Since it's open to discussions, as for the categories, my personally suggestions would of two.

Either have just the one category, recommendation of the month (maybe a reasonable restriction of say recent releases) irrelevant of it's origin (either wild or plantation).

Or the latter, to accommodate plantation oils and give it a chance to be in the list, which without otherwise will struggle to get a mention is have ones 'Oud of the Month' and 'Oud of the Month in terms of Value', again keeping in mind recent releases and without any origin restrictions. I think that will give a better outlook in people's approach in buying or sampling an oil, both for the buyer with high and low budget. What do you guys think?
 
I think your original categories of wild and organic are fine. Hastakshar is an anomaly, in more ways than one, the vendor states that it is not "so-called organic" but doesn't specifically say wild but rather "wild homegrown". I say your categories are fine because with the greater majority of oils they are specified as wild or organic/cultivated. Since we have two to nominate and this oil blurs the lines of wild and organic/cultivated, in more ways than one; for sake of contest we could simply put it as organic/other as to not knockoff my wild candidate. Thoughts?

The original categories will stand, but I wanted clarification from Hedycent as to his opinion on the matter. Vendors who use inoculated wood, chemicals etc are not even considered which leaves the original categories from the ones I have listed. Regarding the debated of wild vs plantation, we accept the definition of the particular vendor to keep things simple. Both categories are needed to give Organic (Plantation) Oud a chance.
 
The original categories will stand, but I wanted clarification from Hedycent as to his opinion on the matter. Vendors who use inoculated wood, chemicals etc are not even considered which leaves the original categories from the ones I have listed. Regarding the debated of wild vs plantation, we accept the definition of the particular vendor to keep things simple. Both categories are needed to give Organic (Plantation) Oud a chance.
Hey all, sorry for the delay in response. The only real problem I see with wild vs organic is that organic(which has a few meanings internationally) only represents a small proportion of the plantation/ cultivated trees.
A single tree can be cultivated as can a whole plantation so I think wild vs cultivated is the most illuminating title.
The status of Zak's wonderful homegrown trees are a whole separate issue.
My most recent wild is Adam AK48 😎
 
Not realized I created a little confusion here with my coined term 'Wild Homegrown'

This was purely for my own purpose to explain to larger audience that homegrown is not plantation category generally termed as 'Organic'

As in future I will have plantation Oud category as well in my offerings.

This means categorically 'Agarwood Assam' will have three full featured category.

- WILD
- HOMEGROWN
- PLANTATION (ORGANIC)

We do not indulge or practice in promoting and selling.

*IRON NAILED TREES

*INOCULATION

*HANDWOUNDS
 
I think that wild and cultivated are the most useful categories for this poll. If we try to break it down to account for all the different forms of human intervention, there will be too many categories. And furthermore I doubt we could confidently categorize because such info might not be known for all oils. Also, this poll is "for fun," so maybe breaking down too precisely would defeat the fun part?
 
Last edited:
My nominees are:

Wild: QANDAHAAR. Al-Shareef. What I'm going to call a "stealth" barn Hindi. I'm a barnmaniac so I am usually frustrated by Hindis lacking a punchy barn. But this oil completely cancelled out my categories. It's got a robust swirl of scorched spices in the beginning, smells so red-hot, I love it, but it's cooled with menthol and eucalyptus. Then something like the barn creeps in. It is "barn" as such? I don't know, but it's just so satisfying and it pushes all the barn buttons without being fecal, dairy, or the usual words we use. Then the richest rose appears, like concentrated rose jam, blending with the oil in beautiful harmony. One could mistake it for a blend, so gorgeous.

Cultivated: FEEL-OUD VIETNAM BIO KYARA. Feel-Oud. This was released in autumn 2016. Super vaporous, with some medicinal elements, pushes my brain's happy-oud button. It was also quite a bargain.
 
My nominees are:

Wild: QANDAHAAR. Al-Shareef. What I'm going to call a "stealth" barn Hindi. I'm a barnmaniac so I am usually frustrated by Hindis lacking a punchy barn. But this oil completely cancelled out my categories. It's got a robust swirl of scorched spices in the beginning, smells so red-hot, I love it, but it's cooled with menthol and eucalyptus. Then something like the barn creeps in. It is "barn" as such? I don't know, but it's just so satisfying and it pushes all the barn buttons without being fecal, dairy, or the usual words we use. Then the richest rose appears, like concentrated rose jam, blending with the oil in beautiful harmony. One could mistake it for a blend, so gorgeous.

Cultivated: FEEL-OUD VIETNAM BIO KYARA. Feel-Oud. This was released in autumn 2016. Super vaporous, with some medicinal elements, pushes my brain's happy-oud button. It was also quite a bargain.


Great write up 😎
 
My nominees are:

Wild: QANDAHAAR. Al-Shareef. What I'm going to call a "stealth" barn Hindi. I'm a barnmaniac so I am usually frustrated by Hindis lacking a punchy barn. But this oil completely cancelled out my categories. It's got a robust swirl of scorched spices in the beginning, smells so red-hot, I love it, but it's cooled with menthol and eucalyptus. Then something like the barn creeps in. It is "barn" as such? I don't know, but it's just so satisfying and it pushes all the barn buttons without being fecal, dairy, or the usual words we use. Then the richest rose appears, like concentrated rose jam, blending with the oil in beautiful harmony. One could mistake it for a blend, so gorgeous.

Cultivated: FEEL-OUD VIETNAM BIO KYARA. Feel-Oud. This was released in autumn 2016. Super vaporous, with some medicinal elements, pushes my brain's happy-oud button. It was also quite a bargain.

Yeaaaah @jensz ! 😎
 
Come on Farid... we're waiting for your recommendations!

You know my label 😎, so I'm going to make it Farid = price/quality ratio

Top/bargain wild : metei From Zakos

Top/bargain cultivated : Hind From Jawedos.

I hope that this classification type will hurt nobody but if some ouds are for elit (and it's fair to me sincerely), some other could be reachable for all oud lovers.

If you permit me, my recommandations would be that type because there is us members, but I'm sure lot of oud lovers/curious could watch this forum as guests and this is for them too. 😉

PS : the ones I was referring to are anonymous people from all over the world who are too shy to register because they feel they cannot have access to oud like I was with basenotes following oud chat without registration...
 
Last edited:
You know my label 😎, so I'm going to make it Farid = price/quality ratio

Top/bargain wild : metei From Zakos

Top/bargain cultivated : Hind From Jawedos.

I hope that this classification type will hurt nobody but if some ouds are for elit (and it's fair to me sincerely), some other could be reachable for all oud lovers.

If you permit me, my recommandations would be that type because there is us members, but I'm sure lot of oud lovers/curious could watch this forum as guests and this is for them too. 😉

PS : the ones I was referring to are anonymous people from all over the world who are too shy to register because they feel they cannot have access to oud like I was with basenotes following oud chat without registration...

Ok thanks! The second vendor is Al Shareef I take it? And the first?
 
Back
Top