Slow heat philipino wood IO
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos


Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
 
wow
 
Into the Rose Ocean: Today visited my friend's Rose field, and saw the blooms being picked. Later, sent to the market. This is Desi Gulab.
This fragrance would kill me. Unending, truly delicate and divine.
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos


Distillation is a must:Cry::Cry::Cry:. Jasmine is a little less than these blooms.
 
I have found most of my sandalwood blocks to have relatively little fragrance until chips are carved off, at which point the aroma is very strong. I wonder sometimes hearing people write about how intensely fragrant their sandalwood blocks are... It does not match my experience of sandalwood. It may just be that the blocks I have a very old and stuff that is freshly cut or recently removed from a large container will have an intense smell for a period of time. I’ve been told it’s pretty typical for sandal wood blocks not to have a strong smell in that the smell can be refreshed by rinsing them underwater. This I was told by David Oller (the guy who represented baieido in the US). I find the smell to be pretty evident in granulated sandalwood but you can’t really smell it from a distance. this is even true for large my yamada Matsu log cross sections - these are like 7” diameter SX grade slabs. May be it is that I am just not very sensitive to this aroma. Or maybe I still have yet to smell the really good stuff ?
 
Last edited:
Wood emits fragrance, IF it is of good quality. In the same way no need to thrust one's nose into the wrist IF oil is of good quality. Simple.

If wood does not emit scent, and always needs a scalpel to give multiple incisions to say hurray, scent is there, carving beads, or rosary (tasbeeh) has no rationale. Pundits, Monks, saints wear beads and have fragrant tasbeeh. BUT THE WOOD MUST BE OF HIGH QUALITY. Otherwise, puncturing the wood is necessary to dig out some scent. And if wood is C grade, then even shaving it won't do, and then burning will be declared the yardstick. So, one must get excellent wood and enjoy. I can recommend IO's Mysore Santal (granules). I have 80 grams. The second one I haven't experienced yet, but certain aspects clearly show the wood doesn't need to whet and hone blade to have sandal scent, that is from Ouddict. I think one or two logs will be available even now. If one wants to experience much fragrant wood, one has to buy. If that is not, I will buy at double price.

The pic below is of Ceylon (sinking grade) wood. Very fragrant. Its first whiff tells it is Ceylon. No need to burn. But still I consider it less fragrant.
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos


The picture below is the one that needs cuts or to be burnt to get its aroma.
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos


And the picture below, put these logs on the table, and all is done. This is A class Mysore Sandal. Such Sandalwood is used for beads. If beads are to be shaved and scratched and rinsed for scent, then what would be the purpose of beads other than listening to clattering sound of beads. And sound is scientifically not scented at all.
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos


Enjoy pics.
 
Last edited:
Wood emits fragrance, IF it is of good quality. In the same way no need to thrust one's nose into the wrist IF oil is of good quality. Simple.

How the wood is stored and the climate (humid or not) has much to do with smelling wood at room temperature. Otherwise all sinking grade wood should smell yet some do some don't ...

If wood does not emit scent, and always needs a scalpel to give multiple incisions to say hurray, scent is there, carving beads, or rosary (tasbeeh) has no rationale. Pundits, Monks, saints wear beads and have fragrant tasbeeh.



Majority of Masaabih(plural for Tasbih, prayer beads) are made of none fragrant material such as amber, hardwoods, etc, the purpose of all prayer beads isnt the smell, even when made from fragrant material, and when it is intended for smell, those are usually crafted for non monks, saints or pundits lol...

And the picture below, put these logs on the table, and all is done. This is A class Mysore Sandal. Such Sandalwood is used for beads. If beads are to be shaved and scratched and rinsed for scent, then what would be the purpose of beads other than listening to clattering sound of beads. And sound is scientifically not scented at all.
View attachment 9480

Enjoy pics.

