-Renton-

True Ouddict

Pontianak (West Kalimantan) wood from Kangiiten. Very nice wood and will not use it again until my knock off MHP30 comes on Wednesday since they are tiny wee slivers of wood, also waiting on Brunei K which should be coming in bigger pieces for me to cut. I will be burning most of my wood on this electric heater anyway.

This wood is top class, very resinous, bubbles quite a bit on charcoal and a mica sheet/plate. Notes of oudy-ness, not much woodiness, creamy chocolate and spring water type note as well. Lovely wood. Very sleepy inducing wood.

Last edited:

Mr.P

oud<3er
Ahhh the malinau / kalimantan wood from wardlab is so tasty! I enjoy this profile so much… Every time I smell it I am connected with a memory or some kind of pleasant association from my past, I can’t quite figure out what it is. it’s kind of a deep and evocative scent for me.

This gives a wonderful space filling soothing minty and resinous-woody aroma with some kind of glossy custardy chocolate-adjacent deep backdrop. The pieces make a “tink” type sound due to their density and hardness.

-Renton-

True Ouddict
before bed dosage
Kyara "The Warbler's First Song"
unique wood, extremely complex, have special sweetness and bitterness levels, spice, flowers, Frankincense, cool air, honey and Guava
I know the "cool air" type effect, but for me it been limited to a kind of spring water breeze. How do you define the, "cool air" effect?

iori

親月
I know the "cool air" type effect, but for me it been limited to a kind of spring water breeze. How do you define the, "cool air" effect?
hmm its hard to describe it tbh but in general there is special cooling or cold effect in green kyara "varies because of grades etc" some call it menthol some call it minty and some would describe it similar to some of the herbs with cool effect.
it should not be mistake for bitterness because not all kyara is bitter or mistaken it for core note of kyara "i mean whats make the wood kyara, its hard to explain it but there is a shared note or effect in the core that makes you tell if its kyara or not".
^ regarding this if you test the Pursat "pursat grade" what they call baby kinam or the Brunei kinam or the borneo/tarakan kinam they have special effects, room tempreture aroma and so on but they lack that certain note or effect in the core to call them kinam/kyara.
Thats why the Brunei kinam and Borneo/Tarakan kinam is found sometimes under Sasora or Summondora of shino ryu Rikkokugomi.

-Renton-

True Ouddict
hmm its hard to describe it tbh but in general there is special cooling or cold effect in green kyara "varies because of grades etc" some call it menthol some call it minty and some would describe it similar to some of the herbs with cool effect.
it should not be mistake for bitterness because not all kyara is bitter or mistaken it for core note of kyara "i mean whats make the wood kyara, its hard to explain it but there is a shared note or effect in the core that makes you tell if its kyara or not".
^ regarding this if you test the Pursat "pursat grade" what they call baby kinam or the Brunei kinam or the borneo/tarakan kinam they have special effects, room tempreture aroma and so on but they lack that certain note or effect in the core to call them kinam/kyara.
Thats why the Brunei kinam and Borneo/Tarakan kinam is found sometimes under Sasora or Summondora of shino ryu Rikkokugomi.
I actually just got this effect just there as I was burning half of a stick of Kyara Enju by Seijudo. it is very lovely. And the more I use the sticks the more I can smell it. Strangely enough, it feels like (even with mouth completely shut) I can feel the scents in my mouth. The "Gomi".

Mr.P

oud<3er
This is a good read. Thank you. My Baieido set may be similar to shino ryu style?

iori

親月
This is a good read. Thank you. My Baieido set may be similar to shino ryu style?
hey brother i believe Baieido sets follow Shino-Ryu so the Sasora/summondura is most likely from Borneo island "Brunei/Tarakan/Malinau"
I know its written in many sites that Sasora could be from Assam and Summandora from Sumatora but in most cases from what i seen that's not the case.
Anyway if you see Rikkokugomi set with Sandalwood"its under Sasora" its Oie Ryu, if it's all Agarwood its Shino Ryu.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Hainan Char

So pleasing….it makes me smile.
Well, I think you have just inspired me to get some Hainan char going here… I have a bit of ward lab bao tou just coming up to temp on the subitism

I’ll see if I can find the sweet spot. At the current temp the opening has slight earthiness beneath balsamic and vanillin / aged book scent, temp is maybe a bit high as i am getting light combustion notes. The bittersweet sinensis thing is there but in a blended and dignified way that suggest some age / exposure to the elements. There is some thing peculiarly nice in that syrupy forest, the sweetness that reminds me a little bit of balsam poplar, and the more pleasant parts of labdanum aroma.