potionspowdersandsundries - Nard rose


Jimmie(@potionspowdersandsundries) is an interesting person to talk with. he makes various perfume materials in a small batch and shares them with independent perfumers.
a while ago, Jimmie kindly shared his hand-crafted incenses and Nard-rose was one of the incenses that I have received.

Once it hits charcoal, it gently emits a fragrant citrusy rose scent that lifts the mood immediately. there other things than rose but I couldn't figure out what that is. thanks to supporting materials, it doesn't smell one-dimensional. usually, I don't like rose-based incense because they are mostly made with synthetic oils but this one is a whole natural composition. I don't get a headache! just a nice comforting, energizing rose scent.

If you are looking for a whole natural hand-made incense, you won't be disappointed with his incense.

Soundtrack: Poly Bridge Soundtrack - Campfire Dreams
Composited by Adrian Talens




potionspowdersandsundries - Cherry resin


Ball-shaped cherry resin from Jimmie(@potionspowdersandsundries).

What a fragrant cherry! I've never smelt anything like this in my life. it's very different compared to raw cherry, cherry-based perfume. it's sweet, fruity, leathery, smokey, floral. a full-bodied cherry scent experience it is!
I never expected cherry could smell leathery. but, it is distinctively cherry.

it's so lovely and playful. I really like this one.

Soundtrack: Poly Bridge Soundtrack - On The Road
Composited by Adrian Talens
Hi @Taesik Yun , i tried to find that (@potionspowdersandsundries) vendor/seller on instagram and also googled it, but the insta page is not active anymore. do you have contact infos of that person? thanks in advance
 
Oh dear! The first time I tried it I had the same impression, I actually burned a mini one of these yesterday evening and was finding it sweet and mellow!
Glad to hear it wasn't just me or my sinus infection -- I thought it was a well regarded stick. I'll try a half to a third next time. Thanks!
 
Minorien Sandalwood Fu-in
This is one of the stronger, rougher incenses I've burned lately. As the stick ended, my dog demanded to go outside for fresh air. 🤨 I don't think I'll be burning it again.
yeah I've tried the Fu-in aloeswood version, and to me it was a bit on the robust side, short burns on days when the windows could be open for that one. I loved it at first but found it a bit too much in the end with that damp vetiver aroma
 
Last edited:
Dreams of Chenla - Kangiiten. I dunno. I find this one kinda boring. Generally is too heady for a one room apartment. Agarwood note is linear. Stick continuously goes out. Meh.
Chase that stick by lighting a stick of Dreams of Merauke .... That's what I'm doing here, last stick in my box, which I got I think around Feb. 20th ish and have lit them up without concern of running out, just enjoying and man ... just as incredible as the first time I tried!
 
Chase that stick by lighting a stick of Dreams of Merauke .... That's what I'm doing here, last stick in my box, which I got I think around Feb. 20th ish and have lit them up without concern of running out, just enjoying and man ... just as incredible as the first time I tried!
You know me well brother because that's exactly what I did! So good!!
 
View attachment 51914

what about charcoal of the day? jajaja I'm in Mexico and away from all my ouds but I brought yemeni bakhoor a student gifted me FROM Yemen, four different kinds of copal, and a small selection of agarwood (Cambodi, Hindi Char) I brought with me.

Anyways, this charcoal is almost paper-light, and it gives off a lot of smoke upon lighting, so much that you really need to light them outdoors (I light them on my balcony). But what's great about them is that by the time they ash over they are the PERFECT temperature for agarwood. I can put on any size piece of wood and the temp will cause it to first release fragrance, then slightly bubble, and eventually smoke.
Thank you, I think🙂 I'm going to try this charcoal. It is listed as "Vegan" on one website. As opposed to what? I had no idea that charcoal was an animal product..
 
yeah I've tried the Fu-in aloeswood version, and to me it was a bit on the robust side, short burns on days when the windows could be open for that one. I loved it at first but found it a bit too much in the end with that damp vetiver aroma
Do you know what Minorien means by the "wet" or damp impression they're known for? I suspect that's what bothered me and my girl.
 
Do you know what Minorien means by the "wet" or damp impression they're known for? I suspect that's what bothered me and my girl.
I puzzled over that myself for a while and came to the conclusion that it was just the earthy cool smell of vetiver. To me at least it was as much a vetiver fragrance as an aloeswood.
 
Do you know what Minorien means by the "wet" or damp impression they're known for? I suspect that's what bothered me and my girl.
Maybe some kind of style made by adding oils etc.
This brand one of the brands i can't handle, whenever i try stick my irritation level hit max.
Probably its because of the oils they use..., I can't handle oils in sticks they just aren't for me and my nose, lots of irritation in nose etc
 
Maybe some kind of style made by adding oils etc.
This brand one of the brands i can't handle, whenever i try stick my irritation level hit max.
Probably its because of the oils they use..., I can't handle oils in sticks they just aren't for me and my nose, lots of irritation in nose etc
yeah it's a curiosity the first few times you burn it, then just way too cloying and monotonous and persistent.
 
