Ersel

Stoudent
Today I sprayed Amouage rose incense. Really beautiful and minimalistic yet so rich. Masterpiece if you ask me..
I remember I've been looking at this when it first came out. I wanted to try it but I remember it being expensive, and there were no samples to be found. Thanks for the reminder.

I have a small sample I scored somewhere of the Interlude 53 and I wrote a review of it today:

"Interlude 53 : Incense and sweet spices

Some fragrances are such that you get the idea where the perfumer wants to go with them, but the fragrance is not there yet. Interlude, however, makes you feel like it is there already. An unapologetic, oriental fragrance.

You want a genie in the lamp? Here is an attar in a spray bottle!
So what does it smell like? It smells like a place where sweet incense is burned and where spices are traded. It smells like a temple and a bazaar on a warm night. It is resinous and warm and full-bodied. It is also stubborn and unyielding. There is no window that you can open to clear out the smell of a bazaar. No one will stop the crowd that is bringing the incense to the temple to burn. The only time it will subside is when it cools down before the morning of the next day. So, if you are looking for such a scent, here is certainly a candidate.

Notes: Thick, resinous, syrupy-sweet balanced through a green menthol-candy that is smoky-warm and with no mentholic cooling."

I made a break from oud until recently but in the meantime have been getting small samples of some perfumes as a temporary-subsitute. It is really cheap and convenient here because there is a large community that sells small decants. One perfume that I liked is Ambra Aurea by Profumum Roma, with an advice against blind buying it as the incense can be too much. And another is Myrrhe Imperiale that is since recently discontinued. It has something like a nice, clean almost soapy Myrrhe note.

Last edited:

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
I remember I've been looking at this when it first came out. I wanted to try it but I remember it being expensive, and there were no samples to be found. Thanks for the reminder.

I have a small sample I scored somewhere of the Interlude 53 and I wrote a review of it today:

"Interlude 53 : Incense and sweet spices

Some fragrances are such that you get the idea where the perfumer wants to go with them, but the fragrance is not there yet. Interlude, however, makes you feel like it is there already. An unapologetic, oriental fragrance.

You want a genie in the lamp? Here is an attar in a spray bottle!
So what does it smell like? It smells like a place where sweet incense is burned and where spices are traded. It smells like a temple and a bazaar on a warm night. It is resinous and warm and full-bodied. It is also stubborn and unyielding. There is no window that you can open to clear out the smell of a bazaar. No one will stop the crowd that is bringing the incense to the temple to burn. The only time it will subside is when it cools down before the morning of the next day. So, if you are looking for such a scent, here is certainly a candidate.

Notes: Thick, resinous, syrupy-sweet balanced through a green menthol-candy that is smoky-warm and with no mentholic cooling."

I made a break from oud until recently but in the meantime have been getting small samples of some perfumes as a temporary-subsitute. It is really cheap and convenient here because there is a large community that sells small decants. One perfume that I liked is Ambra Aurea by Profumum Roma, with an advice against blind buying it as the incense can be too much. And another is Myrrhe Imperiale that is since recently discontinued. It has something like a nice, clean almost soapy Myrrhe note.
Tried them all :D

I agree that it can be so hard to sample Amouage. Unfortunately I'm not even interested in sampling their new releases after trying the last ones.. it's been my favourite house for a long time so this makes me sad. Anyhow, luckily they still sell most of their old perfumes :)

Rose incense is totally worth a shot if you like rose and incense. The rose in here is totally different from other roses though. It smells more like rose hydrosol. Quite airy yet has some darkness that mixes perfectly with the incense

Ofaruk

True Ouddict
Today I sampled 3 perfumes:

Oudh infini by Dusita: Civet bomb, laotian oud and rose in the background. Ultra animalic. I dislike it but I dont blame those who love it.

Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff: Very fresh opening, floral and creamy. Musk is felt straight in the opening. Probably only niche perfume in the market that has real deer musk.

Sacred Scarab by Zoologist(Sultan Pasha): Boozy opening, slightly animalic with classic French cypre style. I found it very similar with traditional Turkish tobacco cologne.

