here it's gone clear. I put the one gallon in a fridge, and cold crashed it and it pours super clear. tastes amazing. super happy with how it turned out! i just got a box of 80 8oz bottles to bottle it all in too. thats a lot of mead.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20260726_083749.webp
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20260726_083729.webp
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20260726_152802.webp
    134 KB · Views: 0
Summer eating is THE best.

Fresh fava beans and roasted radish over greens with a fried egg and homemade bread crumbs. No pics because it took so long to hull, blanch and peel the beans before sautéing that I just wanted to eat. But it was as pretty as it was tasty. I love fresh faves but man they are work. And I always forget that a giant bag yields just a couple handfuls. I have enough prepped for one more meal.
 
bottling day.... distilled some honey brandy out of the 5 gallons of mead i made, then bottled the rest.

the distillation was a 1.5x wash which means distilled once, then diluted with more mead and distilled again. i finally cracked the code on making fine spirits! this one has all the characteristics of the honey it was made from. i may end up blending all 5 of the cuts i made because they all really smell like different parts of the honey. im going to wait to blend them until theyve had time to sit by themselves and chill out for a bit. then i will re-smell and blend in one big jar and add a small chunk of used brandy barrel oak to add character and that golden color as it ages. how coooool!

now im omw to the store to get some apple juice to make some melomel mead :O
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20260816_112212.webp
    191.4 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20260816_105403.webp
    155 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20260816_105351.webp
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    20260816_124604.webp
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
[Ouddict.com] Food


Comfort food: Migas, which my mom used to make. Torn up and day-old corn tortillas stir-fried with eggs and dried beef (machaca). Topped with a creamy salsa I made that is a simple combination of charred jalapeños and salt in a corn oil emulsification.
 
View attachment 56405

Comfort food: Migas, which my mom used to make. Torn up and day-old corn tortillas stir-fried with eggs and dried beef (machaca). Topped with a creamy salsa I made that is a simple combination of charred jalapeños and salt in a corn oil emulsification.
You’re killing me. I looove migas and I love that kind of jalapeño salsa. It just amazes me that something can be so creamy with zero dairy added. It also amazes me that something so creamy can also be so insanely spicy
 
If you’re in Manhattan and you like South Asian flavors go check out Nishaan in the East Village. American and Mexican street food done with Pakistani flavors. I had the chapli kebab chopped cheese sandwich and masala fries and holy mackerel it was good. Very messy but good. Man those fries!!
 
If you’re in Manhattan and you like South Asian flavors go check out Nishaan in the East Village. American and Mexican street food done with Pakistani flavors. I had the chapli kebab chopped cheese sandwich and masala fries and holy mackerel it was good. Very messy but good. Man those fries!!
You’re killing me. I looove migas and I love that kind of jalapeño salsa. It just amazes me that something can be so creamy with zero dairy added. It also amazes me that something so creamy can also be so insanely spicy

Oh nice, Manhattan is a skip and a hop away from my part of Brooklyn. I'll definitely check it out. Food out can be so hit or miss so I really appreciate a good recommendation.

The supermarket nearby me only sells pre-packaged chiles and they sell ALOT of them, which for a one person household like mine, can be hard to get through quickly enough. I love making this salsa as a way of getting through at least 8-12 chiles.
 
Oh nice, Manhattan is a skip and a hop away from my part of Brooklyn. I'll definitely check it out. Food out can be so hit or miss so I really appreciate a good recommendation.

The supermarket nearby me only sells pre-packaged chiles and they sell ALOT of them, which for a one person household like mine, can be hard to get through quickly enough. I love making this salsa as a way of getting through at least 8-12 chiles.. I really liked it and hope you do as well. I basically stopped eating out after Covid. I got even better at cooking during lockdown because I had nothing to do all day but watch cooking programs and then actually cook.
I used to eat at a Mexican restaurant near my old place in Williamsburg that made the best jalapeno salsa and I would always order chips and salsa but request that instead of red chile salsa. I don’t think it was on the menu but they were nice enough to give to me every time. I would eat a whole bowl by myself. It was freaking delicious but oof did I pay for it the nest day. The Union Square farmers market is stacked high with amazing chiles right now. Actually this is my favorite time of year to go because there are still tomatoes, there’s tons of chiles you’d never see in a store and it’s flower season so there are absolutely insane dahlias and huge marigolds.
 
I used to eat at a Mexican restaurant near my old place in Williamsburg that made the best jalapeno salsa and I would always order chips and salsa but request that instead of red chile salsa. I don’t think it was on the menu but they were nice enough to give to me every time. I would eat a whole bowl by myself. It was freaking delicious but oof did I pay for it the nest day. The Union Square farmers market is stacked high with amazing chiles right now. Actually this is my favorite time of year to go because there are still tomatoes, there’s tons of chiles you’d never see in a store and it’s flower season so there are absolutely insane dahlias and huge marigolds.
Farmers markets! I'm closet to the one at Prospect Park which might have the same chile vendor. I'll see what I can pick up. 🙂
 
Farmers markets! I'm closet to the one at Prospect Park which might have the same chile vendor. I'll see what I can pick up. 🙂
I bought the most beautiful chiles I’ve ever seen at one. So tender and crisp and insane colors. Some just a great vegetal chile flavor and some that I made into a preserved sauce that were so hot they almost made me throw up. I still ate it. Just added a little sugar and prayed.
 
Back
Top