Maybe some kind of style made by adding oils etc.
This brand one of the brands i can't handle, whenever i try stick my irritation level hit max.
Probably its because of the oils they use..., I can't handle oils in sticks they just aren't for me and my nose, lots of irritation in nose etc
I remembered conversations from here about people disliking oils in sticks so when it’s explicitly mentioned, I avoid it. This bothered my lungs.
 
I’m going to muster my courage and post this here. For background, up until about a week ago, the only incense I knew about were the cheap, headshop sticks you can get. When I started getting more into Buddhism, I purchased a mala from a place that also sold “Tibetan incense.” To that end, I have no clue what this is, just that I like the smell. I’ve got subs on the way and plan to learn more about this world, but for right now, I have no clue what this one is other than “Tibetan incense!”

I’d love some info on where to find better sticks, though. You guys are clearly into another world with what you’re doing here and I want to know more about it!

[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
 
I’m going to muster my courage and post this here. For background, up until about a week ago, the only incense I knew about were the cheap, headshop sticks you can get. When I started getting more into Buddhism, I purchased a mala from a place that also sold “Tibetan incense.” To that end, I have no clue what this is, just that I like the smell. I’ve got subs on the way and plan to learn more about this world, but for right now, I have no clue what this one is other than “Tibetan incense!”

I’d love some info on where to find better sticks, though. You guys are clearly into another world with what you’re doing here and I want to know more about it!

View attachment 52141
Tibetan are often one of the few natural types available in shops otherwise stocked with aroma chemical heavy head shop type fragrances so you were drawn to the right thing! I'm excited for you because if you have this deep appreciation of tea, you are right at the brink of an absolutely wonderful rabbit hole, probably just about perfectly primed to make the best of it!

One classic that gets repeated mention are the "Holy Land" sticks from Tibetan Medical College. I think I have that right. There are two different grades, probably worth getting the higher quality if you can find it. I don't know where to get them anymore because my source shut down. Very intense full rich fragrance, roots and woods, resin spices and herbs… Very intense and medicinal.

One reputable incense source is www.japanincense.com - last I checked they had a wide array of incense and raw wood options.

Given your interest in tea, I would think heating the raw wood specimens themselves would give you some of the greatest satisfaction, that in combination with some fine tea is just as rustic and at the same time beautiful and refined an experience as I can imagine.
 
Tibetan are often one of the few natural types available in shops otherwise stocked with aroma chemical heavy head shop type fragrances so you were drawn to the right thing! I'm excited for you because if you have this deep appreciation of tea, you are right at the brink of an absolutely wonderful rabbit hole, probably just about perfectly primed to make the best of it!

One classic that gets repeated mention are the "Holy Land" sticks from Tibetan Medical College. I think I have that right. There are two different grades, probably worth getting the higher quality if you can find it. I don't know where to get them anymore because my source shut down. Very intense full rich fragrance, roots and woods, resin spices and herbs… Very intense and medicinal.

One reputable incense source is www.japanincense.com - last I checked they had a wide array of incense and raw wood options.

Given your interest in tea, I would think heating the raw wood specimens themselves would give you some of the greatest satisfaction, that in combination with some fine tea is just as rustic and at the same time beautiful and refined an experience as I can imagine.

You’ve nailed the source of my motivation. Combustionless natural aromas are what I’m so fervently interested in (all of a sudden?). I’m glad to hear what you said about the Tibetan incense, too. These are the only ones that never smelt so cloying to me. I know there are powerful natural fragrances, but some of that stuff burns and you can just tell it’s full of additives. The Tibetan ones smell way less fabricated and have that almost punky, sour smell to them that reinforces my belief that they’re at least legit, low quality as they may be. An old boss used to tell me, “The truth is good enough,” meaning - I shouldn’t be ashamed of these low quality sticks because, if not for them, I wouldn’t have arrived here. So, in spite of how pedestrian they are, I should appreciate their role in my story because it ushered me to the entrance of this rabbit hole!
 
Maybe some kind of style made by adding oils etc.
This brand one of the brands i can't handle, whenever i try stick my irritation level hit max.
Probably its because of the oils they use..., I can't handle oils in sticks they just aren't for me and my nose, lots of irritation in nose etc
Agree 100%. They aren't for me either. Instant headache and unnatural scent. I'm always surprised when a stick is called "agarwood" or "sandalwood" only to discover when burnt they smell nothing like what they claim to be other than some overly sweet perfume? The Minoren sticks are like this for me.
 
I’m going to muster my courage and post this here. For background, up until about a week ago, the only incense I knew about were the cheap, headshop sticks you can get. When I started getting more into Buddhism, I purchased a mala from a place that also sold “Tibetan incense.” To that end, I have no clue what this is, just that I like the smell. I’ve got subs on the way and plan to learn more about this world, but for right now, I have no clue what this one is other than “Tibetan incense!”

I’d love some info on where to find better sticks, though. You guys are clearly into another world with what you’re doing here and I want to know more about it!

View attachment 52141
Oudique had Tibet incense that I really enjoyed. They don’t sell it anymore. And it was my favorite 🙁
 
Back
Top