Thank you respected @Habz786! :Thumbsup: Well, I liked Kyara LTD2, just the opening was hmm... funky to me... not in a bad way... but neither in a delightful way. That being said, overly I did not find this oil as special as it’s claimed to be indeed. $1500 per 1ml... well, as you said, we all have own personal tastes. Nonetheless, it was just a first impression. I think things might change for me, who knows... we will see 🙂 I mean “we will smell”. 😀

Well, getting to know the names completely swiped away all the idea I could have about region correlation to oud notes profile.
I was quite convinced this might be a Hindi oil.
And if Hindi oil like Agar Aura Hindustan can smell so fresh and sunny... then... oh dear...
Well, I guess in some spare time I will start contacting vendors asking them what are the species, because regions seem not relevant to me any more.

Well, I still feel like a complete newbie. :Unsure:

Perhaps knowing it doesn’t mean that much to me, however without learning what I can expect from the particular oud it could be extremely difficult to make any future shopping choices. Finding a valid correlation might also be the key for me to better understanding the oud magic. Hmm...
 
it has been a guilty pleasure of mine watching the reviews of the mystery ouds, @Woodland Note has a excellent nose and fantastic way of reviewing, and being relatively new is untainted by marketing and other opinions. Looking forward to many more reviews :Geek:.
the mystery ouds are:
A -Mandalay Signature-LMK B -Royal Vietnam-FeelOud C -Virgin Sumatra Island-FeelOud
D -Kyara Ltd2-EO E -Hindustan 1-AA G -Green Papua-EO

Thanks for the fun experiment, interesting reading the reviews.

I liked the image for Mandalay Signature.
 
I was quite convinced this might be a Hindi oil.
And if Hindi oil like Agar Aura Hindustan can smell so fresh and sunny... then... oh dear...
Well, I guess in some spare time I will start contacting vendors asking them what are the species, because regions seem not relevant to me any more.

Well, I still feel like a complete newbie. :Unsure:

I don't think it's a matter of species so much as the grade vs. distillation technique he used. You can read the descriptions if it means anything, if they suggest a barny profile there might be a nice prolonged (traditional Hindi).
 
I don't think it's a matter of species so much as the grade vs. distillation technique he used. You can read the descriptions if it means anything, if they suggest a barny profile there might be a nice prolonged (traditional Hindi).

That is what I’m wondering about too. Also soaking vs no soaking, how this all is influencing the notes.




Today guys I’m sniffing camphor and labdanum (rockrose resin).

I purchased labdanum cause I’ve been reading it has quite interesting notes and perfume fixative properties. I’m a bit surprised about its amber accord. (please do not confuse with ambergris) I have here somewhere a bit of a tincture of crushed Baltic amber, I made it 2 years ago, and indeed I smell very distinctive similarities. In labdanum it’s just more sweet and floral.
If anyone of you dear ouddicts have ever smelled labdanum resin, please let me know how you would describe its scent?

And natural camphor is kind of cool and nice too, if it’s just a little. In a more dense concentration of the scent it’s overwhelming and not so nice to me. I’ve been referring to camphorous accord when reviewing some ouds without ever smelling the real thing. So, I purchased a bit to check it out, and now I did.

I also got 50gram of frankincense with my order, but I’m disappointed with it. Poor quality compared to some of the frankincense I purchased in the past.


Either way, oud 4 ever! Nothing beats oud for me. Except maybe for the scent of forest, especially after rain.
When I went this autumn to the forest close by after a few days of intense raining... oh dear... I wish there was a way to capture that!
 
Top