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
2-3 weeks ago i went to a shop to test Dior Homme Parfum, sprayed it on a blotter paper strip, and went out. I wanted to check it out cause of all the hype on the youtube (youtube.com/watch?v=9AJTUrV58lA stuff like that), and since i heard it was leathery, woody, and violets/orris i thought it sounds like something for me. I sniffed the progression of it till dry down. And all i can say about it... it's complete rubbish. Especially dry down, like a dirty random mix of synthetic fixative molecules, I would need solid shower if i sprayed this on myself, i would not pay 3 bucks for it, and they sell this crap for over 100$, who is buy this sh*t?

Disclaimer: Just my personal opinion.

Since there is now a shop with top-shelf perfumes in my city i will be visiting it more and checking out other perfumes, with not much expectations, but to try and learn.

Too bad they don't have stuff like Ajmal here.

EJayB

True Ouddict
2-3 weeks ago i went to a shop to test Dior Homme Parfum, sprayed it on a blotter paper strip, and went out. I wanted to check it out cause of all the hype on the youtube (youtube.com/watch?v=9AJTUrV58lA stuff like that), and since i heard it was leathery, woody, and violets/orris i thought it sounds like something for me. I sniffed the progression of it till dry down. And all i can say about it... it's complete rubbish. Especially dry down, like a dirty random mix of synthetic fixative molecules, I would need solid shower if i sprayed this on myself, i would not pay 3 bucks for it, and they sell this crap for over 100$, who is buy this sh*t?

Since there is now a shop with top-shelf perfumes in my city i will be visiting it more and checking out other perfumes, with not much expectations, but to try and learn.

Everything in the so called niche perfume category turns my stomach and turns me off to the exploration of scent. I was recently given a bag of top level perfume samples and everything was just absolutely offensive to my senses. Aventus from creed was the worst and reminded me of the cheap cologne that truck drivers wear to cover BO on long haul drives .
I am not a victim of the marketing narrative or the hype of others opinions that’s been seeded by the same marketers .
I can’t believe the price customers pay for this marketing strategy that is just a blend of synthetics that the generic drug store brands copy (99%) and sell for 10$
Ingredients are commercially available for pennies and they are all copied because they don’t actually have anything special or unique in them. Lots of money spent to make consumers think they got more than what they actually received. 🤣😂

Mr.P

oud<3er
There are synthetics and natural isolates that are very pleasant but hearing folks at BN discuss perfume creation it seems to all focus on mixtures of synthetics which I just don’t get. I would assume the way to make a perfume is to start with a solid core of a very high quality natural material…

Sidney Gilbey

Resident Artisan
Everything in the so called niche perfume category turns my stomach and turns me off to the exploration of scent. I was recently given a bag of top level perfume samples and everything was just absolutely offensive to my senses. Aventus from creed was the worst and reminded me of the cheap cologne that truck drivers wear to cover BO on long haul drives .
I am not a victim of the marketing narrative or the hype of others opinions that’s been seeded by the same marketers .
I can’t believe the price customers pay for this marketing strategy that is just a blend of synthetics that the generic drug store brands copy (99%) and sell for 10$
Ingredients are commercially available for pennies and they are all copied because they don’t actually have anything special or unique in them. Lots of money spent to make consumers think they got more than what they actually received. 🤣😂
Aventus is hardly niche
It also has very few naturals in which is why it is so easy and cheap to copy.
My perfumes are packed full of naturals

The Scent Guru

Agarwhoreder
Staff member

what shop has DHP on the shelves? In the USA, Mexico and in the Duty free Caribbean I couldn't find any. I hear it's still available in France. I personally find DHP to be the upper echelon of commercial fragrance. Like anything else, it's a matter of personal taste.

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
In my city it was Douglas perfume retail network shop, they got shops in multiple Polish cities, as well as online shop douglas.pl .

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
I absolutely agree with you 100%. I have similar feelings.

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
There are synthetics and natural isolates that are very pleasant but hearing folks at BN discuss perfume creation it seems to all focus on mixtures of synthetics which I just don’t get. I would assume the way to make a perfume is to start with a solid core of a very high quality natural material…

Again agree with you sir as well. That's what i'm trying to achive with my personal blends. I make core for example with leathery things and oud and i have some synthetics and naturals, (like for example geosmin and ionones being synthetic, cypriol absolute or pink pepper being natural) that i'm trying to add on top of the base to make it more to my liking and interesting. Well, it's also for the projection if it's about perfume to wear when going out. For my own smelling pleasure when alone in the house pure oud seems to be just about perfect on its own.

I think oud will always be in the base for me, there seems to be nothing more complex and amazing in the liquid form than oud.

