Here is a fun recipe. I am beginning to explore ancient recipes, my next study is “Annals of the Caliphs’ Kitchen: Ibn Sayyyār Al-Warrāq’s Tenth-Century Baghdadi Cookbook”.

It is a remarkable cookbook, I am excited to explore the formulations for spices, coming from such an important time in the history of civilization and perfumery. From my understanding, Baghdad, during the tenth century, was the epicenter of the Islamic Golden Age, and, during this time, perfume and aromatics saw an increase in use and sophistication.

One of the easiest recipes, for saffron creamed rice, can be found here:

 
Here is a fun recipe. I am beginning to explore ancient recipes, my next study is “Annals of the Caliphs’ Kitchen: Ibn Sayyyār Al-Warrāq’s Tenth-Century Baghdadi Cookbook”.

It is a remarkable cookbook, I am excited to explore the formulations for spices, coming from such an important time in the history of civilization and perfumery. From my understanding, Baghdad, during the tenth century, was the epicenter of the Islamic Golden Age, and, during this time, perfume and aromatics saw an increase in use and sophistication.

One of the easiest recipes, for saffron creamed rice, can be found here:

About that, I found out that a certain dish from my heritage actually goes back to pre-Islamic times, and was one of the Prophet’s favorite dishes, and he served it in one of his weddings.
In our cultures it’s called Sh’atha شعثة which translates to something like “hairy”, referring to the strands of fiber in dates. In old Arabic it’s called Al-hays الحيس.
It’s a very simple, but nutrient dense dish. It’s three ingredients: dates, Aqet اقط which is a type of hard cheese, and ghee. The ingredients are all mushed together and served. It was supposedly the food for travelers, because it doesn’t go bad and has a huge amount of energy, electrolytes and other necessary nutrients. Also my favorite dish, once you start eating eating you can’t stop 😂
 
About that, I found out that a certain dish from my heritage actually goes back to pre-Islamic times, and was one of the Prophet’s favorite dishes, and he served it in one of his weddings.
In our cultures it’s called Sh’atha شعثة which translates to something like “hairy”, referring to the strands of fiber in dates. In old Arabic it’s called Al-hays الحيس.
It’s a very simple, but nutrient dense dish. It’s three ingredients: dates, Aqet اقط which is a type of hard cheese, and ghee. The ingredients are all mushed together and served. It was supposedly the food for travelers, because it doesn’t go bad and has a huge amount of energy, electrolytes and other necessary nutrients. Also my favorite dish, once you start eating eating you can’t stop 😂
You have any more widely available alternative for the Aqet cheese?
 
@Saudalhajri I will have to try the Sh'atha soon, it sounds delightful!
You have to, it’s addictive
You have any more widely available alternative for the Aqet cheese?
I’m not sure, maybe ricotta?

aqet is easy to make, you take Laban (maybe kefir works?) and bring it to a very soft simmer, when the cheese separates from the whey you turn of the heat and let it cook, then strain it. This is called كرثي Kerthy in my dialect, and Abu Braid ابو بريد in the UAE. It’s soft, creamy, salty and you can eat it like this, make a scoop out of a date and eat it with that. You can make the dish using it in this stage but I prefer the latter:

To turn it into Aqet it’s flattened and pressed with the hand leaving finger marks , then thrown on top of your tent on a sunny day, or you can use a dehydrated or just let it dry for a few days on the counter. When it’s completely dry it’s shelf life is a few decades at least if kept away from moisture.
To make Aqet out of it, break it up but don’t completely powder it, because the bigger chunks here and there give a great texture and a nice salty explosion in the Sh’atha. After that you pit your dates, mush then with the Aqet and ghee, the best is sheep butter ghee with traditional spices that make it green in color.
The ratio is however you like it, start with 1:1 and see how it tastes, add more of either to your liking.