The warmth, moisture, and oils of the fingers rubbing on the beads as they are passed through the fingers is what brings forth the scent from the woods, if a bead or wood is sealed even that can't bring forth the smell. Sign of quality is not wood smelling at room temperature, that could maybe called a feature. However many high quality woods may not smell at room temperature, due to many factors, storage, humidity, temperature, age etc smell is a result of oils rising from the surface from the wood pours or pockets where they are trapped , oils are stored inside wood pours and those are not laying on the surface. Even if wood is saturated in oil, still will require some warmth and moisture for the smell to be as projecting as you describe. Keeping in mind the surface will weather very quickly and there won't be abundance of oil flowing to have this continuous fragrance.

It can be argued that if a wood is smelling as loud at room temperature as you describe then someone might have handled those woods with oily hands.

Hopefully the water isn't tap water, will leave a nice chlorine residue on your woods.
 
How the wood is stored and the climate (humid or not) has much to do with smelling wood at room temperature. Otherwise all sinking grade wood should smell yet some do some don't ...
Thanks, respected Al Shareef Oudh. No doubt it is.

And thank goodness, at least here the word 'vintage' is not present.

So far as sinking and non sinking sandalwood goes, some well experienced persons don't pay attention to it.

And it is obvious as well C class wood but stored well won't ever smell A class. So, quality wood is quality wood, and C grade is C grade.

Thank goodness, I consume oils and wood on a regular basis as I am of the view that aging oil is not necessarily a positive result giving phenomenon. And wood is to be burnt, so I never waste time by keeping them for years.
Majority of Masaabih(plural for Tasbih, prayer beads) are made of none fragrant material such as amber, hardwoods, etc, the purpose of all prayer beads isnt the smell, even when made from fragrant material, and when it is intended for smell, those are usually crafted for non monks, saints or pundits lol...
:Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:
Exactly. And unfortunately I had been a collector of rosaries, and I had learnt that the rosary made of walnut tree, white pearls, rosewood, aqeeq pathar, etc do not emit smell. :Roflmao:

In fact, I had in my mind the Hindus' love for Sandal, and their wearing a kind of maalaa or braclet. I think that is not made of 'neem' as well.:Roflmao:. So far as the tasbeeh goes, its purpose is not scent, but sandalwood tasbeeh has some association with fragrance. Otherwise, fingers are there to count 33, 33, 34.😛

if a bead or wood is sealed even that can't bring forth the smell.
I think even great Al Rubaa'ee Oudh Oil won't be able to bring forth smell if even capped loosely. Of course, if something is sealed, there won't be smell in the air.

However many high quality woods may not smell at room temperature, due to many factors,
May you live long! Well said, but it shouldn't lead to the conclusion that wood is destined to be dead unless wounded badly or softly😛. Next, probabilities are unending.

It can be argued that if a wood is smelling as loud at room temperature as you describe then someone might have handled those woods with oily hands.
Respected Al Shareef Oudh, you are good at language, and know very well about the delicacies of language. When it is said the wood is fragrant, or what a fragrance the wood exudes doesn't mean the resident of the district have gathered to sniff scent bomb blast:Roflmao:, but to show the quality. If it is not so, then all descriptions of oils and wood by all vendors are meaningless.

I would request to evaluate the pieces of wood posted above.
1.Ceylon, 2. Austrslian, 3. Mysore

Thanks

Again posting Mysore in this plastic bag:
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
 
Last edited:
It can be argued that if a wood is smelling as loud at room temperature as you describe then someone might have handled those woods with oily hands.
It was in my mind, so I washed them in water.
Second, its being fragrant at room temperature is very simple to understand. Room temperature doesn't mean coal temperature. And fragrant doesn't mean Sandal Bomb, and it does not mean I have to have a knife in my hand all time to get scent out of sandal belly:Roflmao:.

Hopefully the water isn't tap water, will leave a nice chlorine residue on your woods.
Sorry, I couldn't understand your point:Cry:.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top