a VERY large batch (6gal and 1gal) of mead!
ingredients:
13.5lbs local Floridian orange blossom honey, this time from Kelly's Apiaries of Lakeland (my own city! so cool.)
Zephyrhills spring water. (also Florida)
and sweet sun dried black mission figs from the southernmost peninsula of the U.S. (still Florida)
I boiled up a gallon of water and mixed in my honey. that makes it pour nicer, especially because this stuff had begun to crystalize... and you dont have to try and mix it inside a 6 gallon glass carboy with a 1 inch neck! pitched in some Lalvin d47 yeast which i have used before with great success using this exact recipe but smaller.
I tried making a batch with a mead specific yeast, and special yeast awakener, and a 4 day nutrient feed to keep the yeast happy. I was trying for high ABV but it tasted pretty grungy. I decided to try distilling it, and that was a LOT of fun. the liquor tastes a bit like honey and socks. I feel like if I put a lower ABV with better flavor into the still, I should get some nicer spirits.
here's where it gets really nerdy. while distilling alcohol, you take out the first bit of yield called "foreshots" and set them aside because they contain any methanol that may have formed during fermentation. this occurs when yeast interact with pectin, which is found in fruit skins. this is a mostly honey based drink, but I do add figs for natural nutrients and jammy flavors, so I follow this procedure. after the foreshots come the "heads", followed by the "hearts" that make up the majority of the run and finally "tails". each of these stages smells and tastes drastically different, and its wise to keep these fractions separate until they mature just a bit before blending them together to make your final product. does this sound familiar? its all a bit like how day 1 and day 5 pulls from essential oil are very different, but this all happens in the span of hours instead of days.
Anyway, I'll post again when this stuff is done in about 34 days. it'll clear up and be a clear golden liquid opposed to its royal cloudiness right now. all the excess waxes, pollen, random particles, and yeast are floating while its active. when its done all that will clump together and sink to the bottom called "lees" and I'll siphon off the clear stuff from the top. cheers!