In the photo: Aqet drying on top of a Bedouin family’s resting tent
[Ouddict.com] Food
 
About that, I found out that a certain dish from my heritage actually goes back to pre-Islamic times, and was one of the Prophet’s favorite dishes, and he served it in one of his weddings.
In our cultures it’s called Sh’atha شعثة which translates to something like “hairy”, referring to the strands of fiber in dates. In old Arabic it’s called Al-hays الحيس.
It’s a very simple, but nutrient dense dish. It’s three ingredients: dates, Aqet اقط which is a type of hard cheese, and ghee. The ingredients are all mushed together and served. It was supposedly the food for travelers, because it doesn’t go bad and has a huge amount of energy, electrolytes and other necessary nutrients. Also my favorite dish, once you start eating eating you can’t stop 😂
that exact trio really powered me through ramadan this year : )
 
there's an interesting reference in a 13th c. syrian cookbook-- the first chapter is entirely devoted to a discussion of perfume and incense (also so many of the food recipes are delicious.) caught my eye that the recommendation for soaking agarwood is to do it in rosewater. never heard of this before, is this still practiced at all?
 
there's an interesting reference in a 13th c. syrian cookbook-- the first chapter is entirely devoted to a discussion of perfume and incense (also so many of the food recipes are delicious.) caught my eye that the recommendation for soaking agarwood is to do it in rosewater. never heard of this before, is this still practiced at all?
I’ve seen a few distillers do that , I think Russian adam did it at least once, he mentions it here https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Russian-Adam-and-Oud-oils-9647.html

Can you share the name or a link to the book you’re referring to?
 
there's an interesting reference in a 13th c. syrian cookbook-- the first chapter is entirely devoted to a discussion of perfume and incense (also so many of the food recipes are delicious.) caught my eye that the recommendation for soaking agarwood is to do it in rosewater. never heard of this before, is this still practiced at all?
I could be mistaken, but if my recall is accurate, @mesOUD has done something similar with the rose water and oud. He has many fascinating techniques and distillations worth exploring, a phenomenal artist.
 
I could be mistaken, but if my recall is accurate, @mesOUD has done something similar with the rose water and oud. He has many fascinating techniques and distillations worth exploring, a phenomenal artist.
At least one with Hindi oud and one with sandalwood and mitti. 🙂
 
I could be mistaken, but if my recall is accurate, @mesOUD has done something similar with the rose water and oud. He has many fascinating techniques and distillations worth exploring, a phenomenal artist.
Thank you for your warm words
-Begum:Hindi&Rose
-Mitti Gulab
And 2 Attars
Fareed and Naseem,i used Rose hydrosol for distillations
 
@mesOUD educate us please.
Was begum distilled with rose water or was the wood soaked in rose water ?
Or was it something else altogether?
Both bro
Soaked in rose water and as distillation water used some (ratio and knowing your material is important here) rose water
 
Not exactly food but I just started adding some black seed oil to my diet. it was a long stressful winter, very little sunshine and my energy is just bottoming out these days in spite of getting daily exercise and going out in the wet gray whether we have had since February.

I'd be curious to know how you all use this oil. Right now I am taking a small amount on an empty stomach in the morning. How much, how often? I know anecdotes aren't all that scientific but do you notice any benefits?
 
Not exactly food but I just started adding some black seed oil to my diet. it was a long stressful winter, very little sunshine and my energy is just bottoming out these days in spite of getting daily exercise and going out in the wet gray whether we have had since February.

I'd be curious to know how you all use this oil. Right now I am taking a small amount on an empty stomach in the morning. How much, how often? I know anecdotes aren't all that scientific but do you notice any benefits?
I add a teaspoon of Blsck Seed Oil daily to a cup of warm water honey and ginger. I take a cup first thing in the morning. I add another teaspoon if i feel unwell. I feel like Black seed oil (along with the Honey and ginger) have helped a lot with my immune system as alhamdulillah i rarely get Ill.
 
aw man, one of my customers let me pick a mango from their tree. look at the COLOR on this champagne variety! its positively tropical 🙂

smells sweet. cant wait to get home and cut it up!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20250611_121718.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 87
  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20250611_121712.webp
    71.8 KB · Views: 64
Not exactly food but I just started adding some black seed oil to my diet. it was a long stressful winter, very little sunshine and my energy is just bottoming out these days in spite of getting daily exercise and going out in the wet gray whether we have had since February.

I'd be curious to know how you all use this oil. Right now I am taking a small amount on an empty stomach in the morning. How much, how often? I know anecdotes aren't all that scientific but do you notice any benefits?
I went through the oil fairly quickly. I used in warm water. I tend to use the seeds more. I usually just sprinkle over my dinner like parsley...
 
Back
Top