I want it!
yeah I'd like a big jug of it just to get me through the snowstorm here... could use the calm… It's so cold that I'm worried the waterline from the spring is going to freeze up and I will be out of water for a while. Hoping we don't lose power, it's not that unusual to get an outage with a big storm up here.
 
@Mr.P , my artist friend, I had a diffcult time reading the paper, it IS highly technical, but I did read the whole thing from intro to acknowledgements (which is strange, cause I can read Derrida without problems). But I have one question that the paper didn’t state, does incensole acetate (IA) have an odor? It is an isolated from olibanum, but does it smell and if it does have a smell, I’m going to start using it for sure!

Also, I’m not up-to-date on my Bible readings, but wasn’t Jesus offered a cup of wine with myrrh in it to numb his pain on the cross? I know he was embalmed with aloes (oud), but didn’t he refuse the cup of wine with myrrh? I have to look it up…. I also have to look up if incensole acetate (IA) Has an odor profile… Doing these now!
Okay, none of the big chemical houses have it on quick glance, like Sigma Aldrich, but it’s classifed as a “research chemical,” and not a material (isolate) for perfumery. Too bad…
 
i've always liked the solvent extracts and resin much more than the distilled oil, perhaps subconsciously I'm enjoying the IA and not actually the difference in smell.

at one point I compared a bunch of different solvent extracts - an extract (co2 I think) of Boswellia serrata had the highest % of IA by far. I don't know if this is generally true.
Well let me research this! Cause I have olibanum absolute 50%
 
Well let me research this! Cause I have olibanum absolute 50%
Yep, I found a CO2 extraction of Boswellia serrata. Now, it’s not cheap, nor is it very expensive, and it’s from a vendor I sometimes go to when she has something intresting available. I’ll write her an ask her what the odor profile is because the description provided isn’t very thorough.
 
Yep, I found a CO2 extraction of Boswellia serrata. Now, it’s not cheap, nor is it very expensive, and it’s from a vendor I sometimes go to when she has something intresting available. I’ll write her an ask her what the odor profile is because the description provided isn’t very thorough.
The IA shows up on GCMS reports so if you can order from someone who offers that level of QA you can get a sense for what you're getting.
 
yeah I'd like a big jug of it just to get me through the snowstorm here... could use the calm… It's so cold that I'm worried the waterline from the spring is going to freeze up and I will be out of water for a while. Hoping we don't lose power, it's not that unusual to get an outage with a big storm up here.
Right? It’s supposed to get to 16” of snow here in Brooklyn too! I just woke up about an hour ago and decided to forgo work and play online, so your post was perfect for that!

Here’s the odor profile of the CO2 of the serrata: citrus, flowers, resin, bark, soil, ozone. Light and airy. Not too heavy. No smoke.

The “flowers” and ”soil, ozone” is interesting, but I can’t afford it until next paycheck. Damn.
 
I just checked the Indian CO2 at Eden - that extract has no detectable IA so don't get that one. Somalia co2 is 0.4%,
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
i've always liked the solvent extracts and resin much more than the distilled oil, perhaps subconsciously I'm enjoying the IA and not actually the difference in smell.

at one point I compared a bunch of different solvent extracts - an extract (co2 I think) of Boswellia serrata had the highest % of IA by far. I don't know if this is generally true.
I should correct myself, Sigma-Aldrich does sell it, as a research chemical and in mgs units. lol, I don't think a couple of mgs is going to modify or add to a natural fragrance.
 
.4% is way too

What percentage would you need? I was under the impression that the researchers thought that there was enough in the resin to have an effect when it is burned, so I would assume the amount in the oil would also be enough? Who knows? certainly not me!

* just did a little more digging and I discovered that I know even less than I thought because I see a paper which shows some IA in a Hydro distilled oil they give a relative abundance of .35%.

it really is a pretty big service when a vendor makes a GCMS report available along side of the products they carry. It is such a nice resource and for that reason alone I tend to browse Eden's catalog more than their competitors- it's great to be able to pull up multiple reports for the various batches of each that they've carried for those times when I'm wanting to understand the make up of a typical oil a little bit better. It's like a free library - Eden is a great resource in this respect.
 
Last edited:
Went with Baieido Kyara Kokoh the other day.

Not overly Kyara-like, but I smell the real deal in it. I still treasure this stick.
is that the very top of the line or is this the lower grade stick? I smelled someone burning one of their very highest end kyara sticks in 2002 or so - it was a product demonstration session from Baieido in one of the retailer's shops in PDX. It's the only other stick I've smelled that was as intensely saturated with the green kyara aroma as translucent path. I'm not a real stick connoisseur but I have never smelled anything like those two and no other stick that I have sampled from baieido was like that one demoed in the shop - clean green kyara sharp and saturated, no filler or tabu or camphor or competing notes. I thought that was the kokoh... this is a memory from early on in my path but it was a very striking memory.
 
You could say that it’s the top of their line.
My batch is around 10 years old, I’m satisfied with it. It certainly reminds me of the green oil kyara I had from a Baieido Rikkokoku set.
yeah who knows how it would smell to me today, the one time I experienced it was when I was first learning about some of the different varieties. I smelled another one of their straight kyara sticks, I think a price level below the kokoh and it also had the green kinam note, but it was not the dominant scent and it was in a more general woody context. Your description reminds me of that a little bit. Again these are memories from 2002/3 so who knows. that one stick was so remarkable though - a peak experience for me when compared against my other recollections, whatever the reason.
 
@Mr.P , my artist friend, I had a diffcult time reading the paper, it IS highly technical, but I did read the whole thing from intro to acknowledgements (which is strange, cause I can read Derrida without problems). But I have one question that the paper didn’t state, does incensole acetate (IA) have an odor? It is an isolated from olibanum, but does it smell and if it does have a smell, I’m going to start using it for sure!

Also, I’m not up-to-date on my Bible readings, but wasn’t Jesus offered a cup of wine with myrrh in it to numb his pain on the cross? I know he was embalmed with aloes (oud), but didn’t he refuse the cup of wine with myrrh? I have to look it up…. I also have to look up if incensole acetate (IA) Has an odor profile… Doing these now!
This might be relevant to the conversation? https://apothecarysgarden.com/blogs/blog/frankincense-as-medicine-truth-myth-and-misinformation
 
Kikujudo Koboku Ginmi Agarwood Indonesia. Quite a bit drier in scent than the Vietnamese stick.Slightly resinous but has an overall lingering of that burnt wood note. I find it a bit difficult listening to these kind as you have to seach for the underlying sweetness through a cloud of acrid burnt toast. Silght musk. Meh.
 
Back
Top