Finally, if anyone knows of anywhere better to buy Arab-style perfumes/attars/oils in the UK or continental Europe, please let me know!
Check out the resident artisans/vendors here, a lot of them are UK/Europe based.
There's also a perfumer not listed here called mellifluence who makes phenomenal attars, but you'll have to message him via Instagram, WhatsApp or email
 
Hi again, all - I took a trip to the ASQ store on Oxford Street in London today, and I thought I’d give an update having tried a few other products.

Kalakasi Oud 150 - they didn’t have any of the 80-year version, but they let me try the fabled older version. What I was given to try today smelled extremely similar to the 80-year product I already got in Oman. Honestly, my nose couldn’t detect much difference at all.

Kyara Oud - again, very similar to the Kalakasi 80 product I already own, though about 35-40% percent cheaper. I bought a quarter tola of this for when my existing vial runs out.

‘First Rate Bridal Ta’if Rose’ - this was really nice, a touch more astringent and less lemony than the Ta’if rose oil I got from Amouage, but not as long-lasting. Okay price. Would consider buying some of this in future.
You might want to look into the Oud of the Day and Attar of the Day threads, where people post what they're wearing. Many people post about what they've gotten from artisans here. I've gotten 90% of my oud here, and many attars.
 
Check out the resident artisans/vendors here, a lot of them are UK/Europe based.
There's also a perfumer not listed here called mellifluence who makes phenomenal attars, but you'll have to message him via Instagram, WhatsApp or email
Thank you! I have to be honest that I’m really put off ordering attars/oils online by the potential for customs fees and/or products being detained by customs because they don’t know what they are, perhaps assuming they are illegal substances, etc. etc. Finding a perfumer physically located in UK/EU/even USA (because I have close family there) would be an advantage if it helps to avoid duties and other hassle. I see 3ml vials of wild oil from artisans here go for $1800+. If Danish or UK customs got hold of that, they would ream me 😅
 
Thank you! I have to be honest that I’m really put off ordering attars/oils online by the potential for customs fees and/or products being detained by customs because they don’t know what they are, perhaps assuming they are illegal substances, etc. etc. Finding a perfumer physically located in UK/EU/even USA (because I have close family there) would be an advantage if it helps to avoid duties and other hassle. I see 3ml vials of wild oil from artisans here go for $1800+. If Danish or UK customs got hold of that, they would ream me 😅
Most artisans here fit that bill, and also have offerings which are not as expensive as that. Also check out mellifluence on Instagram if you have it, one of his recent posts shows his current offerings and their prices, which are all below £200 per 3ml
 
Thank you! I have to be honest that I’m really put off ordering attars/oils online by the potential for customs fees and/or products being detained by customs because they don’t know what they are, perhaps assuming they are illegal substances, etc. etc. Finding a perfumer physically located in UK/EU/even USA (because I have close family there) would be an advantage if it helps to avoid duties and other hassle. I see 3ml vials of wild oil from artisans here go for $1800+. If Danish or UK customs got hold of that, they would ream me 😅
Buy the sample set from oudique. Super affordable ouds. Good quality. I believe shipping from Europe.

 
Hi again, all - I took a trip to the ASQ store on Oxford Street in London today, and I thought I’d give an update having tried a few other products.

Kalakasi Oud 150 - they didn’t have any of the 80-year version, but they let me try the fabled older version. What I was given to try today smelled extremely similar to the 80-year product I already got in Oman. Honestly, my nose couldn’t detect much difference at all.

Kyara Oud - again, very similar to the Kalakasi 80 product I already own, though about 35-40% percent cheaper. I bought a quarter tola of this for when my existing vial runs out.

‘First Rate Bridal Ta’if Rose’ - this was really nice, a touch more astringent and less lemony than the Ta’if rose oil I got from Amouage, but not as long-lasting. Okay price. Would consider buying some of this in future.

Santal Spirit - I really wanted to try this, but I couldn’t smell it on top of the oud and rose I had already dabbed. I should have started with this one.

Couple of other notes: the Kyara product I bought was dispensed into a new vial from a large glass container - they didn’t do this in Oman.

The 50% ‘discount’ is not shown on the ASQ UK website, but when you walk into the store everything is magically 50% off the website price…go figure 😄.

