thanks for that. I'm curious… You mentioned fatty acid in contact with water but I was under the impression that those are not volatile and so they would not be involved in whatever chemistry was happening in the condenser. Obviously there are fatty acids along with all kinds of non-volatile plant material in the boiler itself so maybe that's where you are referring to. Do I have this more or less correct?
Hmmm.. I always think of biological oils as a triglyceride composed of a fatty acid and glycerol. Maybe I need to check the terminology. I will check on this
 
Hmmm.. I always think of biological oils as a triglyceride composed of a fatty acid and glycerol. Maybe I need to check the terminology. I will check on this
essential oils have a different composition- mono-, di-, tri-, sesqui- terpenes and terpenoids, also other things like lactones and alcohols. i'm no chemist - I'm going to dig a little bit and come back with some details.
 
chat GPT's tl/dr summary:

"Terpenes & terpenoids, phenylpropanoids, aliphatic compounds, coumarins, lactones, and occasional sulfur/nitrogen derivatives."
 
thanks for that. I'm curious… You mentioned fatty acid in contact with water but I was under the impression that those are not volatile and so they would not be involved in whatever chemistry was happening in the condenser. Obviously there are fatty acids along with all kinds of non-volatile plant material in the boiler itself so maybe that's where you are referring to. Do I have this more or less correct?
You are correct, the triglycerides remain in the pot, should not be in the condenser with the essential oils., but will result in reactions within the pot.
Hydrolysis still occurs in the essential oil distillate, maybe breaks ester bonds to yield organic acids, possibly alcohols too. The longer the essential oil boundary is in contact with the water layer the greater the conversion, and by products generated impact the kinetics of the reactions.
Maybe this is the parameter Artisan control to obtain some conversion to alter aroma is a design sense, as this would alter composition and aroma profile. ??? Wondering
 
chat GPT's tl/dr summary:

"Terpenes & terpenoids, phenylpropanoids, aliphatic compounds, coumarins, lactones, and occasional sulfur/nitrogen derivatives."
Agree
Yet Terpenes, terpenoids, sesquiterpenes, etc. have C=C double bonds, plenty of spots for attack by the organic acids generated when ester bonds are attacked in the essential oil??? If they are stable then will it matter if the product is "sun dried" or heated gently with cap off? And would hv have any impact on the essential oil if the unsaturated bonds were not being attacked? I am asking, I do not know the answer.

There seems to be cautions concerning exposure, storage, decanting to a smaller bottle as you use up oil. You can educate me about such claims in the long run. Are all these cautions necessary? Why?
An interested distiller needs someone to run the analyses as oil is generated, then at various time intervals while detailing parameters. I suppose...
 
We shall have some interesting interactions when I visit....I am looking forward to picking your brain for all sorts of information
i wish my knowledge was a little deeper - I know a little bit about a bunch of things but I spent my career in middle and high school classrooms... 🙂
 
Finally released! Follow the thread below.

 
A brief overview of the materials used:

Sandalwood: As you know, I’ve been distilling Mysore for quite some time now. The grade used here is a blend of yellow and red meat. While it’s not the highest grade, this combination of grades imparts a unique freshness to the oil at the beginning, making it an excellent choice for this project.

View attachment 49769

Green Kynam: I had the option to choose between chips and powder, and I opted for the former because I’ll know exactly how much resinous wood I’ll be using for this project. Green CK is renowned for its mentholic, sweet, and balsamic aroma.

View attachment 49770

Sumatran Oud: If you recall Oud Qaysar, this is the same exact material being used for this co-distillation. These consist of final carvings and small chips from Aceh, known for its green, spicy, and woody profile, making it the most suitable material for this project.

View attachment 49771

Finally,

Rose Oil: It’s a green rose from Isfahan, Iran, and its opening is citrusy and sweet. It’s distilled in a SS pot and on gas. While the traditional method uses sandalwood as the base, I’m using rose oil because it’s challenging to distill rose in my current setup.

View attachment 49772
I'm absolutely fascinated by this discussion of the materials in the attar. It makes the attar much more interesting to me than a two or three sentence description. Thank you for doing this!!!
 
AHO was kind enough to add a precious sample of Oud Qaysar to one of my past orders, completely surprised me, and if you've smelled it, and know the scent of these other materials and AHO's distillation style, then you, much like myself will be hyped for this project! So excited to see what's going to come forth from this!

P.s. I'm already dreaming of blending this with some ruh khus .... I just know it's going to be perfect, given the vision clear from material selection!

This could be dubbed Al Khadra tul Gulabi, due to the method of distilling over rose oil, and what seems like a beautiful refreshing and deeply nuance green smelling attar we'll be getting outta this!
I revisited my sample of Oud Qaysar today. Either the oil has changed dramatically or my understanding has or both have matured, i'm not sure? However, what I'm currently smelling is nothing like the description I wrote about it last year! It's sweet, it's woody and slightly piercing. Really something quite stunning. I actually don't understand my first review on this anymore. I can clearly pick the clean Hindi and the Sumatran seperately.
 
I revisited my sample of Oud Qaysar today. Either the oil has changed dramatically or my understanding has or both have matured, i'm not sure? However, what I'm currently smelling is nothing like the description I wrote about it last year! It's sweet, it's woody and slightly piercing. Really something quite stunning. I actually don't understand my first review on this anymore. I can clearly pick the clean Hindi and the Sumatran seperately.
LOVE Hindi! Natural material change over time, unlike synthetics. Sometimes for the better, like sandalwood, somethings they expire, like many citruses. But I bet you already knew that!
 
LOVE Hindi! Natural material change over time, unlike synthetics. Sometimes for the better, like sandalwood, somethings they expire, like many citruses. But I bet you already knew that!
I do but I can't recall one that has been so pronounced in it's changes (for me). Quite remarkable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Back
Top