I still remember my geometry teacher. He was a coach and gym teacher as well. He would make mistakes quite a bit on the test questions (unsolvable problems due to missing things, angles when given that were imposssible). Math teachers likely all wanted to teach the more interesting/advanced math classes, no room for another teacher, and hey, coaches and sportsball are what parents crave!

Super nice guy though, no hard feelings, he was just helping out where he could, and he had a good humor about it.

I'm not sure I'm quite so pessimistic. I still ended up an engineer, despite not great primary schooling. Caring, inspiring learning and curiousity, and taking the time IMO matters more than being a PHD in 9th grade history or maths
I wouldn't say the data is pessimistic, it also isn't absolute and I am sure from that learning cycle, as with any, some don't follow the trend. Some kids are curious enough to figure things out themselves, but that isn't a reflection on the system.

Unfortunately the reality is we are having more and more under qualified teachers fillings spots that qualified teachers won't take due to the pay and working conditions.
 
Some kids are curious enough to figure things out themselves, but that isn't a reflection on the system.

Unfortunately the reality is we are having more and more under qualified teachers fillings spots that qualified teachers won't take due to the pay and working conditions.
Agreed to the first point. I hinted at it, but curiosity can be learned and instilled and I'm still of the opinion that teaching that is still of value, often higher than the course material. I had like brilliant 2x phds professors who didn't care much for teaching, mostly there for research, brilliant, but not good and imparting the info, and adjuncts who blew my mind with knowledge and appreciation for the material.

But you are right that it's most often a poorly paid job, that mostly relies on people who will willingly take lower pay. I just don't know that it means the cycle just spirals into next generation being less effective as a rule, vs external aspects like worse working conditions less funding, politics and poorly managed and hired districts
 
Last edited:
[Ouddict.com] Master at Work


Things get interesting next two ingredients added.
 
The Oudh oil
that much I was able to figure out on my own lol
You can't share enticing posts like that however and expect not to get a question or two from folks who like to learn 😉

the following meme seemed appropriate, and in all seriousness there is nothing wrong with a perfumer not wanting to make it too easy for people to imitate them.
1785346269009.webp
 
Last edited:
that much I was able to figure out on my own lol
You can't share enticing posts like that however and expect not to get a question or two from folks who like to learn 😉

the following meme seemed appropriate, and in all seriousness there is nothing wrong with a perfumer not wanting to make it too easy for people to imitate them.
View attachment 56013
And here I thought it was a tasty vindaloo paste 😉
 
Last edited:
that much I was able to figure out on my own lol
You can't share enticing posts like that however and expect not to get a question or two from folks who like to learn 😉

the following meme seemed appropriate, and in all seriousness there is nothing wrong with a perfumer not wanting to make it too easy for people to imitate them.
View attachment 56013
ah lol thank you for the understanding brother, but you know well that there are vendors who are not on this forum who copy my work as we speak.

What I am working on is in it's original form a solid fragrance, or soild perfume. A bridge between a bakhoor (Incense) and a proper solid perfume. It used to be worn inside clothes like the pocket or it could also be heated. What I am doing with it is creating the solid then grounding its to a paste then macerating it into an oil. It's value was more than the value of gold.
 
you know well that there are vendors who are not on this forum who copy my work as we speak.
I'm sure folks 'attempt', but, I think it's fairly clear that just knowing vague ingredients lists without %s, and with wide variation in naturals, the sources/types/etc. I can say 'oh yea, my blend contains some rose, shamama, oud, sandal, etc etc together, but that doesn't mean even a 'copycat' vendor will be able to reproduce my work in any reasonable fashion. There's certainly a line of over-divulging, but I've never seen anything even approaching that by anyone on this forum, so I'm not sure that risk tracks.

As comparison, consider https://ladanon.com/creative/formula/perfume/santal-33-type-formula - so, a company sells GCMS dervied perfumery formulas, but they divulge publically the ingredients list and 'bands' of ingredients (e.g Iso E super >10%, carrot seed oil 0.1-10%), which, sounds like a lot of information - but effectively useless, and doesn't affect their sales at all). Now clearly, nobody is expecting that specificity, and western perfumery differences aside, just an example to illustrate that even this level of divulging is not enough for anyone to 'copy' it.

All to say, I don't think mentioning a few things that are in a formulation really gives anyone any sort of advantage, but is of interest to hobbyists to live vicariously 😀. I suppose your biggest risk is people trying to copy the mechanism of it to use as their own selling point -- "Oh my stuff is done as A bridge between a bakhoor (Incense) and a proper solid perfume. Using traditional methods of creating the solid then grounding its to a paste then macerating it into an oil. It's value was more than the value of gold." type of thing, which is maybe what you meant and I misinterpreted the copycat's angles. Sorry if I misunderstood (btw, love the marketing of 'more than gold', when basically any artisan oud sold here is more than gold, and this will be then macerated into oil)

Anyway, super interesting stuff, I'm fascinated by historical methodologies and modernization of such (since the limited amount of historical formulations are impractical or not to modern tastes). Thanks for sharing!
 
Last edited:
ah lol thank you for the understanding brother, but you know well that there are vendors who are not on this forum who copy my work as we speak.

What I am working on is in it's original form a solid fragrance, or soild perfume. A bridge between a bakhoor (Incense) and a proper solid perfume. It used to be worn inside clothes like the pocket or it could also be heated. What I am doing with it is creating the solid then grounding its to a paste then macerating it into an oil. It's value was more than the value of gold.
I wonder what our price will be when adjusted for inflation😅
 
I suppose your biggest risk is people trying to copy the mechanism of it to use as their own selling point -- "Oh my stuff is done as A bridge between a bakhoor (Incense) and a proper solid perfume. Using traditional methods of creating the solid then grounding its to a paste then macerating it into an oil. It's value was more than the value of gold." type of thing, which is maybe what you meant and I misinterpreted the copycat's angles. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Anyway, super interesting stuff, I'm fascinated by historical methodologies and modernization of such (since the limited amount of historical formulations are impractical or not to modern tastes). Thanks for sharing!
There are a couple of reasons why many of the modern perfumes, or the mass market smell so similar. 1. The major material manufacturers can be counted in one hand and they supply pretty much everything 2. The GCMS/perfumer moving around between brands and utilising very similar approaches and formula.

Traditional Islamic perfumery is very different to modern perfumery in that it is method heavy and Ingredient light. We don't use many ingredients rather we take the many facets from one ingredient by applying different processing techniques to that method. For someone to figure out the ratios on 30 ingredients is much more difficult than say 3 ingredients.

I wonder what our price will be when adjusted for inflation😅
I think it's best leave inflation out of it 🤣
 
Back
Top