that article is suffering from some meaning changes via translation.
    Fragrant wood do come from the species mentioned but they are not agarwood.
    It also states that agarwood takes hundreds of year to form- clearly nonesense

Mandeel AlMandeel and Habz786 like this.
  17. Jimmie Taylor

Jimmie Taylor Doude

Could a Poll of this thread be made, so that maybe vendors would know what we are waiting for the most?
    I wanted to add a Poll to the thread but the possible Poll answers are not enough.

18. Alexander Oudh

Aromatic Plants Cultivation, Processing And Uses by H. Panda will expand on the subject. There are various other books that also speak about these other family of trees that have hundreds of genre with a few that produce agarwood.

19. Santal Claus

Santal Claus Whats this Oud About?

I'm sorry, I checked this book out on Google and found nothing to indicate that there are plants in the families that you named that actually produce agarwood. I specifically didn't see anything about it being produced in South America. If you were mistaken about it, that's certainly fine. We all do make mistakes. The book is certainly a gem but a bit dated, since it doesn't seem to account for new data in agarwood and sandalwood cultivation. If anyone else is aware of agarwood being produced by genera of plants outside of Aquilaria and Gyrinops, please chime in, because I am certainly interested. I would think that if this were so, the companies involved in this trade of this precious commodity would have exploited these sources by now and we nerds would know of it. Not entirely impossible, like anything. A company named Evolva is synthesizing beta-santalol from yeast, but that is different from other plants producing agarwood.

20. Abdullah

Abdullah Junior Member

agreed. maybe lost in translation?

Promote Oud!