Thanks @Andrew Salkin !

You and I have had this discussion many times - I use a 19x25mm mica plate for sizing reference on the below photos. Note that I’ve made my own heater and the heating element is the same size as these mica plates which is convenient.
I do like to split the woods I will be heating into small slivers to ensure even and consistent heat penetration into my material as well as even surface area for oil and resin to secrete and provide lovely scent.
Each heating session will last 30-60min depending on how attentive I am and will need to increase the heat slowly over time to squeeze all that the slivers have to offer.
It is important to note that this method I use with ultra high grade wood - it is a conservative approach to not waste the raw materials and to maximize enjoyment from smaller qtys.
This being said, I would always recommend splitting or cutting your wood to optimize heating for your personal preferences and equipment being used.

[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
 
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos

Cutting fragrant woods into small Koh-do chips
figuring where to cut, carving out white parts, carefully processing it, the whole cutting process requires focus and patient.
I find this process to be a very enjoyable, meditative experience. I'm thinking about getting proper tools for cutting woods but this knife works pretty well.
 
View attachment 13984
Cutting fragrant woods into small Koh-do chips
figuring where to cut, carving out white parts, carefully processing it, the whole cutting process requires focus and patient.
I find this process to be a very enjoyable, meditative experience. I'm thinking about getting proper tools for cutting woods but this knife works pretty well.
I am using a fixed blade Stanley knife.....it is the holding of the wood while I cut is my issue....I do treasure my fingers as much as my Oudh wood.....:Geek:
 
Back
Top