Heating some Sinking Ceram from @EJayB I got recently..
I have the setting at 13.5v.
Getting some lovely notes when I have my nose over the sub. This reminds me of an open sniff from an Oudh oil out of the bottle.....will leave it at this temp for now....
 
Sandalwood pieces I got maybe 18 years ago from Singapore. Dry classic sandalwood scent on the subitism, from a distance, smelled up close there is that certain sweet almost vibrating dense sandalwood oil hit that is almost narcotic.

I always struggle with effectively heating Sandalwood though. I am never able to get a nice long clean satisfying session like I can with agarwood.

It’s like I always end up underheating it or overheating it. Ends up being good for just a very brief period of time. So I have accumulated a lot of sandal wood - I never burn it since I feel like I screw up the burn every time. I don’t mean literal combustion I just mean getting that sweet spot on the subitism.

Would love to figure out the ideal quantity/ form / temperature of sandalwood to really scent a room or home.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    AE3FA147-8323-4C6E-A272-E13220AF89C8.webp
    194.7 KB · Views: 133
I think that sounds reasonable. I wonder about the traditional ways of getting the most out of this wood, and how to go about processing it into a smooth sandalwood incense.

In the meanwhile heating thin slivers on a mica plate will provide tiny whiffs of what I crave.

Anyone have any preferred ways to heat/burn sandalwood that seem to work well?

Thank you.
 
I think that sounds reasonable. I wonder about the traditional ways of getting the most out of this wood, and how to go about processing it into a smooth sandalwood incense.

In the meanwhile heating thin slivers on a mica plate will provide tiny whiffs of what I crave.

Anyone have any preferred ways to heat/burn sandalwood that seem to work well?

Thank you.
I haven't experimented with solid sandal chunks like the ones you showed but I'd recommend pulverizing it into small bits and powder and then heating it.

I'm sure you know this but heating a thick chunk of wood would evaporate the oil at the base first and then any higher temperature would simply burn the wood fibers. And this is just my observation but burnt sandal fibers are much harsher than the smell of sandalwood oil evaporating and thus masking any good aroma there may be. And also why it's best to never even reach the point where burned fibers can be smelled. Try it and lmk how it goes.
 
I haven't experimented with solid sandal chunks like the ones you showed but I'd recommend pulverizing it into small bits and powder and then heating it.

I'm sure you know this but heating a thick chunk of wood would evaporate the oil at the base first and then any higher temperature would simply burn the wood fibers. And this is just my observation but burnt sandal fibers are much harsher than the smell of sandalwood oil evaporating and thus masking any good aroma there may be. And also why it's best to never even reach the point where burned fibers can be smelled. Try it and lmk how it goes.
Sound advice. Those chips are just the form they come in. I have a variety of forms on hand - powder, granules, cut squares, splinters, etc.

I usually pound them down to useful form with a heavy mortar and pestle.

Each of the different forms can have a place, but my problem is getting any kind of sustained satisfying burn. The wood fibers really present a challenge. I am super satisfied with sandalwood for close-in appreciation and short sessions.

I’m just wondering how satisfying fumigation can be achieved.

I hate to “cheat” but it may be a mix of powder and oil into a kind of pasty incense is the way to go.
 
Sound advice. Those chips are just the form they come in. I have a variety of forms on hand - powder, granules, cut squares, splinters, etc.

I usually pound them down to useful form with a heavy mortar and pestle.

Each of the different forms can have a place, but my problem is getting any kind of sustained satisfying burn. The wood fibers really present a challenge. I am super satisfied with sandalwood for close-in appreciation and short sessions.

I’m just wondering how satisfying fumigation can be achieved.

I hate to “cheat” but it may be a mix of powder and oil into a kind of pasty incense is the way to go.
I think most sandalwood is just not meant to be fumigated at high heats like agarwood or resins. Maaaybe some people have exceptionally rich sandalwood that can take the high heat well.
 
On the heater tonight,
Shoyeido Matsu Grade Boku (Chips)
View attachment 22284
So grateful to come home from work and relax to a room full of Wonderful Aroma.

Where do you go about buying raw woods from the big Japanese houses? All I ever see is super dainty looking oragami wrapped .25g in little kodo kits. Are the big houses known for selling more exciting pieces privately (like how Jing does?)
 
My burn of the day is ejayb’s cultivated kinam non-sinking chips pounded to a small splinter size on the subitism. I put a relatively thick layer which is a good way to burn because the top layer is subjected to gentler heat than the bottom layer and the cultivated kinam smells great at moderate to low temperatures. In a thicker layer, if the bottom is at moderate temp the top is a few degrees cooler and the result is a smooth long lasting deep scent. Once it fades, a quick stir brings the top layer down for another good cloud of scent. I can scent a room most of the day this way by periodically stirring the granules.
 
This was a lucky find. Just pick these up today they were buried in the back of a New Age shop with a lot of low quality incense. Price was good as well. The box is “incense road” sandalwood a very nice classic shoyeido spicy smooth sandalwood. It’s been about 18 years since I’ve smelled this one the last box I bought was in 2000

The premium assortment includes myoho and sho-kaku
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    6A2B8544-860F-4F5D-AB12-BFBD69CF9DB3.webp
    134.5 KB · Views: 104
This was a lucky find. Just pick these up today they were buried in the back of a New Age shop with a lot of low quality incense. Price was good as well. The box is “incense road” sandalwood a very nice classic shoyeido spicy smooth sandalwood. It’s been about 18 years since I’ve smelled this one the last box I bought was in 2000

The premium assortment includes myoho and sho-kaku
No way! Talk about finding a treasure!
 
I like to take a big hunk of sandalwood maby 8-10mm thick with a flat bottom and let it sit on low heat on the sub. (No smoke) This way the flavor slowly diffuses out through the thickness of the wood over 20 or 30 min. When its done the wood has a black spot on the bottom but never combusted. Or of course extra low heat with micro granuals or thin shavings is always a winner. (Also no smoke)
 
Back
Top