Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Thanks for the tip!...Also I know it isn't obvious from my lack of an avatar but I'm not a guy. I just joined yesterday but haven't put up a picture yet.:oops:

That’s ok... no worries about an avatar. Just look at @Habz786’s self portrait avatar. He looks worse in real life. :Roflmao:

See?

0BAD152D-AE13-411D-8071-9CB385A60C00.jpeg

Chinwezon

Oud Beginner
I have a traditional attar to review and that is of Nag Champa attar from White Sage Landing. It smells so beautiful. Floral and fruity are the notes that I gathered from this. This was my first order from them and although this attar was beautiful. I'd ordered the last bit that they had (only 1.5ml left) but luckily enough I will be getting some attars from White Lotus soon and if this attar is any indication of the beauty that awaits me, then I can't wait until I receive what the Rose and Saffron Magmua attars from White Lotus. When John Steele returns I will order more from his shop as well. It appears that he is on vacation until the 4th of December so I will be patiently waiting. :)

Rai Munir

Musk Man
I have a traditional attar to review and that is of Nag Champa attar from White Sage Landing. It smells so beautiful. Floral and fruity are the notes that I gathered from this. This was my first order from them and although this attar was beautiful. I'd ordered the last bit that they had (only 1.5ml left) but luckily enough I will be getting some attars from White Lotus soon and if this attar is any indication of the beauty that awaits me, then I can't wait until I receive what the Rose and Saffron Magmua attars from White Lotus. When John Steele returns I will order more from his shop as well. It appears that he is on vacation until the 4th of December so I will be patiently waiting. :)
:Thumbsup:
A combination of Sandal and Plumeria (Frangipani) is Nag Champa. The latter one adds musky notes in blend. And Sandal is ever 'alchemist' that turns everything to gold blend. Majmua itr has its specific spell. If you have taste for itr/ Indian itr (which is obvious enough), include Shamama and Shama tul Amber in your list.
Well, if possible, try Saffron alone first. Its aroma is not that easy to assimilate, not peripheral notes, but its nucleus. Stunning it is!

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
:Thumbsup:
A combination of Sandal and Plumeria (Frangipani) is Nag Champa. The latter one adds musky notes in blend. And Sandal is ever 'alchemist' that turns everything to gold blend. Majmua itr has its specific spell. If you have taste for itr/ Indian itr (which is obvious enough), include Shamama and Shama tul Amber in your list.
Well, if possible, try Saffron alone first. Its aroma is not that easy to assimilate, not peripheral notes, but its nucleus. Stunning it is!
Nagachampa is a champaca variant. Yellow flowers shaped like a cobra/naga. Nagachampa incense seem to be quite popular globally.

Bryan-I

True Ouddict
Hello everyone,
I was looking for a good quality Shamama Attar too and I've found this:
https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Shamama-Attar-A-Beautiful-Aroma-from-the-Past-9666.html
I wrote to them last week to know where to buy their products but they only sell in bulk, over 1kg.

www.mlramnarain.com
Contact
Attar Mohammed Ayub & Co
mohd ayub is the contact person at [email protected]
They sell smaller amounts and I have heard their shamama attar is very nice.

Feder Unix

Oud Beginner
Shamama attars contain many ingredients... various spices, herbs, florals, henna, camphor, musk, etc. in a sandalwood base.

Unfortunately the attar houses in Kannauj are no longer using sandalwood oil for price reasons, the oil has reached unafordable prices for the average indian and the indian government has restricted the export of sandalwood oil since 2017 [1]. This has essentially destroyed the market of traditional attars (if they were still produced in the last decade). Currently attar houses such as M. L. Ramnarain Perfumers are currently using DEP or IPM as carrier for the attar distillation.

After doing some deep research, talking with Attar distillery houses: I believe that the only natural and traditional Indian Attars currently available on the market are Ruh Khus and eventually Ruh Gulab, still if they are not adulterated, everything that was distilled into Sandalwood oil is no longer produced and if someone is selling this, they are selling:
  1. Not a traditional Kannauj Attar
  2. A Mukhallat (blend of perfume oils) and not an Attar
  3. They are selling heavily adulterated or totally synthetic product, essentially they are lying.
  4. The attar is genuine but it was made on custom order by an attar house in Kannauj, this is possible as long as you order 5l of attar, since the receiver flask from the distillation setup is 5l in capacity. This possibility is extremely rare, and only very reputable wholesaler/reseller might be able to request a custom order based on sandalwood oil to an attar house.
  5. The Attar is genuine but it's coming from a very old reserve that was produced decades ago, when the price of sandalwood oil was affordable to the Indian middle class. (That is the least likely possibility and would make the attar extremely expensive)
[1] https://www.globaltradealert.org/state-act/27667/india-exports-of-sandalwood-oil-restricted

Last edited:

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Unfortunately the attar houses in Kannauj are no longer using sandalwood oil for price reasons, the oil has reached unafordable prices for the average indian and the indian government has restricted the export of sandalwood oil since 2017 [1]. This has essentially destroyed the market of traditional attars (if they were still produced in the last decade). Currently attar houses such as M. L. Ramnarain Perfumers are currently using DEP or IPM as carrier for the attar distillation.

After doing some deep research, talking with Attar distillery houses: I believe that the only natural and traditional Indian Attars currently available on the market are Ruh Khus and eventually Ruh Gulab, still if they are not adulterated, everything that was distilled into Sandalwood oil is no longer produced and if someone is selling this, they are selling:
  1. Not a traditional Kannauj Attar
  2. A Mukhallat (blend of perfume oils) and not an Attar
  3. They are selling heavily adulterated or totally synthetic product, essentially they are lying.
  4. The attar is genuine but it was made on custom order by an attar house in Kannauj, this is possible as long as you order 5l of attar, since the receiver flask from the distillation setup is 5l in capacity. This possibility is extremely rare, and only very reputable wholesaler/reseller might be able to request a custom order based on sandalwood oil to an attar house.
  5. The Attar is genuine but it's coming from a very old reserve that was produced decades ago, when the price of sandalwood oil was affordable to the Indian middle class. (That is the least likely possibility and would make the attar extremely expensive)
[1] https://www.globaltradealert.org/state-act/27667/india-exports-of-sandalwood-oil-restricted

Thanks a lot for this very sad but very true information ...

Actually I has been told that all which comes from Kannuj is fake and that the word Kannuj is used just for the prestige, just like Karnataka for sandalwood ...

Maz oud

Oud Beginner
With respect to attars, do any blends hydro diffused with oud as base instead of sandalwood or for that matter any other carrier oil like coconut, olive, etc. be called as attar? Or can it be called mukhallats? Please can anyone help...