Oud/Amber/Rose
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Ciel by Kyara Zen / Kangiiten
This smells great, a very spicy aroma with a musky backbone. can't pick up on the leathered aspect though, but from experience that is generally something I'm kinda anosmic to. Enjoyable, and I like the bottles it comes in - doesn't have an applicator, but like a little plastic flap that seals the bottle and then opens up to allow you to drop little bits of oil out.
 
Al Bayt Al Ateeq II by ASO

I have a huge smile on my face.
So simple. No funny stuff. Pure bliss.

Sweet. Floral. Leathery. Musky. Powdery. Balsamic. Resinous. Earthy.
It has all that you expect from a Ghaliyah with a lot more oomph.

I am amazed by the fact that I can smell oudh, and musk and rose and a million other things but can't separate them out. YKWIM
 
Wore Chypre Chrysantheme (SPA) for Jumu'ah today - bitter green composition that reveals a wonderful rose water like facet in the heart and ends with a floral and pastel brown leather. But I can clearly smell the vernal influence during it's trail. If you like bitter and bright greens of all sorts, this is worth sampling. It is playful without being ditzy.
 
Today it was a valerian oil that mesoud included in my sample set. This is quite an oil. A lot like spikenard, but a little more funky, I think the stuff would have a place in perfumes for sure especially where muskiness without actual musk is required.

Mesoud- is this your own distillation? Nice stuff! Has a note in common with some fermented oud I have smelled. I almost suspect some cheaper oils and have accumulated over the years may have been laced with something like this to give them a bit of funk.
 
Today it was a valerian oil that mesoud included in my sample set. This is quite an oil. A lot like spikenard, but a little more funky, I think the stuff would have a place in perfumes for sure especially when we’re muskiness without actual musk is required.

Mesoud- is this your own distillation? Nice stuff! Has a note in common with some fermented oud I have smelled. I almost suspect some cheaper oils and have accumulated over the years may have been laced with something like this to give them a bit of funk.
No dear it is co2 extraction of valerian root
 
Al Bayt Al Ateeq II by ASO

I have a huge smile on my face.
So simple. No funny stuff. Pure bliss.

Sweet. Floral. Leathery. Musky. Powdery. Balsamic. Resinous. Earthy.
It has all that you expect from a Ghaliyah with a lot more oomph.

I am amazed by the fact that I can smell oudh, and musk and rose and a million other things but can't separate them out. YKWIM
This one is amazing
 
I just applied a dab of a black durian crassna codistillation Russian Adam brewed up a while back. Oud dominates - like a plantation Thai crassna but the top notes definitely reflect blending of the fruitiness of the durian with the Thai oil - seems to add a kind of creamy fruitiness that is more or less in alignment with the smell of the oil itself.

That fruitiness seems not to just dissipate and is holding reasonably strong as the oud settles down
 
Sicilian Vanilla attar - Rising Phoenix Perfumery

Simply not getting the hype it deserves. Quality of the ingredients and of the blending in this one is stellar.

I get a vanilla bomb… but it’s more than that.. the tobacco is very classy. He’s clearly using some NICE sandalwood in this. And considering it is literally 100% natural. You’d expect this stuff to smell like an essential oils shop but it smells incredibly refined and like nothing else on the market.

It’s a must-try imo whether you like gourmands or not… in fact, especially if you don’t like gourmands because this stuff skips all of the cotton candy, caramel, ethyl maltol bs. And goes for a sexy grown-up vanilla-drenched tobacco leaf scent with some fuzzy santalols. The blackcurrent and jasmine are perfectly blended into the core of this fragrance and are not really smelled on their own. They more contribute to the overall dimensionality and complexity of the composition.

I wish I could stop raving about RPP’s stuff on here. But JK can pretty much have my wallet at this point… I really enjoy everything I’ve smelled coming out of his shop and hope to keep shopping until I’ve tried it all 😂
 
Sicilian Vanilla attar - Rising Phoenix Perfumery

Simply not getting the hype it deserves. Quality of the ingredients and of the blending in this one is stellar.

I get a vanilla bomb… but it’s more than that.. the tobacco is very classy. He’s clearly using some NICE sandalwood in this. And considering it is literally 100% natural. You’d expect this stuff to smell like an essential oils shop but it smells incredibly refined and like nothing else on the market.

It’s a must-try imo whether you like gourmands or not… in fact, especially if you don’t like gourmands because this stuff skips all of the cotton candy, caramel, ethyl maltol bs. And goes for a sexy grown-up vanilla-drenched tobacco leaf scent with some fuzzy santalols. The blackcurrent and jasmine are perfectly blended into the core of this fragrance and are not really smelled on their own. They more contribute to the overall dimensionality and complexity of the composition.

I wish I could stop raving about RPP’s stuff on here. But JK can pretty much have my wallet at this point… I really enjoy everything I’ve smelled coming out of his shop and hope to keep shopping until I’ve tried it all 😂
It's really good, I've had my sample for about 5 years (I never seem to finish them!) and wore it a couple of months back and enjoyed it a lot. I'm usually adverse to sweeter scents but this is brilliant. Good description!
 
VAAN (NOT Perfumes) is alcohol-based, but wears like an attar. It smells like an aged and highly concentrated vanilla tincture, adorned with green and herbaceous facets and some warm spices at the start. The uses of birch tar and a vanillic and smoky castoreum are sublime here.

Vanilla, (possibly) benzoin, labdanum, Swedish castoreum, birch tar jostles amongst themselves to show off. There is possibly myrrh, sweet myrrh too. It comes across like a smoky, resinous, balsamic, smoky vanilla. At the same time, green and herbaceous facets provide a counter balance - which also renders VAAN non-gourmand. Like all Johanna Venables compositions, its singularity and seriousness is evident from the start till the end. And yet, VAAN is a very comforting composition .... One of the finest renditions of vanilla I have come across.
 