For what it’s worth, the sales assistant I dealt with was nice, polite and professional. She was knowledgeable about the products, and perfectly happy to let me try everything I wanted to try.

I must say that ASQ continues to strike me as an odd brand - the vibe seems to be “look, just trust us - the products are good. You don’t need all that Western nonsense like labels, ingredient lists and factory seals.” 😅

Finally, if anyone knows of anywhere better to buy Arab-style perfumes/attars/oils in the UK or continental Europe, please let me know!
Thank you so much dear Alamande, your review is highly appreciated! I recently smelt the 150 year old kalakassi and honestly, it smells so harsh and burnt ash-y? did you get this? compared to the 80 year old, which is more sour and fruity-ish and the 120 old kalakassi (more smooth and woody), the 150 took me completely off guard (way too bitter and ashy vibe)?
 
Thank you so much dear Alamande, your review is highly appreciated! I recently smelt the 150 year old kalakassi and honestly, it smells so harsh and burnt ash-y? did you get this? compared to the 80 year old, which is more sour and fruity-ish and the 120 old kalakassi (more smooth and woody), the 150 took me completely off guard (way too bitter and ashy vibe)?
My biggest surprise with all of these products is how similar they are - the Kyara product smells extremely similar to the 80-year Kalakasi, just not as long-lasting.

I will probably get some of the top-level Ta’if rose next time I am in London, but beyond that I am going to make my next oud purchase from an artisan here - it’s about time.

Thanks for everyone who has responded with suggestions - I also got some DMs. Great community here.
 
Hello dear community,

Can you please advise or recommend some good oils that are worthy of purchase from ASQ? Would greatly appreciate your opinions <3
I was looking at their 25 year crassna, 80 and 150 years kalakassi but not too sure tbh
Trash for the price. These commercial brands cannot be trusted. They never run out of their ‘150’ year old oils 😂 even ensar runs out sometimes, for a while atleast!
 
Trash for the price. These commercial brands cannot be trusted. They never run out of their ‘150’ year old oils 😂 even ensar runs out sometimes, for a while atleast!
For these '150' year old oils, their evolution has been stopped or paused perhaps :-D

And for Ensar, what can be said :-D
 
For these '150' year old oils, their evolution has been stopped or paused perhaps :-D

And for Ensar, what can be said :-D
Stories have to be gone. Someone at the beginning of my journey said follow your nose and now i understand. A value can only be made based on your nose and the product.

As for ensar, a lot can be said and i have said a lot, but none the less i feel like as an amateur i’ve taught him a thing or two about business management.

See picture below. IYKYK
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Abdulsamad al qurashi oil recommendations
    IMG_9339.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 207
I'm really into ASQ's Alula blend nowadays. I've tried some top quality Cambodians from artisans on ouddict but I have to say that the Alula blend (comes in a pair of two bottles, the darker one is awesome) really hits the spot for me. Not long lasting and the projection isn't amazing, but the smell is to die for.
 
ASAQ older oils were very good, but they aren't an artisanal oud distiller by any stretch of the imagination, so this thread has been moved to an appropriate location.
 
Where can I find these resellers
In my experience (and perhaps others can confirm this) the price you will pay is always “50% off” at all ASAQ retail stores, even in London.

The reason is that it’s not a real discount…more a marketing trick to pull in customers. The difference is that in the UK and EU, it is prohibited to advertise perpetual ‘discounts’ like this when nobody is paying the supposed full price, so the UK ASAQ website lists prices that are double what they actually are in-store to preserve the idea of there being a generous discount.

Here is a blog post that explains this idea:
 
In my experience (and perhaps others can confirm this) the price you will pay is always “50% off” at all ASAQ retail stores, even in London.

The reason is that it’s not a real discount…more a marketing trick to pull in customers. The difference is that in the UK and EU, it is prohibited to advertise perpetual ‘discounts’ like this when nobody is paying the supposed full price, so the UK ASAQ website lists prices that are double what they actually are in-store to preserve the idea of there being a generous discount.

Here is a blog post that explains this idea:
Wow that makes perfect sense, thank you for your discerning observation!
 
Top