1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

What Should We Look Out For When Selecting Oud Chips?

Discussion in 'Agarwood' started by Hakim, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Hakim

Hakim Whats this Oud About?

Salam all,

What do you guys look out for other when selecting chips? Maybe any physical characteristics that show the chips have better aroma, etc as it would be impossible to burn every chip slightly while choosing them.

Oudamberlove likes this.
  2. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

For the most part...you have to burn every chip.

There are some cases, that when the chips are big enough, and judging by their general shapes, the style of carving, their color, and their resination...
    all these factors in comparison to each other.....
    then you may be able to pick those that will smell similar....within a batch.

As for what will smell good based on appearance
    .......no way José.

VPhong, TDK and Hakim like this.
  3. Hakim

How about flat pieces resinated on one side vs thicker pieces?

20200109_172115.jpg 20200109_172302.jpg

Andrew Salkin likes this.
  4. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I will heat them and compare:Cooler:

5. tpemnl

tpemnl Whats this Oud About?

Kynam. How much do you think this will go for?

Attached Files:

6. Hakim

If its true wild kinam maybe 700/g from the Taiwanese market?

7. Hakim

The thicker pieces seem to have more concentrated resin and much more vanillic notes to me. Hmm the thinner pieces lasted much shorter with a sweeter scent profile similar to other cultivated oud

Really love heating oud using a mica plate and charcoal :X3:

8. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

Those smaller nugget pieces look more like they could be wild. They might have more resin than appearances would let you believe but they do look pretty white. The 2nd pic looks more like cultivated wood. Again - not anything crazy looking resin wise. I think I'd probably prefer the first picture if you forced me to pick from photos alone.

9. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

Weight? Is that one piece? Where did you purchase from? Any idea what region?

10. Hakim

Hmm so the first few are possibly wild? I picked these out from a mixed batch of some wild and majority cultivated (similar to the flat sheets) and yes, they're not high grade chips but look darker irl as the pic was taken with direct sunlight facing the chips

11. tpemnl

Thats from a piece not just one. This i estimate about 30 grams perhaps. Its mine direct from the Brunei jungle.

12. tpemnl

Attached Files:

13. Oud_learner

Oud_learner Junior Member

If you truly want to know what you are paying for, do as what @Oudamberlove said, you have to heat smell every single piece. Physical appearance does not correlate well to its aroma (classical example is the kyara/kinam), otherwise one could just buy the blackest piece he could ever find.

For me, the rule of thumb is the unheated wood fragrance. If no smell (‘woody’ smell does not count), buy consideration base on heat test only. If slight fragrance, will consider based on appearance (mainly to check for adulteration) and pricing; if heat test is not possible. If strong fragrance, will buy straight away if within budget, even without the heat test (appearance check still needed to check for authenticity). If superb strong fragrance, don’t bother to buy, just contact me!

VPhong and Hakim like this.
  14. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

I would add, be careful of glued oud chips. This piece emitted a faintly chemical smell.

Attached Files:

15. Hakim

Yeah that and BMW wood are the worst! Glad that there arent many glued chunks here especially the smaller pieces

16. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

What is BMW?
    Outside the sanctuary of the marketplace here its like walking on landmines :Cautious:

17. tpemnl

Like a rock. Not a rock. Like a ladies perfume..

Attached Files:

18. tpemnl

19. tpemnl

its hard to get the smoke out. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

20. tpemnl

resin

Attached Files:

Promote Oud!