Santal Claus

True Ouddict
I am Muslim, but before partition the Hindus did live in the village I belong to. Therefore, even today, cultural give and take is visible in our life. My ancestors told me about the importance, rather inevitability of Sandal and Saffron (keisar) in their daily life. Sandalwood tree is a sacred tree. And sacred not just in books, it is sacred in life.

Second, my grandfather was a hakeem- Ayurveda Expert/ Physician. So, wood was always there to be used to prepare certain medicines. Moreover, 'agarbatti- incense sticks have been used in our houses when Europe was unaware of Oud, Sandal Oil. Third, Sandalwood sharbat- drink- is even today my everyday drink. Now not Mysore, but Ceylon. Fourth, rosary beads if made of Sandalwood, is lush. And since childhood, I have been smelling that rosary beads which was almost 50 to 70 years old. My yardstick is that note embeded in my mind. Sandal is not something I discovered after getting thirty plus.

Sandal and Musk have always been the very foundation of our life here. Though after partition, things become complex, but Sandal and Oud do travel in here.

Great, great. You are blanketed by divinity now.
A very interesting history and a pleasure to read. As for sandalwood sharbat, how is this prepared? Do you use the distillate water? I sort of like the taste of sandalwood as well, and I can see why it has been such a popular flavoring for so long.

peter4ptv

Auxiliary Notes were described finely. Very interesting but I refuse to include it as subject of deep interest in my olfactory journey. Because it is not a globally accepted phenomenon. Neither is Kyen nor Kyara. These words mean so much in some part of the world and in some it would have some local lingo or no lingo at all. Oud in India is a simple affair. I have old oils and woods. Probably I am closer to Assam or Oud than any of the respected distillers. Tajul sir is also a great guide and very capable distiller. We talk on phone. I have Oud seller friends on Dubai and everywhere else. I have done my homework very well. And out of sheer passion. I have NO business interests. I make my own blends too with good materials. Some of which are equal to 1000 USD attars. Sometimes that cracks me up. I have bought Kyara too. I think my Oud journey is nearly complete. Oud has become a subject of interest due to sudden market explosion. Every day a new Oud scientist and distiller appears on these forums. Guys who started using Oud 2 years back are now RESPECTED sellers. Oh sorry ! That is not the traditional system we are used to here. In India the tola price for Khara Agar or 1st distillation in Hojai is Rs 12000. Pure Indian Incense No barn. It is watery runny. Believe it not ? Believe it. The Indian Boya scene is very different. The tradition is different.

I really respect all the beautiful Modern Ouds. And I will continue to buy. But my enthusiasm is NOT the same. We are far from the truth.

If someone seeks to find answers he must tread on a journey. It will not be served on a plate. Thats what I have learnt. I have wasted tons of wealth on Oud and my experiements trying to get closer to source. Endless hours of studying and lack of sleep.

So if some Oud investors think they are the only ones who have burnt their hands they are wrong. Two wrongs will not make anything right.

In classical Hindu philosophy one must lose all ego and achievements on the path of self realistion. We must progress with open minds and accept positive criticism and feedback to grow and contribute. And I will continue to do so.

I am not here to preach, protest or promote. Nor will I ever stand in anyone s path. But as a learner I will try my best to find facts and share with u all. I follow logic and my facts will evolve. I wont be rigid in my beliefs ever. Cheera
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMG_4415.JPG
IMG_4416.JPG

My latest find.

Feels heavy, and sealed very well.

If anyone has tried this exact type, please let me know if it's good stuff.

I'm not going to open it yet, I'll see how long I could hold out.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
What a score ! By the way here is a video of the Mysore Sandal Oil factory I found. Look the reactions of the Sandal Lovers when they sniff real stuff for the first time. Enjoy. Fascinating stuff.

Finally received the sandalwood oil from Ali Brothers Perfumers. Thanks Nikhil for recommending it. Reminds me of the Mysore of days past.
Very buttery and luscious oil. I'm going to use it to macerate some musk grains that I had been keeping for sometime. Should be a beautiful marriage.

What about rose with musk?

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Finally received the sandalwood oil from Ali Brothers Perfumers. Thanks Nikhil for recommending it. Reminds me of the Mysore of days past.
Very buttery and luscious oil. I'm going to use it to macerate some musk grains that I had been keeping for sometime. Should be a beautiful marriage.
Congrats respected Sir. Is it just buttery or some other nuances are there? If you have Feel Oud and IO's Santals, especially IO's Santal 2002, would you please share your findings?
Thanks.

Respected @Habz786 and @Oudamberlove: One review has been posted. Yours is awaited.

Last edited:
Congrats respected Sir. Is it just buttery or some other nuances are there? If you have Feel Oud and IO's Santals, especially IO's Santal 2002, would you please share your findings?
Thanks.

Respected @Habz786 and @Oudamberlove: One review has been posted. Your is awaited.
Nice to hear a positive review of that sandalwood oil, I hope when mine arrives I can give a good report.

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
How awesome. Bless you buddy. And try mixing this oil with with aged oud like Kalakassi and see the magic :) Cheers

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
Thanks for your review :)