VAAN (NOT Perfumes) is alcohol-based, but wears like an attar. It smells like an aged and highly concentrated vanilla tincture, adorned with green and herbaceous facets and some warm spices at the start. The uses of birch tar and a vanillic and smoky castoreum are sublime here.

Vanilla, (possibly) benzoin, labdanum, Swedish castoreum, birch tar jostles amongst themselves to show off. There is possibly myrrh, sweet myrrh too. It comes across like a smoky, resinous, balsamic, smoky vanilla. At the same time, green and herbaceous facets provide a counter balance - which also renders VAAN non-gourmand. Like all Johanna Venables compositions, its singularity and seriousness is evident from the start till the end. And yet, VAAN is a very comforting composition .... One of the finest renditions of vanilla I have come across.
have been waiting for so long for her website to reopen! can’t wait for whenever that is
 
EO Amber - Ensar Oud

Labdanum bomb, with a nice hit of smokey resins. Smells like some opoponax and a bit of benzoin in here as well could be mistaken. May also be something floral in here. Like some of Ensar’s compositions, it can be a little rough around the edges. A bit of a plasticky note on the opening and something playdough-like later on in the development. I hate to make comments like that but, for what the guy charges for his stuff, this shouldn’t be the case anymore.

Aside from those minor flaws, it smells pretty great and performs nicely. I love these sweet and “dank” resin-ey smells. One of the most affordable things Ensar sells and just a nice pleasant scent… a friend of mine thinks it smells like honey.

A bit of a guilty pleasure, I wear this in a casual setting. Shines in cool weather. Fine for evening/night time. Might be best suited to day-time though.
 
Last edited:
EO Amber - Ensar Oud

Labdanum bomb, with a nice hit of smokey resins. Smells like some opoponax and a bit of benzoin in here as well could be mistaken. May also be something floral in here. Like some of Ensar’s compositions, it can be a little rough around the edges. A bit of a plasticky note on the opening and something playdough-like later on in the development. I hate to make comments like that but, for what the guy charges for his stuff, this shouldn’t be the case anymore.

Aside from those minor flaws, it smells pretty great and performs nicely. I love these sweet and “dank” resin-ey smells. One of the most affordable things Ensar sells and just a nice pleasant scent… a friend of mine thinks it smells like honey.

A bit of a guilty pleasure, I wear this in a casual setting. Shines in cool weather. Fine for evening/night time. Might be best suited to day-time though.
Ensar created this as an ingredient for his other attars, and sells it as an attar on it's own as well. I think it works better as an ingredient. His original sultan musk attar is one of my favorite attars ever and it smelled like it had a lot of EO Amber in it. I have smelled it in a lot of his other attars as well. It is excellent as an ingredient, but not so much as a standalone attar in my opinion.

I don't get anything unpleasant in the opening, but I agree the drydown is something like playdough, and is not very pleasant. With other ingredients layered over it, the drydown is made almost unnoticeable and much more pleasant.
 
Ensar created this as an ingredient for his other attars, and sells it as an attar on it's own as well. I think it works better as an ingredient. His original sultan musk attar is one of my favorite attars ever and it smelled like it had a lot of EO Amber in it. I have smelled it in a lot of his other attars as well. It is excellent as an ingredient, but not so much as a standalone attar in my opinion.

I don't get anything unpleasant in the opening, but I agree the drydown is something like playdough, and is not very pleasant. With other ingredients layered over it, the drydown is made almost unnoticeable and much more pleasant.

That makes sense. Might be able to cover up that play-dough smell with some other ingredients. It’s a pretty nice scent in general… has the Ensar aesthetic. But part of that aesthetic, in my opinion, often is a little rough around the edges. Not always a bad thing!
 
Amber - Rising Phoenix Perfumery

Big fan of amber, some of you may have seen my post the other day about another amber.

JK’s amber in this case is a less cloying. More fresh/spicy. And I have no questions about whether this stuff is ACTUALLY 100% natural. Which is important to me.

Some sticky labdanum and vanilla right on the opening. After a few minutes, the fresh-spiciness of some vetiver comes forth and provides a bed of woodiness that the other ingredients kind of nestle in.

It reminds me a bit of cola on certain wafts, other times I just get the resiny labdanum with a hint of vanilla. If I take a deep inhale up close I get more of that fresh-spiciness of the vetiver. I’m most impressed that he’s able to get this amber to be so balanced. Never do I find it to be “too much” of any one thing.

Jk mentions in the listing that he intends for this to be either a perfumery ingredient, an essential oil blend ready for a diffuser, or a standalone attar. He suggests that one could add some tobacco or tonka. Assuming to get it to wear a little heavier.

As it stands (without anything added). It could be an awesome reference for a natural amber accord, could make a great standalone amber attar for true year-round wear (heat will play well with the fresh-spiciness and cool will allow those classic amber notes to shine). I’m sure it slips easily into a perfume composition without weighing the composition down or creating conflicts with the other ingredients. Which, from my understanding is one of the bigger challenges when working with naturals.

All in all, glad I have a gram of this stuff and will have it to compare with other ambers for some time!
 
Patchouli MD (molecular distillate) from Liberty Natural. Very nice aspects of patchouli concentrated in this oil. I have smelled some wonderful “alternative” patchouli extracts recently: patchouli fraction B (Robertet), patchouli heart SFE, Liberty MD patchouli and pure patchoulol natural isolate.

Each has a different character, and I still prefer aged distilled plain old patchouli oil as a fragrance itself, but some of the notes and dry downs are just so appealing and engaging to the olfactory system.
 
Back
Top