Pretty decent incense haul just arrived from Wa no Kaori. Very happy. Have started with the sandalwood. Was very affordable and smells excellent. Proper Old Mountain sandalwood. No oils.🤙
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
 
I've also just burnt a stick of Tennendo - Frankincense. I've been wanting to get some of these for the longest time. These have a wood binder blended into them I'm sure. Are there a few different versions? They're very nice. I'm actually kind of glad they're not too spicy.
 
Got me nice big bags of yellow/orange frankincense and fresh-looking Yemeni myrrh, bought direct from the souq al-luban in Salalah, Oman. Paid only about 10 euro for 500 grams of resin. Might go back tonight for some green…even as a western tourist the asking price seems only to be about 12 euro for 250g for the green.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    IMG_0497.webp
    124.9 KB · Views: 37
  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    IMG_0495.webp
    206.4 KB · Views: 46
Got me nice big bags of yellow/orange frankincense and fresh-looking Yemeni myrrh, bought direct from the souq al-luban in Salalah, Oman. Paid only about 10 euro for 500 grams of resin. Might go back tonight for some green…even as a western tourist the asking price seems only to be about 12 euro for 250g for the green.
That's a lifetime supply right there!! Wow!
 
I've also just burnt a stick of Tennendo - Frankincense. I've been wanting to get some of these for the longest time. These have a wood binder blended into them I'm sure. Are there a few different versions? They're very nice. I'm actually kind of glad they're not too spicy.
Yea, they have two versions. One is just Frankincense with binder.. the other one has something else blended in it.
 
Yamadamatsu - Oju (鷹樹). Man, I don't know? Why do so many of these luxury brand incense sticks always smell like perfume? Is this really what premium Kalimantan agarwood smells like? Somehow I doubt it. It smells kind of generic to me. This is why sample sets are so valuable because if I went on the description alone, I'd be disappointed if I threw cash down on a whole box. Am I missing something?
 
Yamadamatsu - Oju (鷹樹). Man, I don't know? Why do so many of these luxury brand incense sticks always smell like perfume? Is this really what premium Kalimantan agarwood smells like? Somehow I doubt it. It smells kind of generic to me. This is why sample sets are so valuable because if I went on the description alone, I'd be disappointed if I threw cash down on a whole box. Am I missing something?

I can't stand the perfumed sticks. The Portland Japanese garden would sometimes stock some of the perfumed mid-high grade sticks from Nippon Kodo and I regret the times I purchased them. It's like licking soap somehow to me.
 
I can't stand the perfumed sticks. The Portland Japanese garden would sometimes stock some of the perfumed mid-high grade sticks from Nippon Kodo and I regret the times I purchased them. It's like licking soap somehow to me.
That's exactly the feeling I get from them, a sort of repulsion but I wasn't sure how to characterize it, but you captured it perfectly!
 
Yamadamatsu - Oju (鷹樹). Man, I don't know? Why do so many of these luxury brand incense sticks always smell like perfume? Is this really what premium Kalimantan agarwood smells like? Somehow I doubt it. It smells kind of generic to me. This is why sample sets are so valuable because if I went on the description alone, I'd be disappointed if I threw cash down on a whole box. Am I missing something?
For me this was my experience with the famed Kyara Ryugen by Minorien, I might try them again but let's just say it's not high on my list of sticks to light!
 
Yamadamatsu - Oju (鷹樹). Man, I don't know? Why do so many of these luxury brand incense sticks always smell like perfume? Is this really what premium Kalimantan agarwood smells like? Somehow I doubt it. It smells kind of generic to me. This is why sample sets are so valuable because if I went on the description alone, I'd be disappointed if I threw cash down on a whole box. Am I missing something?
This one mostly aroma-chemicals, not how kalimantan smells at all.

Basically my estimation is that this is the base they use in the Hojo sticks, just with more spices added on. You can smell the cloying maple syrup chemically smell thru all 4 of these sticks, to varying degrees.

I said this all awhile back in this thread too 😅
 
This one mostly aroma-chemicals, not how kalimantan smells at all.

Basically my estimation is that this is the base they use in the Hojo sticks, just with more spices added on. You can smell the cloying maple syrup chemically smell thru all 4 of these sticks, to varying degrees.

I said this all awhile back in this thread too 😅
I knew I recognized the scent. I mean, I've smelled these woods raw. These sticks are nothing like that. Marketing I guess huh?
 
as far as I can tell:

Japanese incense houses don’t "lie" — they simply never tell you enough to misunderstand them correctly.

The same applies to kyara.

Seems like kyara is a category and an ideal, not a literal promise about ingredient percentage or aroma dominance.

Saying something is “kyara” means the blend is expressing a classical kyara lineage: depth, sweetness, softness, balance.

Not that it contains a meaningful amount of top-grade kyara resin or that it will smell like raw kyara when burned.

A trace still counts, and often it’s about honoring the category rather than loading the formula.

The same logic applies to agarwood, ambergris, musk: these are category truths, not proportion claims, often included for lineage, fixation, or ritual completeness rather than overt smell. We tend to read these as ingredient claims - whereas Japanese houses mean them as expressions.

This is becoming ever more relevant as more houses are dropping natural ingredients and aroma chemicals are getting more advanced.

Hopefully this can save someone the thousands of dollars I had to spend to figure this out, lol.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top