I’m going to muster my courage and post this here. For background, up until about a week ago, the only incense I knew about were the cheap, headshop sticks you can get. When I started getting more into Buddhism, I purchased a mala from a place that also sold “Tibetan incense.” To that end, I have no clue what this is, just that I like the smell. I’ve got subs on the way and plan to learn more about this world, but for right now, I have no clue what this one is other than “Tibetan incense!”

I’d love some info on where to find better sticks, though. You guys are clearly into another world with what you’re doing here and I want to know more about it!

View attachment 52141
At the moment Incense Traditions isn’t shipping to the US, but check out their website for Tibetan incense just to become familiar with what is out there.
They’re the best source I’ve ever found for Tibetan monastery sticks, and I ended up buying 70% or so of everything they carry.

Then head over to Olfactory Rescue Service and check their archive or reviews on that variety and many others.
 
Last edited:
You’ve nailed the source of my motivation. Combustionless natural aromas are what I’m so fervently interested in (all of a sudden?). I’m glad to hear what you said about the Tibetan incense, too. These are the only ones that never smelt so cloying to me. I know there are powerful natural fragrances, but some of that stuff burns and you can just tell it’s full of additives. The Tibetan ones smell way less fabricated and have that almost punky, sour smell to them that reinforces my belief that they’re at least legit, low quality as they may be. An old boss used to tell me, “The truth is good enough,” meaning - I shouldn’t be ashamed of these low quality sticks because, if not for them, I wouldn’t have arrived here. So, in spite of how pedestrian they are, I should appreciate their role in my story because it ushered me to the entrance of this rabbit hole!
Yeah there's no shame in learning from the bad stuff - often that's the only gateway to this whole thing that we are presented with.

Tibetan can be good it can also be pretty terrible depending on the formulation because there are cheap knock offs of the good medicinal stuff. Also even the best stuff can be very intense, I actually burn some of my Tibetan outdoors by placing it up wind of where I'm sitting when I'm doing a yardwork or having a campfire or something.


here's a collection of Tibetan sticks. I haven't ordered from this company in decades but these were one of the original sellers of the Baieido line in the US and they have been business for quite a long time.
 
Another tibetan specialist - i got great sticks from these guys. Yet another business though that has stopped shipping to the United States because of the chaotic tariff policies making things difficult for everybody..

incense traditions
 
Another tibetan specialist - i got great sticks from these guys. Yet another business though that has stopped shipping to the United States because of the chaotic tariff policies making things difficult for everybody..

incense traditions

Thanks for the recommendations, @Mr.P

As you may imagine, I’ve spent the last week, or so, researching this stuff and have come across piles of sources. I’m trying to do my homework and learn what to look for, but getting recommendations from you guys is ultra nice. Vetted vendors are reassuring!
 
Thanks for the recommendations, @Mr.P

As you may imagine, I’ve spent the last week, or so, researching this stuff and have come across piles of sources. I’m trying to do my homework and learn what to look for, but getting recommendations from you guys is ultra nice. Vetted vendors are reassuring!

Great, enjoy the process! I see that Incense Traditions has two grades of the Holy Land incense should you decide you want to try that one.
 
KyaraZen stocked by Kangiiten - Dreams of Dali Kingdom - Today this smells like a faint version of Dreams of Hainan, at least at the start. About mid way through though, we're back to nondescript smoke-y notes. It's a puzzling incense, I've had incense made from "shells" or "flake" agarwood come across more exciting and leaving a more beautiful after burn and scent on my hair and clothes.
 
Yeah there's no shame in learning from the bad stuff - often that's the only gateway to this whole thing that we are presented with.

Tibetan can be good it can also be pretty terrible depending on the formulation because there are cheap knock offs of the good medicinal stuff. Also even the best stuff can be very intense, I actually burn some of my Tibetan outdoors by placing it up wind of where I'm sitting when I'm doing a yardwork or having a campfire or something.


here's a collection of Tibetan sticks. I haven't ordered from this company in decades but these were one of the original sellers of the Baieido line in the US and they have been business for quite a long time.
That's where I got my Ho Ryu 20 years ago. Though I could have sworn they were kind of a new age shop catering to women back then.
 
That's where I got my Ho Ryu 20 years ago. Though I could have sworn they were kind of a new age shop catering to women back then.
they probably were! I've never been there but they've always been on the list of resellers at the Baieido USA page and I recall they used to host some product demonstrations and all of that so they should be knowledgeable. 20 years ago eh? Excellent!
 
Thank you, I think🙂 I'm going to try this charcoal. It is listed as "Vegan" on one website. As opposed to what? I had no idea that charcoal was an animal product..
Awesome. Let me know how they work out for you. I bought some high quality hookah charcoals and realied they are too hot. They make my resins release a lot of stinky chemicals and burn too quickly. Brasas charcoal let's them smolder beautifully.
 
Back
Top