Greetings to all! First time posting here.

I've recently acquired some Himalayan Musk grains, and I want to macerate them in something other than Oud and Sandalwood.
I've put some in Madagascar Vetiver at 25%, will have to give that one a few months or years.
What else can one use? Tobacco? Vanilla? Champa?

Please do share if you've tried any weird macerations, and how they've turned out!
Maybe try macerating musk in hydro distilled Jasmine Sambac oil. I am planning to do that in a few weeks.

Also planning to prepare a musk maceration with a good quality Sandali Mitti that I acquired few weeks back, taking inspiration from Ensar's Musk Mitti.

And finally I am planning to put musk grains in some blends in my collection. Just to make them little more exciting.
 
Maybe try macerating musk in hydro distilled Jasmine Sambac oil. I am planning to do that in a few weeks.

Also planning to prepare a musk maceration with a good quality Sandali Mitti that I acquired few weeks back, taking inspiration from Ensar's Musk Mitti.

And finally I am planning to put musk grains in some blends in my collection. Just to make them little more exciting.
Yes, yes, yes to mitti and musk. It’s a wormhole in itself when you start taking into account the characteristics of different mitti attars and musks and what they can do, to each other and to everything they touch.
 
Have since tried these macerations of Musk -

Indian Tuberose (Rajanigandha) is absolutely amazing with Siberian
Indian Vetiver with Mongolian
Madagascar Vetiver with Kashmiri
Jasmine Grandiflorum
Tibetan and Aged Kabuli Rose (my all time favourite)
Musk in Saffron
Musk Saffron co-tincture (amazing)
Cannabis

Musk is a rabbit hole once you fall into it! Impossible to leave.
 
Have since tried these macerations of Musk -

Indian Tuberose (Rajanigandha) is absolutely amazing with Siberian
Indian Vetiver with Mongolian
Madagascar Vetiver with Kashmiri
Jasmine Grandiflorum
Tibetan and Aged Kabuli Rose (my all time favourite)
Musk in Saffron
Musk Saffron co-tincture (amazing)
Cannabis

Musk is a rabbit hole once you fall into it! Impossible to leave.
Musk in Cannabis oil sounds very Interesting. I think I'll give that a try if could find a good Cannabis oil.
 
I think the most striking infusion I have smelled was in patchouli oil. That seems like a match made in heaven if you start with the right patchouli. obviously the musk is getting a lot of competition from the patchouli but the accord they form is very distinctive and it kind of elevate certain aspects of the musk instead of suppressing it like sandalwood
 
I think the most striking infusion I have smelled was in patchouli oil. That seems like a match made in heaven if you start with the right patchouli. obviously the musk is getting a lot of competition from the patchouli but the accord they form is very distinctive and it kind of elevate certain aspects of the musk instead of suppressing it like sandalwood
I did this about three or more months ago, approx 10% dried Kyrg musk , powdered and put in Java light patchouli with very sweet, slightly floral, cocoa profile.
Barely smells like musk even at 10%. Maybe a little heat is needed. I didnt heat it because i feared that the delicate notes of the patchouli might get corrupted or weakened.
 
I did this about three or more months ago, approx 10% dried Kyrg musk , powdered and put in Java light patchouli with very sweet, slightly floral, cocoa profile.
Barely smells like musk even at 10%. Maybe a little heat is needed. I didnt heat it because i feared that the delicate notes of the patchouli might get corrupted or weakened.
The one I smelled was made by @Goodness Nose - I know he used a very fine old patchouli and the result is a very balanced musk and patchouli accord. He may have some tips on how to go about it because it was an amazing extract. I think he went way above 10% - i have 30% in my head but I could be wrong
 
Last edited:
None of my patchouli musk macerations smell lie, musk per se. They just smell like the best patchouli in the world 😉. Actually the one (patchouli cola) with the least amount is the most improved.
 
On a side note my rose/ musk started taking on color this afternoon and wowee is the projection cloud insane. Fruity, carnal. Like dried saliva and Juicy Fruit chewing gum. I plan on shaking it for a few more days and packing it away to mature so that I can’t keep doing swipes “just to check.”
 
Hojari frankincense EO + Kyrgyzstan musk
Let’s see how it goes, I’ll check it in two months it should change by then.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] What all can one macerate musk in?
    IMG_2474.webp
    35 KB · Views: 0
What should I expect at 5% never macerated musk in frankincense before
Smelling my wrist now. I used a Somali here. This batch is probably close to 10% and it’s taken on a lot of color. For me Somali frankincense is sweeter and the musk emphasizes that, but i still wouldn’t call this sweet. It smells old, ancient too. It kind of reminds me a little of Maydi/Frereana in a way. That kind of ancient desert monastery full of books and scrolls. A tiny bit of licorice and a very faint, very subtle smoke.

I’m really curious what you get with hojari. It’s such an austere smell that I wonder how much sweetening effect the musk will have. Overall mine is softer, rounder with more body. It’s a more full smell too, lots more accessory notes. Balsamic for sure and very perfumey. I feel like the projection is way up as well. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! I want to try a fine hojari myself and an Omani black frankincense. Keep us posted please!
 
Currently macerating Siberian musk in jasmine absolute
What I did was pour off a previous rose-musk maceration to use in an attar, and tried leaving as much musk as I could in the bottle, then poured in the sambac.
It already changed substantially, there was a tiny bit of rose in it that was saturated with musk, so it worked as kind of a catalyst to jump start the whole process. The musk content is approximately 5%.
 
Currently macerating Siberian musk in jasmine absolute
What I did was pour off a previous rose-musk maceration to use in an attar, and tried leaving as much musk as I could in the bottle, then poured in the sambac.
It already changed substantially, there was a tiny bit of rose in it that was saturated with musk, so it worked as kind of a catalyst to jump start the whole process. The musk content is approximately 5%.
🤩
 
In fair warning my Musk and Jasmine extract experiment did not yield great results; almost remind me of a dense dark tarty apple-like essence. Its very difficult to work with, and have only been able to leverage very tiny amounts of it in my blends. Hoping it turns out better for you.
 
In fair warning my Musk and Jasmine extract experiment did not yield great results; almost remind me of a dense dark tarty apple-like essence. Its very difficult to work with, and have only been able to leverage very tiny amounts of it in my blends. Hoping it turns out better for you.
So far it's become very dark with some bubbly nuances, I practically filled the bottle with musk and then added jasmine in equal proportion to make it into a kind of paste, then added sandal and oud to round it off.
It's good to be honest, but I'll probably boost the sandal and jasmine both and then blend around it.
 
Top