riviera274

Administrator and Hindi Lover
Staff member
I make review about that before but I will be happy to repeat again the Chinese oud oil are only in Hainan Guangdong and the high quality are sweet incense and some herbal like ASO Ceen & IO Sinensis and yes they have some animalic oil for less grade oils , the Yunnan 2003 what I own it I'm sure is fine Burmese oil and not Chinese at all that's my humble opinion...
I would love to get some of that Burmese oil;)

Alkhadra

"Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan
https://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=250073277

I was studying different vegetatives characteristics of agarwood species trying to find out something personnal when I discovered this Chinese subspecy proper to Yunnan area, so I share with you all guyz : the aquilaria yunnanensis.

Often confused with Aquilaria Sinensis, this subspecy is apart so may have different smell.

Maybe this can answer that sensitive question : is sinensis barn or not ?

Hope it will help oud comunity :Thumbsup:
I do recall reading about aquilaria yunnanensis. What did your research find? Possibly a hybrid species between sinensis and something else? Possibly malaccensis or crassna?

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
I do recall reading about aquilaria yunnanensis. What did your research find? Possibly a hybrid species between sinensis and something else? Possibly malaccensis or crassna?

Botanists said different.
Looking at picture still white wood.
But different from sinensis.
Mallacensis still different if you look botanists studies on this.

IMG_3417.JPG
I was busy sampling 10 different woods today :confused::confused:
Among them the double super Malaysian I got from Adam Hakimi (OudWorld on etsy) (see picture:thumbsup:)

Nice stuff but now I realize that I have to make a subitism heater. The Shoyeido ceramic is just contact heat, what I need is the radiating infrared heat to bake the sliver instead of pan frying:Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
Do you have any images of kyen wood or experienced burning any? Is it another word for incense grade wood?
According to respected distillers/vendors, Kyen is the resin formation which has reached the core/heartwood which is a rare feat and rarely a phenomemon seen with cultivated/organically harvested wood. If I am not wrong infection goes from periphery to core (outside in) but it takes few years to form in the periphery and a lot many years to reach core/heartwood. Since plantation wood is harvested early the oud does not appear in the centre so quickly. God knows it will eventually happen to all planted wood or only a few species or only a lucky few trees. So, this highly resinous corewood is Kyen and it has exquisite aroma. I have tested two such oils from diff vendors both have that piercing green mentholic aroma which is common in SE oils but....it also possesses a highly refined Hainan wood like rosey/orange peel note. Generally, and if I am not wrong, Oud oil is usually distilled from such semi-precious wild/plantation woods where resin is a few years old and not from highly resinous corewood as it fetches extremely high price is more suitable for burning. Afterall how much oil can be taken from it ? I am sure Senior Oud users and distillers will guide us further and better on the matters of Kyen......I take the vendors description very seriously. Oud is holy to me. And I like men with a clear soul and impenetrable conscience. Afterall the whole Oud affair rests on TRUST...:)...It would take a very stupid man to lie about things he holds close to his heart....AND I am not sure whether KYEN is a globally accepted word or wether its a term to establish its special identity, features and aroma. One thing I can surely tell you it is a unique signature aroma. My nose likes it...

Last edited:

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
Thanks @Nikhil S bhai so its a term for Oud producing heartwood. Today im wearing an unreleased Lao oil from IO this oil has some serious projection not nuclear but atomic. It has full crassna DNA and i would think its a Thai with a twist. I've had it on a few hours and i think i'll have to wait a few more for the dry down :Whistling:

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
Thanks @Nikhil S bhai so its a term for Oud producing heartwood. Today im wearing an unreleased Lao oil from IO this oil has some serious projection not nuclear but atomic. It has full crassna DNA and i would think its a Thai with a twist. I've had it on a few hours and i think i'll have to wait a few more for the dry down :Whistling:
Its resinated heartwood in Organic trees not in Wild ones (I am assuming from as per description). Sorry for the confusing long post. lol

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
No its ok just my online research didnt bring alot back when searching for kyen. I'm sure its a term that maybe is used only in Thailand or something

@Oudamberlove very nice peices how much was it per gram?
$18/gram, but I believe it was a special price because I purchased plenty of his Double Super. But for some reason Mr. Hakimi is not at etsy anymore. I knew that a portal to fine Malaysian wood wouldn't last for very long, I even stated something to that effect when I wrote a review at his etsy store. Given dwindling supplies, and eager demand, it's a no-brainer.