And I like ouddict forum, it's one of those places where people actually understand me 😅.

Last edited:

Ofaruk

True Ouddict
Recent discoveries
Dead of Night Strangelove NYC: Oud, rose, casteroum. Smells like real indian oud is used in the composition. Expensive for a full bottle ($900/100ml)

Salome by Papillon: Beautiful animalic chypre. Natural smelling and unique composition has real hyrax and casteroum in the blend.

Anubis by Papillon: Incensy and ultra refined shamama’tul amber. Lasts a full day, very well rounded.

Hana no oto by Di Ser: Opens lightly soapy and lemony with an implication of “something serious” is hidden behind. Kodo style incensy oud makes it truly sophisticated. One of the most unique offerings after Kyara from the same brand.

Iris 39 by Le Labo: Beautiful iris with violet leaf and synthetic civet. Feels commercial but nice. Kinda quenched my recent Iris thirst.

Last edited:

vavazzodu

Oud Beginner
Recent discoveries
Dead of Night Strangelove NYC: Oud, rose, casteroum. Smells like real indian oud is used in the composition. Expensive for a full bottle ($900/100ml)

Salome by Papillon: Beautiful animalic chypre. Natural smelling and unique composition has real hyrax and casteroum in the blend.

Anubis by Papillon: Incensy and ultra refined shamama’tul amber. Lasts a full day, very well rounded.

Hana no oto by Di Ser: Opens lightly soapy and lemony with an implication of “something serious” is hidden behind. Kodo style incensy oud makes it truly sophisticated. One of the most unique offerings after Kyara from the same brand.

Iris 39 by Le Labo: Beautiful iris with violet leaf and synthetic civet. Feels commercial but nice. Kinda quenched my recent Iris thirst.
Salome and Anubis are the best for me from the brand. Salome is the go scent for me as Auphorie mayura is valuted.

Kevinoud69

Oud Beginner
Découvertes récentes
Dead of Night Strangelove NYC : Oud, rose, casteroum. Des odeurs de vrai oud indien sont utilisées dans la composition. Cher pour une bouteille pleine (900 $/100 ml)

Salomé de Papillon : Beau chypre animal. Odeur naturelle et composition unique avec de vrais Hyrax et Casteroum dans le mélange.

Anubis de Papillon : Encens et ambre shamama'tul ultra raffiné. Dure une journée complète, très bien arrondi.

Hana no oto de Di Ser : S'ouvre légèrement savonneux et citronné avec une implication de « quelque chose de sérieux » qui se cache derrière. Le oud d'encens de style Kodo le rend vraiment sophistiqué. L'une des offres les plus uniques après Kyara de la même marque.

Iris 39 par Le Labo : Bel iris avec feuille de violette et civette synthétique. Se sent commercial mais agréable. Un peu étanché ma récente soif d'iris.
En effet, Deadofnight est l'un des meilleurs mélanges Oud et Rose que je connaisse. la tenue est exceptionnelle. Je vous informe que j'ai un flacon de 100ml que je peux décanter en flacon de 10ml à un prix attractif 👍. N'hésitez pas à me contacter... kevin

Ratatuj

Just Arrived
Hi. I am very glad to have come across such a very informative forum. After flipping through a few pages, I realized that I know absolutely nothing about perfumery. Previously, to buy a couple of bottles for my wife and myself for the season... I just waited for the discount season and bought at perfume sale designer brands familiar from TV commercials. I admit that my wife scolded me several times because she doesn't like sweet smells. Sweet perfumes just make her sick... so in search of something original, I came across this place. However, I will have to delve into the topic quite a bit to find something really affordable.

Last edited:

Ibn Abdillah

True Ouddict
I dont know brother I boycot Guerlain for what he said on black slaves calling them niggers who never really worked.
What about Yves Saint Laurent?
Ever heard about his book "La Vilaine Lulu" (the naugty Lulu) ? Full of disgusting satanic/pedofile comic stories.
There have also been people who have called for a ban, but the book is still being sold.

Some researchers indicate that this is a comic version of what really happened in one of his private villas in Morocco.
Yes, the shine goes off from all that glitter and glamour, after you know this kind of information.
And believe me, most (if not all) of the big names are involved in these kind of devilish practices, these are just some of the names.

I like to talk about positive things, but I felt compelled to make this addition to the previous responses.