Some things definitely need to be heated up properly to be appreciated that's for sure. I burned some beautiful Kalimantan at the wrong temperature yesterday and my whole house smelled awful - sour, fecal, skanky. Done right that same wood liberates a deeply beautiful minty blast.

Absolutely! This isn’t often something I see people talk about but when it comes to heating stuff there is definitely an art to it. Some things just don’t like high heat and some things really need to be burnt to the point of releasing smoke to reach their potential.

Personally, I find it safest to start low and slowly increase the temperature over time whenever possible. Hence the huge value of electric heaters.

That being said, this stick incense, in my opinion, is meant to be enjoyed as it was designed. Again, why I view it as an excellent product.
 
Bao Tou sinensis on the candle burner. Initial blast has a little bit of the salivary notes, some smoky wood fiber notes right away (pretty dry wood), an earthy fungus decaying wood scent, smoke kind of stings a bit, more hot than sweet. Definitely a surprise compared to what I am accustomed to with sinensis. Smells like something that might work well ground up and in a stick as opposed to delicately heated. Not sure what the right temperature is for this wood, but at the moment the atmosphere it is making in the room is not as clean as I prefer - there's a bit of something fecal akin to labdanum that I recognize has its place but i don't care for.
 
Sinking Laos
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
That's a nice looking burner you've got there. Where'd you find that!?
İ will share the link
Gifted to me by @Bay Oud ,after i noticed how good it is,i got 3 more and gifted to some friends.
İt is 100% ceramic from 50-300 has a wide range
And best side for me,has a timer,i am setting it to 2 hours and sleeping with it
Note:i tried several times 5 hours non stop burning,did not see any problem,as mentioned 100% ceramic
İf i dont remember wrong price was something like 75$
 
İ will share the link
Gifted to me by @Bay Oud ,after i noticed how good it is,i got 3 more and gifted to some friends.
İt is 100% ceramic from 50-300 has a wide range
And best side for me,has a timer,i am setting it to 2 hours and sleeping with it
Note:i tried several times 5 hours non stop burning,did not see any problem,as mentioned 100% ceramic
İf i dont remember wrong price was something like 75$
Sounds ideal
 
Yamadamatsu SS Aloeswood Chunk

This is so Tarakan, but with resin notes too.
I have an old (ca. 2001) yamada SS chunk that is also Tarakan. Good stuff- incredibly rich.
 
Wild Purple Kyara - Silk Embroidered from brother Kosmas. 100-120c (120c being the sweet spot and maybe 140c also).

Sweet and slightly spicy, powdery very perfumey purple florals, sweet purple fruits, sour purple fruits, freshness, more intense spice, spicy and slight mint, some sour purple/red combined fruits that I detected for a sec, subtle honey notes with a spiciness, and some blueberry notes, and resin*. Super purple blast so far on low temps. Gonna climb to see what notes I can get 😉.

* EDIT *

More to discover with this new Kyara, like if I need to put more on etc, it is harder to cut than the White Kyara I have (Fuji Smoke). Which I wish I had unlimited access to that, got a top up of 0.05g so before I done a big couple of sessions with it last night I was sitting at 0.13g of it, which was nearly back at what I originally got.

 
Last edited:
TasFragrance - Wild Hainan green heartwood This really is quite a complex wood. Still wasn't getting much love from the lower temps. Was weird as from 30 degrees up to about 80 I would get these lovely little hints of delicate vanilla but then it would just quit once it hit 100 degrees like there was nothing at all. Pushed harder from 120 through to 140 still not much if anything. I was about to give up and move onto something else but thought, bugger it, I'll go up to 160 and yay!! Now it's singing! Stunning scent. Was it @TheOudDood that also had some of this? I remember someone saying they were getting love from 60 degrees and yet I had to go so much higher from the same wood.
 
Back
Top