JohnH

True Ouddict
It's the first time I've tried Burmese wood. I have a subitism type burner, use basic charcoal and also do Japanese style with rice ash etc. for sussing out the subtleties of woods and have the aromatic vaporizer set from Mermade Magickal Arts for this too.

hedycent

True Ouddict
When buying high grade chips , do you expect or think it's ok to find some of the wood has been burned at one end?
I know it's from testing but surly the burnt part could be cut off before it gets weighed and sold?

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
When buying high grade chips , do you expect or think it's ok to find some of the wood has been burned at one end?
I know it's from testing but surly the burnt part could be cut off before it gets weighed and sold?

Burning?? Like in the photos I upload now? I was so happy for those because I thought the blackness is because they are so full of resin in the ends haha but it looks like burned wood... should I remove it before heating?
Thanks for letting me know

Attachments

• 2017-01-11 00.46.05.jpg
    2017-01-11 00.46.05.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 393

hasans1412

Resident Artisan
@hedycent In my opinion that's just amateur vending. Pieces like that burned edges if included free is fine. Or the only exception being its truly rare and high quality with the buyer asking for it at the same time. Mistakenly included once can of course be overlooked I guess with some compensation maybe. That's just my take on it.

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
I agree i have come across chips with the ends burnt and it really annoys me! I wouldn't say its common practice but those sorts of pieces should not be sold or the ends should be cut off at the least. @Abasfrag the picture isn't very clear but from your description of it looking like resin (which can be the case sometimes with very heavily resinated woods) i would guess it has had the lighter to it.

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
@Habz786... unfortunately I'm quite sure that's the case now that I inspected it more. I could even write with it on a white paper... and i could easily scratch from the black part with my nail.. well I've learned something new at least.

Oud_learner

I bought some Hainese woods from a shop in Shanghai last year. Ignorant back then, I mistaken the black charred part in the wood as resin. Later I was told by Ensar it was a charred mark caused by lighter and it is a common practice to check for how resinous the wood is.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 314

hedycent

True Ouddict
Thanks all, I was wondering if I was the only one finding this issue to be bad practice on the part of the vendor.
On one hand I worry if the vendor(s) are actually checking the wood. If not how can they say certain woods are certain grades if they are not looking closely. I have found burning mainly on large chips, say 5 or 6 grams. But I did get some very high end chips, small 0.2g pieces. On that size a burn test is resulting in at best a post heated chip . Not what I paid $25 a gram for

Oud_learner

Thanks all, I was wondering if I was the only one finding this issue to be bad practice on the part of the vendor.
On one hand I worry if the vendor(s) are actually checking the wood. If not how can they say certain woods are certain grades if they are not looking closely. I have found burning mainly on large chips, say 5 or 6 grams. But I did get some very high end chips, small 0.2g pieces. On that size a burn test is resulting in at best a post heated chip . Not what I paid $25 a gram for

To be fair, it may not be the vendors who are burning the wood but rather inconsiderate customers who are doing it. Anyway, the vendor can always shave a small bit from the wood to heat it for quality appraisal instead of burning the wood directly.

I bought some Hainese woods from a shop in Shanghai last year. Ignorant back then, I mistaken the black charred part in the wood as resin. Later I was told by Ensar it was a charred mark caused by lighter and it is a common practice to check for how resinous the wood is.

from my humble opinion this piece are very fine quality...