1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Whats an Oud Artisan

Discussion in 'Oud Market Trends' started by Habz786, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

How would you guys describe an Oud Artisan? How does one qualify to be deemed an Artisan? Distilling? Designing? the whole process? Knowledge? Skills? Share your thoughts...........:cool:

Mario P. likes this.
  2. jalil

jalil Oud bully

the distiller

3. Habz786

Jalil any reasons as to why you say distiller?

4. OudNovice

OudNovice Junior Member

I don't agree that the artisan is the distiller alone. I believe a true artisan is the one who sees his/her product from beginning to end. Someone who loves what they do with their hands and goes trough great lengths to achieve the results to the highest standards possible. I believe there are few artisans, there are the Oud lovers, but a true artisan is the one involved in the journey of Oud from beginning to the last detail!

5. Habz786

Imagine seeing an oil evolve from the chopping of the tree/ sourcing the wood,carving, grinding, soaking to collecting after distillation,curing etc. How would one feel going through all of that? must be amazing and really a experience to appreciate what went into that tiny bottle blood, sweat & tears. For me the artisan is the one who doesn't only paint the picture, but builds the canvas, makes the brushes, mixes the paint and then completes the masterpiece, its not a title which would be easily dished out in my opinion but one which would need to be earnt :)

Imran297 and Qayyum Shaikh like this.
  6. OudNovice

OudNovice Junior Member

Not everyone is a perfectionist, true artisans are perhaps insane and crazy! They will go through great lengths and will set high standards for themselves, I reckon such people have high quality standards, both in their work and their personal lives. They don't leave room for error. May be I speculate but then I have high standards and my first smell of Oud was one of the most expensive ouds I ever took a liking for.

Qayyum Shaikh likes this.
  7. Habz786

Which oud was it buddy?

8. OudNovice

OudNovice Junior Member

EO Oud Royale 1985

9. Habz786

Nice oil, What other oils you tried?

10. OudNovice

OudNovice Junior Member

Not many, just a few though I think I can differentiate the higher end to the 20 dollar mark ones 😉

Habz786 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. OudNovice

OudNovice Junior Member

I like musk pure musk it's a rarity

12. Habz786

Yes i don't think there's anything like pure musk oil, but musk grains in sandalwood or used in blends is available and smells beautiful!

Qayyum Shaikh likes this.
  13. OudNovice

OudNovice Junior Member

Depends where it's from and even sandalwood is rare. Mysore sandalwood?

14. Habz786

checkout the sandalwood thread some nice info there

15. OudNovice

OudNovice Junior Member

Will do thanks

16. bhanny

bhanny Guest

Like that Habz, nice way to look at it and not sure I could put it any more eloquently!

17. Oud_learner

Oud_learner Junior Member

My holistic impression of an artisan. 😊

True artisan Oud oil implies a profound understanding of the craft of distilling it. Coupled with this understanding is a deep love for the craft, respect for the tree, and gratitude for those who purchase the oil. This is obvious at every step: selection of materials, care of process, and joy in presenting it to others.

Artisan was a term originally applied to those people that create something of value for the community, who through dedication reach the expressive form of art in their craft by producing a pure product of their vision.

18. jalil

jalil Oud bully

it was just about to start ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
  19. jalil

jalil Oud bully

Artisan is every persons who contribute to make an artisanal oud oil. It begin with plant the seed to collect the oil

20. Shabby

Shabby Junior Member

Each artisan has a unique touch and personality; each great wood has an unfathomable depth. When the two coincide and complement each other, this is the glorious artisanal achievement!

Promote Oud!