Mr.P

oud<3er
Looking for some information on what is needed to legally sell small batches of perfume at a farmer’s market type setup or online (in USA). I figured this would be a good place to start.

I understand the need to use denatured alcohol to avoid issues with the feds, but what I’m less clear on is if you need to have a permit or license to sell a fragrance like this since it is perhaps considered a cosmetic.

I read somewhere that a formula and possibly sample needs to be sent to some 3 letter agency (not sure if FDA, ATF, FBI) to verify that you are not selling drinkable booze in perfume bottles to avoid the liquor tax… even if you use denatured alcohol as the solvent. I guess the thought is some clever person could make it palatable somehow??

I’ve been messing around for decades, and have a few simple combinations that I enjoy and a local market nearby would like to carry something along the lines of what I have in mind. Trying to understand what is involved with a small side gig like this.

It occurs to me that I should probably just make attars and skip the alcohol issue (but this has its own challenges including cost)

Basenotes is another place to ask and I know there is a natural perfumer’s guild that may have info (I am going to check their site now).

Last edited:

mesOUD

Resident Artisan
Looking for some information on what is needed to legally sell small batches of perfume at a farmer’s market type setup or online (in USA). I figured this would be a good place to start.

I understand the need to use denatured alcohol to avoid issues with the feds, but what I’m less clear on is if you need to have a permit or license to sell a fragrance like this since it is perhaps considered a cosmetic.

I read somewhere that a formula and possibly sample needs to be sent to some 3 letter agency (not sure if FDA, ATF, FBI) to verify that you are not selling drinkable booze in perfume bottles to avoid the liquor tax… even if you use denatured alcohol as the solvent. I guess the thought is some clever person could make it palatable somehow??

I’ve been messing around for decades, and have a few simple combinations that I enjoy and a local market nearby would like to carry something along the lines of what I have in mind. Trying to understand what is involved with a small side gig like this.

It occurs to me that I should probably just make attars and skip the alcohol issue (but this has its own challenges including cost)

Basenotes is another place to ask and I know there is a natural perfumer’s guild that may have info (I am going to check their site now).
I am in for your first creation,i am sure it will be super B

Mr.P

oud<3er
Appreciate the thoughts. What’s daunting is the amount of experimentation that would be needed to turn a sketch into a finished design. This has me thinking that I should just do the most simple things to start, and so i’m not sure I would have much to offer to the people here with their amazing collections.

I imagine something perhaps most of value to a person who appreciates the aesthetics and beauty (and limits) of natural fragrance, but doesn’t have the commitment or time or resources to really track down the materials.

I don’t feel like I can improve on nature, but I can certainly curate a collection of simple fragrances that highlight natural beauty

Orristocratic

True Ouddict
I am aware of whats legal procedure in EU, but not in US. But I'm 100% sure there are less restrictions in US, EU is just crazy!